• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Indiana Member - First Guzzi

JADofInd

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
Greetings All,
I was just picking up some information on starter issues and recalled I never introduced myself. I rode Japanese bikes in the late 70's got married, kids and poor in the 80's and just got back to the sport last year with a little Virago. I have lusted after Moto Guzzi's since I stopped by a dealer in Ft Walton, Florida in 1980. I still don't have the finances to get picky, so jumped on a '89 California III being sold in Muncie (about 100 miles north of my usual haunts). I wanted something smaller, but figured I could adjust. Much of it is still original, so I have been getting lots of experience taking care of the little things that over 25 years and 50,000 miles can do to a motorcycle. It runs pretty good, but I get a hot rubber smell drifting past my nose at speeds approaching 70 mph. My commute is about 450 miles a week, so when it is running, it gets lots of use (until the temperatures drop and the white stuff descends).

Welcome the the group. The full fairing makes it difficult sometimes to see what is going on. First suspect is the clutch cable routing. It can get near the header. Next check for rubber bits that may have fallen onto the top of the engine.

Thanks John, I do intend to explore the area beneath the tank and between the cylinders some day. I know the air filter lives there, but haven't determined the best way to get there. I was on I-70 west of Indy one afternoon this week and noticed I had drifted up to 65 mph. I intentionally drifted up to 70 and did not smell the hot rubber. The only thing I changed since the last time I smelled it was the rear tire, which had developed a knot where the tread and sidewall meet. My conclusion is that the tire had been going bad since before I bought the bike in June, but took a while (3000 miles) to become visually obvious. I had periodically tested the tread area temperature with my hand after a long ride, but felt no unusual amount of heat. The tire pressure reading I took after detecting the knot was 35 psi, so I don't think it was flexing from being under pressure.

Back