RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, Happy 2019! Note all of our products and custom bike builds are now on our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com. You may need a new username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. NOTE: We are not Amazon, we are a tiny one man operation. Thanks for your patience on orders. GuzziTech is now back to our origins; Enjoy the Guzzi Community Forum and Resources here. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx®) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine from 2000 until 2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work via our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our Seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

New Owner 1999 Bassa Need Help, in process of restoring

Discussion in 'Loop & Tonti' started by Param, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Kubbie

Kubbie Tuned and Synch'ed

Thanks guys. Learn something new every day.
    My Griso is only bike #6, and all but bike #1, a 76' KZ750B, had spin on filters. So just assumed they all did.

2. vagrant

vagrant Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Buy a new pan gasket u will need it if you don't have one on hand. Same for valve covers. MG cycle is a good parts sour e so is Harpers if u don't have a dealer.

3. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

Since you have a Griso, the filter is external, but recessed on the left front of the pan. No need to drop the pan. This thread is for a Bassa which has the internal filter.

4. Kubbie

Kubbie Tuned and Synch'ed

Oh, yeah, I know. Thanks for keeping an eye out.
    Was bored and looking for something to read when I found this thread. Just wanted to confirm what I was seeing.

5. Param

Param Just got it firing!

thanks for all the help and advices and sorry for late replies its very cold these days to be in garage
    here are more pics, i love reading threads and like pics in them and it helps for guys like me

also i am learning as i go along never dropped a sump before
    got the pieces from powder coating, looks good had to clean the overspray, also bought the used cali shock as the air shocks i was trying to use was 14 inches and it was messing up the oil level in the final drive and transmission

questions
    does it need a gasket sealer ? on one side both side of the gasket, it does have cleanup groves on the surface from powder coating overspray?
    also do i need to do thread sealer /lock on the pressure relief valve?
    also i found this weird pink wire coming out of the flasher relay and i tested it its positive

Attached Files:

6. john zibell

That pink wire may have been added by a previous owner. Just cap it with shrink sleeve so it doesn't ground out on you. For the sump gasket, I like to coat both sides with chassis grease. Also your bike doesn't need the 10W60 oil and will do fine on 15W50 but it won't hurt to use the 10W60. Oil level in the rear based on shock length isn't an issue. Just drain and add the required 250cc to the rear drive. I never pull the level plug on these components, just drain and fill with the specified amount of oil.

Amboman likes this.
  7. Param

so i actually kept the transmission/final drive level drain open overnight with bike straight, does that mean i drained all the fluid ? or just the extra one?
    my understanding was this will drain the extra oil not required in transmission also same rule for the final drive

8. vagrant

vagrant Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Looks like the relays were replaced by good ones only too tall to remove easily. Now is the time to pull and clean with deoxit.

9. john zibell

Here is the thing. If you get a quart of 75W90, put 250cc in the rear drive. The remaining 700cc in the geabox. It does just fine 50cc less then specification. Leave the level plugs sealed.

10. Param

almost ready , got the fluids changed, pending brake line bleed

dash neutral light, turn signal is not working any idea why ?, dash high beam, battery lights do work
    turn signal are working
    brake light is always on ??

11. john zibell

Get the schematic from the downloads section. Could be a fuse, flasher etc. As to brake light always on it could be a stuck brake light switch, although they usually fail in the open condition so the brake light doesn't go on. If you don't know how to trouble shoot circuits look here for that information. https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/troubleshooting-circuits.3001/

12. Param

Thank you i could not download the document as its for people who have donated & have access, but i have a diagram that should be good enough for me to track, weather is going to be not so good this coming long weekend, was hoping to finish it by long weekend
    whats the maintenance looks like for the shaft drive?
    I appreciate all the help
    thank you

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  13. Param

got all the dash lights working its was just the bulbs

14. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT Contributor

Almost every brake lite 'always on' situation I have seen on 90's and later Cali's has been the front switch. Out of adjustment or the bearing ball in the perch behind switch rusted or replaced w/something that doesn't work well. Could be a bad switch where the button is stuck in. Don't loose the 2 little screws & nuts.

15. Param

thank you for your reply front i have checked no problems, where exactly is the switch for rear brake ??

16. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT Contributor

Should be off the top of master on a banjo between master and rear line. Unless it has been updated to integral braking then it would be on the splitter. Looking at your pics I do not see one.

17. Param

going to track brake issue on this weekend, hopefully an easy fix.
    Anyone replaced the inner lens for headlight ? mine has some reflecter damage spots other than that headlight is fine.
    should i paint it with some shiny paint? or replace it with the expensive lens
    everything about guzzi is so expensive on ebay , in some cases i found new items cheaper from mgcycle or other stores than on ebay
    thank you

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  18. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

The same lens is a BMW part number #63121243541 for those that drive on the right side of the road. Something ridiculous in price compared with the same Guzzi part.

19. Param

Sorry my bad I meant to say the reflector is damaged not the glass lens , reflector has some dull spot where the reflective material has gone

20. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Wouldn't pass a warrant of fitness here in Kiwiland, but where ever Moto is, perhaps you will be fine. Unless you're doing a lot of night riding, then the headlight is just there to be seen.