RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, Happy 2019! Note all of our products and custom bike builds are now on our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com. You may need a new username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. NOTE: We are not Amazon, we are a tiny one man operation. Thanks for your patience on orders. GuzziTech is now back to our origins; Enjoy the Guzzi Community Forum and Resources here. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx®) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine from 2000 until 2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work via our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our Seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

Neutral Light failure on heat soaked engine

Discussion in 'CARC' started by Richard Martin, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin Just got it firing!

Anyone experienced the neutral light failing to come on after being stopped for a while with a heat soaked engine. This never occurs with the engine cold, only after being stopped following a minimum half hour run. The engine is always turned off when in neutral.
    The model is a 1200 4V Sport, hatched in 2010 with now 31,000km on the clock.
    I suspect the sensor on top of the gearbox is being affected by both heat and age. Any thoughts on this ?

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

Sometimes the connection to the sensor is not good. However once you get to it to check the connection, you might as well just replace the sensor. Do make sure you have a good, clean connection before you button everything up.

3. V700Steve

V700Steve Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

If you want to just fix connection and are good using a long needle nose pliers, it's doable. I reach in and slide the connector off, It's a top hat post on sensor and the spade connector has a slot in it, I just squeeze slightly on the spade and make sure it's a snug fit w/you slide it back on. I find that easier than removing the tank & airbox unless it's the sensor. By now it could have a bit of corrosion on it too.

Bill Hagan and john zibell like this.
  4. Richard Martin

Thanks John and Steve,
    I will try the long nose pliers first and failing that, whip the tank and airbox off to get at the thing. Not much wriggle room there.
    Cheers.

5. Richard Martin

I did replace the sensor with a new one and also discovered another avenue to get at the thing without removing the tank and airbox. Take off the right hand side front footrest and brake assembly. Four bolts and zip tie it to the frame further back and access to the neutral sensor is easy.
    Incidently the problem was fixed with a new part. Good as gold since.

john zibell and V700Steve like this.
  6. V700Steve

V700Steve Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Good tip to give you more room to work at it.

7. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Interesting that the neutral switch doesn't appear in any of the spare parts manuals I have. I also looked thru the Norge and Breva without success.

Perhaps my eyes are just painted on?