RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, ALERT FOR Store purchases - riding season is here, so we are in the crazy times for orders. Lead times are long, so we can't do much to rush things. Always best to buy off Season when things are in stock. Also, there are many seasonal holidays this time of year, both here and in Europe (mainly August), so please be patient! We aren't Amazon. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and also, we aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. Please note GuzziTech is largely a ONE man operation. Requests for phone calls will be deleted. We are online only. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE OR JUST disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. Thanks for your understanding and support.
  2. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum; Be sure to try a search and/or post on the Forum before starting a new topic, and as a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. If you are posting on numerous sites on the web, please stop back and follow up. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GT products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our custom builds at GTMotoCycles.com or click the Service tab above.

New Owner 1999 Bassa Need Help, in process of restoring

Discussion in 'Loop & Tonti' started by Param, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Param

Param Just got it firing!

Hi
    I need help to sort some of the problems regarding Bassa 1999,
    Long story short , I been in love with Guzzi for a long time and when one showed in Omaha NE i picked it up
    it was in bad shape but not too bad it was runnning and i got it for 900,
    i am mostly bringing it back to the original form, sorting wiring etc ,
    My recent hurdle is i cant figure out what is this wiring for its been cut but i dont know where it goes or what is this for ??
    here are few pics of the resoration and the problem area of the wiring

Attached Files:

2. Mackers

Mackers Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Looks like the cable to the fuel solenoid - that chrome fitting with the stalk poking out. Two cables in that area are for the fuel gauge and the fuel solenoid. From memory, the red one is for the solenoid. May be it was cut because the PO was going to install a mechanical fuel tap. A normal person would unclip the link near your thumb. It looks like the cable has been pulled from the base of the solenoid.

3. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

I agree with Mackers. Many owners replace the electric fuel valve with one from a fuel injected CA III which is mechanical.

4. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT Contributor

I have a mechanical on my EV, was worried about not opening all the way after 20yrs. I had heard some groaning from the pump, just being sure for no restriction. Pump is next to battery box on L/H side. Power goes to fuse/relay panel. There should be a plug under sidecover for pump loom.

5. Param

Thank you for your replies , I believe its solenoid, confusing part is that fuel solenoid is there and i don't see manual shutoff on it , or any wires coming out out it, it was running when i got it, so fuel is still flowing in current setup
    I will check again today, and update everyone

6. john zibell

It is hard to tell from your pictures, but it looks like the manual valve may be what you have. Usually to remove the fuel tank you remove the hose to the fuel valve, and not the fuel valve.

7. Param

okay removed the petcock its electronic and looks like wires are just broken
    i took it apart as in the pic below and tested by applying 12v there is no movement in the needle, i read an older thread to replace it with manual valve that i have already ordered now MGCycle part GU01105460
    please correct me if i am wrong my understanding is its a safety feature to shut the fuel in case of accident?? but i am not fully convinced as power to the valve wont shut until someone manually shut the ignition off

as to why tank was removed it was replaced as previous one was dented /bit rusted

another question
    What are all the tank connectors?
    one is for fuel return from the T between fuel filter and Tank (under pressure) in Pic marked number 3?
    second with two inline valves from the canisters??? in pic marked number 2
    third in pic marked number 1 is for??
    lastly in pic marked number 4 is for overflow drain??

thank you for your help
    IMG_2696[1].JPG Petcock.png InkedIMG_2699_LI.jpg InkedIMG_2700_LI.jpg

8. V700Steve

In your pics, #1 is pressure regulator vent--- stays open, no line
    #2 is vent from tank----line to bottom of bike
    #3 is return line spigot----line from injector rail
    #4 is tank lid overflow vent-----line to bottom of bike

Param likes this.
  9. Param

thank you for the information saves me a lot of time
    Also where can you find nice decals for bassa ?

10. john zibell

Should be available from any dealer.

11. Param

Sorry for late replies been busy with other stuff,
    opened the sump, did managed to get enough pull on my current 5mm allen, need a long reach one,
    nastly surpise had some water in it frozen(it was very cold in midwest) about a fist size oil was worse i have seen,
    i saw the clamp on the filter and i had some reads on the forum for this habit, so previous owner must be familiar to this site/forums

cleaned the sump and sent for powder coating, it will be black beauty the amount of powder coating i have done on it.
    drained the final drive fluid ,
    transmission fluid next

Question is it okay to have T in number 2 and 3 tank drains, i dont see any reason why not?
    Question why would a clamp around the oil filter prevents the slipping/unscrewing. there is ample room between the outer oil filter cylinder wall and inner screw with the filter paper inside, the clamp will be just on the metal outside and it would not insert pressure inside and if it does it will only affect the filter paper element, please forgive me i am an software engineer hence all the questions

i have 3 bikes ducati yamaha and now guzzi, i must say moto guzzi has some kind of pull to it or may be its just me justifying another project :)
    Thank you again for all this help, cant wait to fire it up

12. john zibell

You only have one drain near the filler. The other is a tank vent. No need to have a Y connector. As to the clamp, those have been put on since before Al Gore invented the internet. Proper placement places the screw part of the clamp against the oil pressure relief valve so the filter can't unscrew. Has nothing to do with the filter internals.

Param likes this.
  13. Param

that makes perfect sense. thank you
    I will paste more pics soon. thank you

14. Mackers

Mackers Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Param, here's a pic I took many years ago of my Metal Stone. The filter can't unscrew because the clamp boss is against the pressure relief valve.

[​IMG]

Trout, Param and john zibell like this.
  15. Trout

Trout GT Reference

LOL! After all these years I learn something new.
    I used to have nightmares(exageration) about the filter coming loose after every oil change.

16. Kubbie

Kubbie Tuned and Synch'ed

Wait one cotton picking minute. Is this motor set up with a spin on filter inside the sump?

You have to drop the sump for an oil change?

Or is it more like and VW Beetle? No filter from factory, just some kind of screen, and the filter is an upgrade?

I'm so confused!!!

17. john zibell

Filter is in the sump from the factory. Usually change the filter every other oil change. You can do it every change if you want. 14 screws and 4 bolts to drop the pan. Be sure to not over tighten any on install.

18. V700Steve

+1 John, It's only been since 1997 that we've had access from the bottom, even then you had to unscrew a plate, 05 came under Breva11.

19. john zibell

T3 and forward have the internal filter. As you say the 97 1100 sport has an access cover you can remove to get to the filter. All the others until the CARC it is drop the pan.

20. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

And the V11 series have an access cover. No need to drop the sump.