• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New 2014 Norge GT8V problem?

Roy Denny

Just got it firing!
Hi, Just got a new 2014 Norge GT8V. Put 515 miles on it. Ran perfect. Just now started up was running rough with a misfire. I was very low on fuel so rode 5 miles to the station. Misfiring the whole way. When I got there the motor was hot. A clear plastic vent tube(battery)? was melting on the exhaust catalyst/collector and caught fire for a second. Put it out quickly with my glove and ripped out the clear vent tube. Cooled off gassed up and now seems fine. What happened? ECU glitch? Did I not wait long enough for the ECU to do its thing before firing the engine? Any thoughts are appreciated. I need to go in for my first service in about 400 miles anyway. Thanks,

Unless you put over 5-1/2 gallons of gas in to fill it up it should have been ok on gas. The battery has no clear tube, at least not on my 2007. The only clear tube I can think of is the drain tube for the airbox which is much larger in diameter than a battery vent tube. My experience with fuel injection set up as the Norge is that there is no misfire when low on fuel. You run low, lose fuel pressure, engine quits or at least stumbles till enoigh fuel sloshes near the pump for it to get pressure again.
What caused your miss? Haven't a clue so hopefully some of the gurus here can tell you.

Crappy US fuel gets blamed for everything but is rarely the problem.

How about the spark plug boots I've read so much about on the 8V engine?

Quick update...after checking the AF1 Racing site and the Norge 8V parts catalog I can confirm that the clear plastic tube that melted onto the exhaust collector was the airbox vent tube. Still don't know why the bike was misfiring and running so hot for that short distance. I've started the bike three times since and no issues. She seems to run fine. I no longer have the airbox vent tube mounted as a good amount of it melted. I'll speak to the dealer when I bring it in for first service but I would still appreciate any insights this group may have. I'm thinking it was an ECU glitch on startup. When restarting I give it a few seconds to boot up before hitting the starter button. Thoughts???

So, prior to this did you turn the key and start it right away? I'm asking because I also have a 2014 GT8V and I always wait until it's done it's 'thing' before I hit the start button.

I usually wait before I hit the starter button after turning on the key. This one time I may have rushed it and the result was a misfire and poor running. Exhaust got way too hot. It only happened once. Since then I've started the bike at least a half dozen times while waiting a few seconds for it to boot up. The problem has not recurred. Still a bit of a mystery but I think patience on the start up is key. This is my first fuel injected bike.

The time needed for the "sweep" of the gauges is for the ECU to read all of the sensors for a baseline. If you don't wait, it reverts to the last running conditions, and usually results in poor running or worse. Give it the few seconds before hitting the start button.

Thanks Guys....Patience is a virtue! I'll make sure to wait the few seconds for the ECU to boot up properly prior to hitting the start button. I'll need to replace the airbox drain tube when I bring it in for the initial service. Love the Norge....just still getting familiar with it.

I am sure by now you have resoled the problem. I also have 2014 Norge and before my first service at 600 miles it did the same thing, miss fire almost like it was running on one cylinder. If I turned it off and restarted it would run normal. After the first service and a valve adjustment has not happened again. I now have nearly 10,000 miles on it.

I am sure by now you have resoled the problem. I also have 2014 Norge and before my first service at 600 miles it did the same thing, miss fire almost like it was running on one cylinder. If I turned it off and restarted it would run normal. After the first service and a valve adjustment has not happened again. I now have nearly 10,000 miles on it.
Thanks Kevin...Yes problem solved. I just need to let the ECU boot up before hitting the start button. My first fuel injected bike. I enjoy riding this bike a lot.

Back