• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New bike warranty "crack-down"

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
The PDF below outlines new/basic coverages. The main kicker for most on the newer bikes will be cosmetic issues. The fine print says, in general, defects will be covered only within the first 15 days of sale... unless "approved" by Tech Services. Given how flimsy the Norge bodywork is, this will mean unhappy customers for sure. Also covered is blemishes or discoloration... much under the same clause as above.

Other "wear and tear" items are also covered, and mechanically speaking, it looks like "to within service limits until the first service." That's a pretty gray envelope.

Just FYI.

Interesting and IMHO probably reasonable, although not particularly generous - especially with regard to the known problems with the plastics as you point out. But to be honest, I have never understood how warranty works.

Seems to me unless there is a signed contract at the point of sale between the buyer and the seller that any interpretation of what is and is not covered under any offered warranty is open to argument, and I have never been given such a document with any bike I have purchased, and when I have had an issue it seems that there has been a fair amount of individual decision making leeway as to wether to help or not.

Notwithstanding of course statutory requirements which I presume differ in every country but here in Oz are quite limited.

Technical services are in Italy, and in my experience will never communicate with any owner.

Mike, when you bought your bike, you had with it a little booklet called Warranty and Service book. Since that was a part of the purchase, it forms the contract.
It is also worth noting that this contract can only be varied by informing the parties involved, ie. the owners. So sending a variation out to the dealers may well be invalid in law, depending on where you are in the world of course. In many situations, a contract can only be changed by agreement of both parties (but that might only be in Europe).

I must check that my centrifugal clutch is working properly though.:)

Warranty-wise, consumer protection laws vary from country to country and in our case provide much better protection than any manufacturer's warranty. But.......getting any manufacturer to honour any warranty is a challenge, as we've often seen reported here. Frankly I have more confidence in a good dealer than a manufacturer. Dealers here have treated all of my few problems excellently. Maybe i've just been lucky, but I've had dealers step forward when a manufacturer has stepped back.

Seems like they're trying to protect themselves from claims for normal wear & tear and unscrupulous claims for accidental damage being misrepresented as manufacturing faults. Having been on the other side as a retailer & manufacturer it's seems fair to me. It's amazing what some people will try to claim for: "This white carpet has got a red wine stain on it and we don't even walk on it" etc

Hrmph. When I bought my LM 31 years ago, the nearest service dept. was 2,000 miles to the west. I did visit the "Service Dept" about 6 months later when I rode the LM x-country to Perth but all I picked up was spare cables. Actually, Ian Gowanloch helped me with the bike, as I had been a long-time Duck owner, and mostly paid with beer.

My point being is that Guzzis teach us to be self-reliant, and accepting of faults (some call it Italian craftsmanship). If you cannot handle that, then there is a Honda at your local dealer with your name on it.

JD, "Tech Svcs" is Costa Mesa, CA for those in the U.S.

All.. I'm not trying to put a damper on anything, other then to let everyone that reads this know that, say, a Norge fairing part may not be covered for bracket cracking after 15 days of sale. Again, this is a very gray area, and will likely be the result of the dealer... good or bad.

This may be/become a sore spot for those who drop $12~17,000+USD on a new bike.

Again, just FYI... not taking sides, and I too can see where they need to draw a line in the sand... but for those with a Norge, the fairing parts are painfully, unacceptably, fragile.

Re:New bike warranty

Very well said Shane.
Ed
My point being is that Guzzis teach us to be self-reliant, and accepting of faults (some call it Italian craftsmanship). If you cannot handle that, then there is a Honda at your local dealer with your name on it.[/quote]

Since I own an '07 Norge, the 15 days bit for the tupperware is an issue, as the pieces are not really engineered very well. They look like some newby got a new,really neat computer program that let them save a few pennies per panel by making all of the lugs and tabs as absolutley thin and fragile as possible. Probalby would have worked out well if they were made of metal - but not out of plastic.

You can re-inforce them and that helps a bunch. Of course, if I ever have any major damage, I will just turn the bike into a 1200 SportBreva and remove all of the body work.

It isn't what one should get on a bike with a retail price of the Norge, but carefull research before purchase at least let me buy with the knowledge that the bodywork was very pretty - but very fragile. I decided it was an acceptable risk.

Call it charm, call it character, but these bikes have more than their share of "issues."
It makes it a lot easier to sell these things when you can look someone in the eye and
tell them about the comprehensive warranty.
Another arrow out of my quiver.

When you take your bike out for its maiden voyage,after careful inspection by yourself prior
to signing the delivery paperwork and you travel the first 100 metres /yards your NEWpride and joy
is actually a used vehicle.:dry:

Clearly Guzzi (Piaggio) have only released this information to dealers.
But it will get out, as it has here, and the result will be a perceived lack of confidence in the quality of the product. Now is that a good message to send out to future owners?

I can tell you from experience how difficult it is to get a customer to accept the fact that Guzzi will not warranty his front rotors that warped after 6 months of ownership and a few thousand miles. That's over $700 in parts alone. The rules haven't changed; it's just that they are now denying claims that they were more reasonable about until a few weeks ago. One thing is certain: This attitude will lose them sales and strain relations with their dealers further. Is this how a smart company manages for success in a lousy economy?

I guess my complaint - if that's what it is - would be something like this... When I purchased my new Guzzi, I was not told that the fairings only had a 15-day warranty, nor does the booklet I received say anything like that. Does the fact that my bike was a demo have any bearing on this? When I found out the tab was broken (during the first service I had done on the bike) I questioned having it replaced/repaired and the servicing dealer was non-responsive. Additionally when they test rode the bike after service I was told the front rotor may be warped and if I was going back to the selling dealer, maybe they would get it warrantied. Sounds like the old warranty situation with Lotus cars during the 60s - it was a dealer warranty, not a factory one and the selling dealer had to handle all claims.

What this tells me is there is not much value in purchasing a new Guzzi unless you happen to live near the three or four really good dealers in the states. Once it gets out of warranty or for non-warranty work, there are many other good options for the owner who is not all that fond of doing all their own servicing.

jdg

Greg Field wrote:
Is this how a smart company manages for success in a lousy economy?
No but it is how an accountant sees a way of saving money.
Accountants, in my opinion, usually suffer from tunnel vision.

Brian UK wrote:
Greg Field wrote:

No Brian. Accountants report facts and figures. Managers/directors.boards decide which options to adopt based on a variety of scenarios.

Roblatt wrote:
Brian UK wrote:
Greg Field wrote:

No Brian. Accountants report facts and figures. Managers/directors.boards decide which options to adopt based on a variety of scenarios.

And lots of accountants get senoir management positions allthough to be fair I do not know who is in charge at Piaggio or their background. I've had several bosses with this background and the one thing they had in common was an overiding obsession with the bottom line and complete lack of customer care.I feel is that this new edict is another negative move and will result in more customer dissatisfaction .
As if it wasn't hard enough to sell guzzi's at the moment, Piaggio have just made it harder :blink:

Like I alluded to earlier, when you have to put the money up out of your pocket, it suddenly appears different.

And don't tell me it's not out of managements' pocket because they have share holders to deal with, or its their jobs on the line.

Back