• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Owner - 2010 Griso

lvgs

Just got it firing!
I just bought a used, fully documented 2010 8V with ~13,000 kms. I previously owned a 2007 1100 and traded it for a Bonneville. After over a year and in spite of also buying a Cali 1400 recently, I was determined to get another. And so when this opportunity presented itself, I grabbed it.

After reading about the earlier 8Vs, I became aware of a looming tappet issue and hoped to get some information - appreciating that it has been written about extensively...

Should I be concerned? Does this apply to the 2010 model year? Was there an official recall on the 2010s to address this? Is there an online VIN listing of recalls/issues? Is there any preventative measure I should pursue?

Please note, I haven't actually noticed anything unusual i.e. in terms of noise and there is nothing in the service history to suggest any concern. Also, the bike had a service on Jan/15 and at that time, no recalls were noted.

Any help would be much appreciated and thanks!

Yes, you should be concerned.
Yes, it applies to the 2010 model year.
No, there has not been a recall.
Not really. The break between flat tappets and rollers occurred in the 2012 model year.
There is nothing you can do to prevent failure from happening.

If you can get a dealer to examine the tappets (DLC coating wears off), they might be able to submit a warranty claim. Sometimes Moto Guzzi pays for parts, but not labor. Sometimes they pay for everything.

If the coating comes off all at once, you will lose the crankshaft bearings as well.

That's very helpful John, thank you.

Its left me wondering whether I made the right decision to buy the bike and secondly, whether its safe to ride until I get it checked. Thoughts?

That's very helpful John, thank you.

Its left me wondering whether I made the right decision to buy the bike and secondly, whether its safe to ride until I get it checked. Thoughts?

Get it checked before you ride it much. I just converted a low mileage Stelvio and wear was evident.

I also purchased a used low mileage Griso V8; 2010 model also traded in on a new Griso. I have been riding it as my "fun" Sunday go to church bike and thus far no noise of the valve train. I was told that it is time to worry when the valves do not hold their lash - time will tell.
I will ride it until I get board with it or it blows. If it blows, well, fix it and carry on. It is a toy after all; besides, it was 4 brethren backing it up. :giggle:

IVGS and Rudolf,
Do what you want but it is inevitable that the 2010 engine's tappets will fail.
If you wait for them to fail and sufficient damage is caused to spread metal through the engine oil galleries, you run the risk of having a throwaway engine when the crank is damaged.
The problem is that the engine will still run reasonably well whilst it is chewing itself to bits inside and by the time it is clearly evident, it may have done irreparable damage.
The intelligent thing to do is to have the cam box removed and the tappets inspected.
It is inevitable that wear will be evident (it has appeared on correctly serviced engines with as little as 7,000 km traveled).
When this is sighted the relevant dealer should be able to seek the replacement parts to repair the engine and you pay the labor if you have a proper service history.
Don't rely on Piaggio to do the right thing, in this scenario they have shit on multiple owners and seem to have no real conscience in relation to the defect which they have clearly know about for years.
Don't blame the dealers as they have also been hung out to dry by the corporation.
Do I sound bitter about this issue, you bet I do based on my very costly experience which nearly destroyed my engine.
If you catch the damage early enough and fit the rollers you will have eliminated your potential time bomb.

Last edited:
Back