• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New California 1400 Touring Owner

mikefmoto

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi Folks,
I just picked up my black 2014 New California Touring yesterday and can't stop smiling! I traded my 2012 Stelvio NTX for the lower California.

Nothing bad to say about the NTX, I loved it, it was just a little tall for me to ride 2-up with my wife. Tough to hold the bike up on tippy toes when someone is climbing on; too many cold sweat moments.

I've only ridden it about 100 miles on the Cali so more observations to come...

The California's Engine is sweet. The sport mode engine mapping is arm-yanking fun. I keep it in touring mode most of the time.

A couple questions for Cali Owners:
1 - In the box of items that were shipped with the bike, a plug with a jumper wire and a black metal bar about 6 inches long with holes were included. Top profile of the bar is rectangle, about 3/4 inch wide. The side profile is narrower at one end, not the same thickness. Nobody at the dealer knows what these are for. Does anyone know?

2- When riding, the back of my calves started to burn; not bake, but burn like they were going to blister. The only thing I can think that would be causing the problem is that there is a 2 inch gap between the exhaust shields right behind the floor boards exposing the exhaust pipe. Could heat from this gap be rising behind my feet and burning my calves? I've read about the shields coming loose. I'm going to check to see if I can adjust the gap. I tried looking at other pics online and haven't noticed a gap on other Californias.

I'll post pics, more ride impressions once I have more time on the bike and pics of that strange metal bar and plug if nobody knows what they are.

It's good to be part of the California family now!! Woo Hoo!

Hi Mike, congrats on the Cal 14 T, and welcome aboard here. Glad you're off to a good start on it.

Hope you'll add your info to the Registry; https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/topic?f=213&t=11538 -- and your old Stelvio; https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/topic?f=190&t=11540

1. Wish I could say, so I'll be all ears.
2. Tough to say about the heat, but I can tell you that on my Cal 14, the mufflers were driven on so far to make those guards line up, that it took a huge handful of whacks to get them off, so my guess is that they've been off before, and someone didn't want to (much like I), beat them back on. Is the heat affecting you at a standstill, or while moving or both? These motors are fueled EXCEPTIONALLY lean = MUCH heat.

I'll be watching for pics and any other posting on that bar and related.

The plugs with the wires are for various alarm setups on how you want it. I used the "disable unless I set it" code described in your manual but described better on here somewhere
I have no idea on the bar. Maybe post a picture?
As I live close to your latitude in NE Ohio I have ridden my California Tour in some heat but never noticed it too bad other than what rolls back off the engine.

I picked up a Cali Tour on Saturday and have put around 180kms on it so far. Absolutely LOVE IT!! I noticed the same heat, burning sensation on the back of my calves! Comes and goes, sometimes real bad, sometimes less. I have the same gap in the pipes, not quite 2" but it's there, I don't think that's the cause as the heat seems to be most prominent when I'm riding and not stopped. Have I mentioned I LOVE THE BIKE???!!!

Hot air off the head fins is trapped between the bike and your calves. If you move your calves 1-2" away from the bike,
most of the heat just blows away. When your legs move against the bike again, you will feel the heat once more. The heat is
not from the exhaust pipes.

Stephen

Thanks for the responses, I did notice if I move my leg out about 2" the heat reduces. It will be good when the weather turns cold. I love the bike, too!

Back