• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Bike Quiz

BrianR

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
I just made a deal for a new old bike. When I was three in 1958, my father would come home from the shipyards on the Tyne River on his bike and if I were lucky, my mother would take me to the top of the alley and we could see my Dad on the corner, I would run down and holding me onto the fairing, he would sprint up the hill. It was the precursor of loving motorcycles and so finding the same model (a1957), I bought it and will pick it up tomorrow. It will need a little work, and I can only hope that the speed and power from that 2-stroke engine that I felt in those days aren't lost once it is running.
Anyone want to hazard a guess as to the make and model? (a big clue is the engine type).
As soon as the right one is guessed, I'll answer, otherwise once it comes home tomorrow evening, I'll post a picture.

Congrats Brian! British? Triumph or Greeves, or maybe Jawa? I know there's a few ultra rare models, so those would only be a guess (like BSA). Look forward to your next post on it!
My dream would be to own the Vincent Black Shadow my grandfather once owned... but I have no way of tracking it down (though I've tried).

My dream would be to own the Vincent Black Shadow my grandfather once owned... but I have no way of tracking it down (though I've tried).
I recently found a Black Shadow for sale on BaT. It was in Ontario. Thinking it might be one of my brother's friends Vincents (he had a dozen). I sent him the link.
He responded that not only did it once belong to his friend but he had owned it also in 1963. He remembered the VIN because he's a bit of a genius and has an incredible memory.
He had bought and sold it for $350 at the time. It sold on BaT for $86,000 USD.

Anything is possible.

A VW Beetle...No wait..thats my childhood memory of riding with my dad!
Congrats on your find, can't wait to see pic's

Thanks to all for the guesses as well as the over estimation in my financial capabilities, but the bike is.....yes, a 1957 BSA Dandy, all 2.5 hp and 70cc's of magnificent British engineering. To adjust the points you have to drop the engine and split the cases and the seat is positioned right above the gas tank. As the barrel was made out of steel it would often "nip up" when too hot and so longer trips were a little out of the question. The engine does turn over and the centrifugal clutch allows it to freewheel. The round panel on the frame conceals the tool kit. The idea is to clean up the rims and paint them (a common home remedy for flaking chrome), check the brakes, replace the tyres and tubes, grease the chain, check for spark and then off we go! If you listen closely you can hear my wife groaning that "you paid $600 for that", but with the finality of things with my cancer and its aggressiveness, it seems appropriate to get a bike going at the end of my life that meant so much at the beginning and that fills me full of warm thoughts just looking at it. Perhaps, Todd, you could list off some some tuning parts for it as one day I hope it will reach the magical 30 mph!

Dandy

In picking up this bike from a distant friend, I was led to his warehouse of over 500 bikes, including a beautiful T3 and numerous rarities like a 750SS, Rocket 3's, Gold Stars and numerous Ducatis, Triumphs, BSAs Hondas et al. I was filled with admiration but also saddened that they have been collected and stored and yet remain on the most part unridden and even unviewed.

If you listen closely you can hear my wife groaning that "you paid $600 for that", but with the finality of things with my cancer and its aggressiveness, it seems appropriate to get a bike going at the end of my life that meant so much at the beginning and that fills me full of warm thoughts just looking at it.

AMEN! Godspeed.

Thanks to all for the guesses as well as the over estimation in my financial capabilities, but the bike is.....yes, a 1957 BSA Dandy, all 2.5 hp and 70cc's of magnificent British engineering.
Well, do I get some bonus points for mentioning the brand? The bike and fairing comment threw me off, thinking a bigger engine than a scooter, but very cool nonetheless. Congrats!
While I haven’t met you, you’ll be in my thoughts my friend, as the big C has taken far too many good people in my life. My thoughts are with you to crush it. DNA/crisper editing will kill this hopefully in the near future (fingers crossed).
As Scott says, Godspeed and get that Beezer going ASAP. Make some smiles before you get to see your Dad again, high in the sky. You’ll both ride once again then.
My Dad on a BSA below for grins for you… cheers mate!

6DC791F6 1654 48E6 9C6E 3649D7171F47

Perhaps, Todd, you could list off some some tuning parts for it as one day I hope it will reach the magical 30 mph!
I could, but you’ll likely find tons out there already! ;)
Who made the engine (Triumph/Sunbeam)? I couldn’t find much, outside of this nice page; british-classic-motorcycles.co.uk/index.php/bsa-dandy/

Firstly, it’s off with the tank and some Evaporust for the superficial brown coating in an otherwise solid tank. Then, off with the spark plug to check for compression as it does turn over in neutral (“it has a neutral?” said the seller), check for spark, then a new fuel line with filter and see if it lights up. Really half way there then (cross fingers). It’s going to be called Jackanerges ( a cross between Boanerges, which TL Lawrence called all his Broughs) and my Dads name, Jack.
Everything will be done the way my Dad would have done it, wire brushes for the rims, then painting them as well as the exhaust which came painted silver from the factory. A replacement seat and a couple of cables, some brake adjustments and chain replacement. Keeping my fingers crossed

Well, do I get some bonus points for mentioning the brand? The bike and fairing comment threw me off, thinking a bigger engine than a scooter, but very cool nonetheless. Congrats!
While I haven’t met you, you’ll be in my thoughts my friend, as the big C has taken far too many good people in my life. My thoughts are with you to crush it. DNA/crisper editing will kill this hopefully in the near future (fingers crossed).
As Scott says, Godspeed and get that Beezer going ASAP. Make some smiles before you get to see your Dad again, high in the sky. You’ll both ride once again then.
My Dad on a BSA below for grins for you… cheers mate!

View attachment 23912
Thats a great photo and thanks for the kind thoughts Todd

Back