• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Neutral Light failure on heat soaked engine

Richard Martin

Just got it firing!
Anyone experienced the neutral light failing to come on after being stopped for a while with a heat soaked engine. This never occurs with the engine cold, only after being stopped following a minimum half hour run. The engine is always turned off when in neutral.
The model is a 1200 4V Sport, hatched in 2010 with now 31,000km on the clock.
I suspect the sensor on top of the gearbox is being affected by both heat and age. Any thoughts on this ?

Sometimes the connection to the sensor is not good. However once you get to it to check the connection, you might as well just replace the sensor. Do make sure you have a good, clean connection before you button everything up.

If you want to just fix connection and are good using a long needle nose pliers, it's doable. I reach in and slide the connector off, It's a top hat post on sensor and the spade connector has a slot in it, I just squeeze slightly on the spade and make sure it's a snug fit w/you slide it back on. I find that easier than removing the tank & airbox unless it's the sensor. By now it could have a bit of corrosion on it too.

I did replace the sensor with a new one and also discovered another avenue to get at the thing without removing the tank and airbox. Take off the right hand side front footrest and brake assembly. Four bolts and zip tie it to the frame further back and access to the neutral sensor is easy.
Incidently the problem was fixed with a new part. Good as gold since.

Interesting that the neutral switch doesn't appear in any of the spare parts manuals I have. I also looked thru the Norge and Breva without success.

Perhaps my eyes are just painted on?

I have this same exact problem. But I can’t find the sensor. Could anyone help point me in the right direction please? Can it be seen from the side or is it from looking up from beneath? I’m not usually this stupid.

thanks,

david

I have this same exact problem. But I can’t find the sensor. Could anyone help point me in the right direction please? Can it be seen from the side or is it from looking up from beneath? I’m not usually this stupid.

thanks,

david

At the rear of the gearbox on the top side. It is buried under the battery holder so not easy to get to like on a 5 speed.

Well, I decided to tackle this today and I have to say I doff my Moto-Guzzi cap to you guys that can change that sensor from the side. I ended up with tank and air box off again.

Having removed the sensor I can see why the connection is dodgy. Amongst a very big list of crap design choices made in Mandello del Lario this has to be near the top.

Attachments

• FEE70C5B-EA7B-457B-AAB2-2D9729C9AA14.jpeg
    FEE70C5B-EA7B-457B-AAB2-2D9729C9AA14.jpeg
    43.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 3B49F288-CD61-4399-937A-D9976CC785C8.jpeg
    3B49F288-CD61-4399-937A-D9976CC785C8.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 855AF31C-74CB-4579-A959-95555E8EB7D2.jpeg
    855AF31C-74CB-4579-A959-95555E8EB7D2.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 18
The neutral light switch on my B1100 failed having done about 50,000 miles. I went through all the connection checks to no avail and eventually took it out, checked it's operation which was OK. I found in my collection of old unloved washers one that was the same size and type as the original but 0.5mm thick instead of the original which was 1mm thick. Problem solved.

The neutral light switch on my B1100 failed having done about 50,000 miles. I went through all the connection checks to no avail and eventually took it out, checked it's operation which was OK. I found in my collection of old unloved washers one that was the same size and type as the original but 0.5mm thick instead of the original which was 1mm thick. Problem solved.
Hi Davy, you beat me to it! My sensor also tested out good but there was a bit of play in the spring so I swapped it out with a new one. I also wired in a new spade connector as well. But after fitting it still didn’t work until I backed it out a bit and fitted a washer.

Back