• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Nevada OEM Rear Suspension

Mike.C

High Miler
I have jus ridden the Minster's Nevada home from getting it serviced the ride has spurred me into action. I recon the standard rear shocks and springs could be improved upon. The bike just doesn't handle like a sport cruiser should, we have previously played with the preload up down and round about, but in the end just set it according to the static sag theory, problem is it didn't make much difference and so it seems that the OEM shocks and springs are crap and made to a price not a performance standard (not surprising really).

So question is what are the alternatives to the OEM set-up; Hyper Pro, Wilbers etc etc etc or some other wiz bang bit of gear? Maybe Todd has a solution?

Excellent - thanks John I've seen adds for Ikon in the mags - best bit is they are made here so might see how much their offering is. from Will's list I've also pinged an email to Hagons in the UK, but exchange rate might kill me there - we shall see.

I'm sure Todd will talk you into a pair of YSS-shocks if he can get a chance. :laugh:

The OEM anonymous shocks on the early Brevas (-and though I dont know I suppose the Nevadas are following all the way) really were piles of crap, not being able to keep the wheel on the tarmac. On later models Guzzi changed to Sachs shocks, recognized by the latticed upper sleeve. I would think they are a bit better. At least somebody dared to put a label on them. :dry:

I bought the Wilber Eco shocks very soon after purchasing the bike. Expensive, but very nicely made, progressive and quite stiff springs, damping MUCH better both for compression and rebound. The Ecos are not adjustable (preset load is, of course), but the complete shock are made to your weight and riding style. I don't do much short trips or commuting, but goes for touring through Europe, prefferbly on back roads, always solo-riding. So far I have absolutely no complaints.
Also I changed the fork springs to Wilbers. Same thing; stiffer and progressive. Can be recommended.

If you wanna fancy style, forget it. Öhlins don't make shocks for the Breva/Nevada. :woohoo:

My 2006 Breva 750 comes with Sachs. Unfortunately it is very frustrating to not be able to give an opinion. I am inexperienced. They seem fine to me, though, since they are my first shocks on my first bike! :)

However, I should begin to learn more about it. Have you guys come accross any site or publication that might be helpful?

Simple Mike, tell me what you want to spend, and I'll fit it in. ;)
I can get you Wilbers ($$$$) or YSS ($$).
Ping me direct for more info.

Guzzimundi wrote:
However, I should begin to learn more about it. Have you guys come accross any site or publication that might be helpful?

Excellent idea - Complex subject, often full of back yard experts (like me) who actually have only a little knowledge that is decidedly dangerous :eek:hmy:

The Tech info on this web site - Click Here is an excellent starter, and then I am sure Todd will be happy to help you part with some cash.

Happy reading, but I warn you chasing suspension setup Nirvana can be an expensive road to travel - trick is to know when it is "good enough" for your riding style, as all suspension is a compromise and will never be perfect for every road/riding condition.

BTW welcome to the Guzzi assylum and biking in general - it's a life long affliction no matter when you start....

Mike.C wrote:
Guzzimundi wrote:

The Tech info on this web site - Click Here is an excellent starter, and then I am sure Todd will be happy to help you part with some cash.

Happy reading, but I warn you chasing suspension setup Nirvana can be an expensive road to travel - trick is to know when it is "good enough" for your riding style, as all suspension is a compromise and will never be perfect for every road/riding condition.

Thanks, Mike. That's a very helpful site on a subject that seems like vodoo to me. :blink:

I would not take the Hagons. Good value for money, but no top material if you want a 'sports'cruiser

frans belgium wrote:
I would not take the Hagons. Good value for money, but no top material if you want a 'sports'cruiser

Hagon's got a bad reputation here as well, but looking at the homepage indicates a lot of new models possibly of higher quality?
Lawrence - don't know if he's on this board any more - mounted Fournales on his Breva.
I don't think he is quite satisfied with that choice either.

Holt wrote:
I'm sure Todd will talk you into a pair of YSS-shocks if he can get a chance. :laugh:

The OEM anonymous shocks on the early Brevas (-and though I dont know I suppose the Nevadas are following all the way) really were piles of crap, not being able to keep the wheel on the tarmac. On later models Guzzi changed to Sachs shocks, recognized by the latticed upper sleeve. I would think they are a bit better. At least somebody dared to put a label on them. :dry:

I bought the Wilber Eco shocks very soon after purchasing the bike. Expensive, but very nicely made, progressive and quite stiff springs, damping MUCH better both for compression and rebound. The Ecos are not adjustable (preset load is, of course), but the complete shock are made to your weight and riding style. I don't do much short trips or commuting, but goes for touring through Europe, prefferbly on back roads, always solo-riding. So far I have absolutely no complaints.
Also I changed the fork springs to Wilbers. Same thing; stiffer and progressive. Can be recommended.

If you wanna fancy style, forget it. Öhlins don't make shocks for the Breva/Nevada. :woohoo:

But Holt, exactly what differences did you find between the stock shocks and the Wilbers? How was the ride affected? What did you feel exactly?

Thanks all, just ordered a set of Ikon 7614's which is what they recommended for the Nevada Classic IE.

Link HERE

Price offered was as follows.
Standard (black spring): $589.50
With chrome Spring: $634.50
With chrome Spring and Chrome Bling top cover: $675

Prices are AUD and don't include Australian GST but include delivery to me here in BNE. If you are OS you won't be charged the 10% GST anyway, I suspect the freight component is about $10 - $15. Just to be different I ordered black spring and chrome cover B) Should be here next week, I'll let you know how the go.

Guzzimundi wrote:

But Holt, exactly what differences did you find between the stock shocks and the Wilbers? How was the ride affected? What did you feel exactly?

Main feature was finding the back wheel stick to the ground also on uneven surfaces. :dry:

Driving straight ahead mainly isn't a problem, but loosing a wheel in a tarmac paved curve could be a reason for a quick change of underwear. That happened a couple of times - loosing wheels, not underwear change ;) - with the old shocks, which was the reason for changing.
I have had the experience also with the Wilbers, but it has been very controllable.

Well we got the shocks from IKON just before Christmas and I got them on just in time for our week away starting Tuedsday January 6th.

Initial impressions:

1) Be careful putting a set of motorcycle shocks under the Christmas tree wrapped in appropriate paper and with a card saying "To My Dear Wife" - it could get ugly, but happily in this case we all lived happily ever after....

2) Be aware that the bushes needed are 12mm ID, they sent 10mm ones!!!!!!! I just machined them out, but of course I have access to a machine shop - without which you would be buggered.

3) Shocks look nice, finish is good and overall impression is a nicely made bit of gear.

4) Fitting was easy.

But found out that Luig had been goofing off again when he assembled the bike - see later post.

So what's the verdict? We have just put 2200km on them in the last week over all kinds of roads, mostly fully loaded with panniers, top box and gear... Australian country roads are often very bad with extemely rough surface and frequent potholes, a taxing task for any suspension setup.

I can report that the difference is worth the effort/expense. The bike has been transformed from a very harsh ride with the Sachs shocks to a very comfortable but road hugging ride - just as a sport cruiser should be. Twisties are great and the adjustable dampening allows altering of the ride for load on board without tools while away on a trip should the need arise, for example a day trip sans luggage. The Minister reported that she did not feel the need to be constantly avoiding rough road patches, while loved the ride through the twisties with the suspension adjusted up using the infinite pre-load giving a tight feel to the bike's handling with no tendancy for the bike to wallow with a load on courtesy of the adjustable 4 position dampening. All in all a good mod.

For those interested and the actual price in the end was $523.64 + $31.81 freight to us here in Brisbane. We then have to pay a 10% GST tax on top which does not apply if you are not in Oz.

When I was taking the Sachs shocks off I couldn't understand why the RHS lower mount looked different until I got it off and found that Luig had been at it again.

The pic below shows how the lower mount bushing must have been since the bike was new because there was a spiders' web inside the end ring where the bushing should have been. Might be a wise move to have a quick look at yours if you have a Nevada, as this could have been trip ending if it had gone while away from home...

Back