• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New member- as my name says, I'm Norge shopping

Norge_Shopper

Just got it firing!
Hello, I have ridden mainly shaft drive Suzukis for the past 30 years, my current commuter bike is a 1992 GSX1100G with factory fairing I repaired for daily use about 9 years ago. I also have a Microsquirt project going on for my 1981 GS1000G. I've owned quite a few bikes over the course of my life from a 175 Yamaha to several Hondas and one Kawasaki (C10 Concours).

Upkeep on the GSX is getting difficult, so I'm looking for something newer for daily use. I really don't like liquid-cooled or chain-drive bikes, and I'm over rebuilding carbs. In my web research I found out about the Norge. I was initially leaning towards the BMW R1150 or 1200RT, but having owned a BMW car I know the parts cost is up there. They also have needless added complexity for my needs. I watched a sport touring comparison on YouTube between the R1200RT, FJR1300, and Norge 8V. They seemed to like the Norge, but a couple said it didn't have all of the "modern" stuff the other two did. That pretty much cinched it for me, I wanted a Norge. :) I have also watched maintenance & riding videos and the Norge looks to be the best new-ish bike for me. Only thing I would like to have is a gear position indicator, but I know those can be added on. I did so on my GSX using parts from other models and a China dash after both needles broke.

I have looked at Cycle Trader and a number of other used bike sites- one of which seems to have hundreds of undated ads. It looks like nationwide there are only about 10 for sale, and most are in the Pacific NW or California (I'm in Florida), so that will add hundreds to the cost for transport.

What I'd like to learn here is what is the best year for purchase? Are there any significant yearly changes? I know it's generally a good idea to avoid the first model year (2007?). I've read some early 8V models had a tappet issue, but other than that I don't see much negative for this model.

Thanks for any advice.

Good morning and welcome.

Quite a bit of chatter here and elsewhere on that issue.

See, e.g., https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/th...-garage-a-good-or-bad-move.20790/#post-164634 & https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/th...ter-than-the-4v-or-isnt-it.21211/#post-169606, but there is lots more.

Based on my experience with Guzzis generally and with a firstgen Norge in my moto-harem, I would not shy at all from an early one if well maintained.

An early 8v that has not been “rollerized” — flatties gone; rollers in — would, IMO, be problematic on several count$: says something about owner(!); availability of roller kits; etc.

A later 8v — i.e., most from 2013 on, but engine #, not often-meaningless “year,” nor VIN — would be just fine. I especially like what I call the “espresso & grappa” livery. My brother had two of those, AND a 2012 white one!

Post any specifics you have beyond what a search here does not reveal.

Also happy to chat on phone (404.EightZERO8.8486) or email (wrhagan AT earthlink.net).

Let me know where you are in Florida. My brother’s (now rollerized and) well-maintained 2012 Norge is stabled in Ormond Beach. Its owner just bought a V85 and might let the Norge go. As in so many “used” things, buying a Guzzi is very much knowing its history, not Craigslist BS.

Best wishes,

Bill

I love my 2012. I was lucky when I bought it. It was the first one (according to engine#) that was rollerized from the factory. I've had it for 3 years and 25,000 km.
Nothing but tires, oil changes, rear brake pads and valve adjustments so far. I don't think I will ever sell it.

I have upgraded quite a bit though. Matris front fork kit, Matris rear shock, Corbin seat, CNC open airbox lid with Todd's flash tuner/ fuel map, Todd's Y-Pipe, GPR muffler, evap plumbing removed, CalSci windshield and handlebar risers.
Most of these pieces are available from Todd, see the store link above.

Welcome! You've landed in the right place...you'll find lots of support from Todd and the Guzzi community on this site. I've made many of the same changes as Raven (Todd's offerings and support are unmatched!), but the one that made the biggest difference for me was the Corbin seat, which is worth every penny.

When I bought mine, I was looking to add something more modern than my '96 Road King to the stable (not hard to do!), but didn't want a radio, "rider modes", electronic suspension, traction control, etc. like most bikes in this category have now. One of my riding buddies suggested the Stelvio...was checking that out when I found the Norge...had never heard of it before.

I did a little research and pulled the trigger on a new 2015 I found at AF1 Racing in Texas (I live in Northern NJ). The first time I ever saw a Norge in person was when they rolled it out of the trailer and onto the liftgate! It's a fun bike to toss around on a twisty road, is great as a commuter, and is plenty comfortable for a weekend camping trip. It's nice to know the ABS is there, but otherwise it's not a complicated bike...easy to maintain, and not a lot to go wrong.

Sounds like you're pretty experienced with the Japanese brands...maybe it's time for something with a little more character! :)

Good morning and welcome.

Quite a bit of chatter here and elsewhere on that issue.

See, e.g., https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/th...-garage-a-good-or-bad-move.20790/#post-164634 & https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/th...ter-than-the-4v-or-isnt-it.21211/#post-169606, but there is lots more.

Based on my experience with Guzzis generally and with a firstgen Norge in my moto-harem, I would not shy at all from an early one if well maintained.

An early 8v that has not been “rollerized” — flatties gone; rollers in — would, IMO, be problematic on several count$: says something about owner(!); availability of roller kits; etc.

A later 8v — i.e., most from 2013 on, but engine #, not often-meaningless “year,” nor VIN — would be just fine. I especially like what I call the “espresso & grappa” livery. My brother had two of those, AND a 2012 white one!

Post any specifics you have beyond what a search here does not reveal.

Let me know where you are in Florida. My brother’s (now rollerized and) well-maintained 2012 Norge is stabled in Ormond Beach. Its owner just bought a V85 and might let the Norge go. As in so many “used” things, buying a Guzzi is very much knowing its history, not Craigslist BS.

Best wishes,

Bill
Thanks for the links & info Bill (and others). I think the other link posted is the one I read about the valve tappet issue. I'm in the Tallahassee area, Ormond looks to be about a 2.5 hour ride. I'm going to have to unload the GSX-G before the other half of the acquisition committee gives the OK on a replacement. I think she will be on board since I ride to work every day weather permitting and she doesn't like to have to pick me up at roadside after a breakdown (has only happened with project cars so far, never one of my bikes). Based on what I have seen so far, I think supply is going to definitely be a factor here.

I know anything I buy will be leaps ahead of what I'm riding now. I need to do some cleaning & upkeep on the GSX & get it listed in time for spring riding weather.

Back