• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Needle swipe .. twice is it normal? 2013 V7 racer

vteec

Just got it firing!
Hi
I have just acquired a 2013 V7 racer.
Bike has very low kms and close to new in condition.

Love it already. What a fantastic motorcycle.

I noticed that the needles swipe the clocks as soon you turn the key and again when the engine fires up.

My previous motorcycles (none where guzzis) only used to do one swipe before the engine startup.

Is this normal please?

Last edited:
Have you checked with a dealer? I don't have a V7, but if it runs OK I wouldn't worry about it too much.

No I did not check at a dealer.

I usually do most maintenance myself.

Bike runs fine but I have been reading stories about electrical issues and was concerned.

Two sweeps is quite odd. Typically it is one sweep and start to idle. I would have the dealer investigate.
I would also check the charging voltage at idle and 3k RPM. There is a long thread on over-charging here.

I would also clean your battery terminals. Sounds to me that the voltage available to the dashboard drops below some predetermined value when the starter is operated.

Hi and thank you for your inputs.

I found my battery voltage low, bike was not being used by previous owner.
Terminals are clean.

But if you think this could be because of a drop in voltage, the low battery issue would be hopefully the reason for this.

I am now charging the battery and will check again.

Will revert.

Battery looks fully charged. Still with two swipes.
I noticed that I have an unplugged connector behind the dash - is this for the MG multimedia platform?

Thank you

Battery looks fully charged. Still with two swipes.
I noticed that I have an unplugged connector behind the dash - is this for the MG multimedia platform?

Thank you

Just because it is fully charged doesn't mean it has the reserve needed. Fully charge the battery again. Then have a multi meter connected when you do a start. Observe the voltage drop and report back.

I think your talking about the TomTom GPS plug in that is loose behind the dash. I recently had the battery in my pickup truck fail. It charged perfectly fine but was defective.

Yes thank you it's the tom tom plug.

I have hooked up the voltmeter and found my batttery at 12.5v at rest and went to 14.7 at idle and over 15 at 3K.

This would point me at a faulty regulator but do you think it's related to the twin sweep as well?

Yes thank you it's the tom tom plug.

I have hooked up the voltmeter and found my batttery at 12.5v at rest and went to 14.7 at idle and over 15 at 3K.

This would point me at a faulty regulator but do you think it's related to the twin sweep as well?

Over charging will ruin a battery and over voltage may damage the electronics. Charging shouldn't exceed 14 to 14.5 volts. What was the voltage drop when you pressed the starter button?

Voltage went down to 8. But shot up to 14 plus almost instantly as soon as it started.

I cannot understand why MG never issued a recall on the regulator.

I doubt whether this is a regulator issue, except that it might have shagged your battery. The battery is stuffed and you should replace it before it strands you.

Voltage went down to 8. But shot up to 14 plus almost instantly as soon as it started.

I cannot understand why MG never issued a recall on the regulator.

8 volts is below the usual threshold of 10 volts. That may be causing the second sweep. You need to get the charging system corrected or you will just toast the next battery.

As an update.

Bike was hooked up to battery charger for two days, started bike and same two sweep symptoms.

Went out for a 60km ride. And noticed that it is not doing it anymore.

Now I'm more confused if battery is defective how come it's functioning as it should now?

Good question. After the bike sits a day or 2 and the double sweep doesn't happen again you have dispelled your gremlin. If it comes back, well.....

Back