Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Need to reinforce top box rack

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by SEG, Nov 19, 2017.

1. SEG

SEG Tuned and Synch'ed

Has anyone reinforced a top case rack mount on a 1400T?
    The top box rack for my 1400T cracked within three months. The 50 liter Guzzi top box is heavy enough that placing more than 10 lbs over stresses the rack supports. I replaced the top box rack with a Guzzi sissy bar/luggage rack combo. That's a temporary solution.
    I would like to go back to using the top case, and that will require buying another rack designed for a top case-but won't do so until I find a way to reinforce the top case mount. Has anyone overcome this challenge? Thanks.

2. Curt Russell

Curt Russell Tuned and Synch'ed

I’ve got a Ca 1400 and the rack Broke on mine as well. I had a welder just put a good beefy weld on it and it’s been fine since. Better than new since you can’t even see weld with the top box on.

3. Curt Russell

There is a thread somewhere in this forum as this is not uncommon.

4. SEG

SEG Tuned and Synch'ed

Thank you. I did a search and read the posts as suggested. I will buy a new rack, and have a welder reinforce it along any place that may crack. I don't have the rack that cracked (tossed it over a year ago), so I'll have to rely on my memory to try to recall exactly where it cracked. It did crack on both sides. Before noticing the cracks, I installed a rack on top of the top case to pack light bulky items. I'd like the rack beefy enough to hold a sizable load. Thanks for the replies. I have after market shocks (Matris) so I'm not concerned about the handling--only the rack.

5. Curt Russell

Sure is a shame that you have to reinforce a brand new rack. The welder I used said that the tubing used on the rack is really thin metal. I wonder if Hepco Becker or someone else makes a better top case rack for this bike.