Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Nevada Horns Stopped Working

Discussion in 'Small Block' started by Michael Goodwin, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Michael Goodwin

Michael Goodwin Just got it firing!

Hi all. I have a 2005 Nevada 750 on which the horns have been getting weaker and weaker over the last six months. They now will not work at all. (Well occasionally a faint beep). When I hit the button (ignition key on but motor not started) I see the headlight dim significantly, and I hear a low volume thud sound, not unlike you would get when trying to start the bike with a low battery.

The starter seems to be fine and the bike starts and runs normally. I removed the battery and checked the voltage, finding 12.8v across the terminals. The horns have two wires feeding each unit. They seem to be wired in series. There is good connectivity between the two horns through one wire on each, and the other wire on each horn has good connectivity to ground. There is good connectivity across the two terminals of each horn unit. I initially suspected the handlebar switch, but did a close inspection and everything looks ok.

Not sure how this circuit works, maybe through a relay, or by simply closing the loop to ground. If anyone can shed some light I would be most appreciative. Without the horn I can't get the bike inspected.

Thanks all.
    Mike G, Long Island Guzzista

2. Kevin.NZ

Kevin.NZ Cruisin' Guzzisti

I'm sure the horns are wired in parallel otherwise each one would be a 6v horn and i don't think they are made. Not sure on your bike but my Breva is powered via a relay. If the horn push dims the headlight i would suspect a faulty horn or a short to earth on the wiring, disconnect one horn at a time to locate it. don't keep using it as it seems you have a large current draw and you could damage the wiring.