Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

New old ride

Discussion in '24-7 Lounge' started by 2Laner, Dec 2, 2014.

1. 2Laner

2Laner Cruisin' Guzzisti

Well I ran into a deal on an 01 Suzi DR650 with 3600 miles. Really kinda excited about this bike, simple and durable like my Guzzi. Old school so I can work on it myself. Nothing will ever replace my Sport but a light weight Thumper is quite fun. Other than replacing the brake lines and fluids, what would you sages recommend? Don't have the bike yet, but the photos indicate good chain and sprockets. It is all stock except a DynaJet carb kit and replacement seat.
    Happy Holidays To All

2. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Big air-cooled thumpers are very utilitarian. Unless you personally know the owner, assume nothing has been done since the bike was new. Dirt bikes tend to get massively neglected. I would give it a full service when it arrives, valve lash check, change all of the fluids, including brake and suspension/fork oil. I don't know the DR's that well, but I would also dig into the steering head and swing arm & suspension linkage bearings/bushings when you have the time. Even with just 3600 miles, I'm sure all of that likely needs attention.
    Have fun with it.

3. ghezzi

ghezzi High Miler GT Contributor

All the above if it was seriously off-roaded. Seriously, most DR650's get used as commuters and occasional dirt road tourers.
    Best way to go, motard it, heaps of fun, great for hooning around both town and mountains.

4. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

I agree with the others. Those things tend to be ridden hard and put away wet. Often very little maintenance is done on them Assume everything needs looking after.
    Also, they were sent from the factory with very little grease on the various moving parts like swing arm pivot, suspension linkages, and steering head bearings. I would plan on greasing them and replacing any bearings that are toast.

SuperMoto is fun, see my avatar. A DR650 is not a common bike to do that to but it can be done.

Good luck with the new ride, enjoy.