• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Owner

nomad

Tuned and Synch'ed
I am the proud owner of a Stelvio living in France.

I purchased the bike in the UK with Colour matched panniers, engine crash bars, Hugger, Shaft crash bar and fog lights - got a good deal at £8,000. Very happy.

Bought a New bike - Well Ex-Demo fully loaded with extras

All seemed straight forward, Book a flight to East Midlands Airport on Tuesday... met by Julie (Wendy's Sister) who lives in Cannock With her Husband Pete pick up the bike and ride down to Exeter to visit the Family and Grandkids - then ride the coast road to Portsmouth and the ferry over to Le-Havre before taking the 360 mile ride south and home...

Was met by Julie who drove me to the shop to collect the bike. Overnighter in Cannock then rode down to Exeter to visit the kids and grandkids overnighter with Billy, Lissy and Oakley, spent the morning with Ray Becki, Emilly & Daniel.

Set off from Exeter for the Ferry in Portsmouth, Stopped off at the Moto Guzzie Dealers in Wareham to check if I could change my Speedo to KPH through the system computer (very complex and way too functional, you can program the ECU with it if you have a dealer code : ) anyway they changed the Speedo for me and off I rode to do some shopping and visit my old work friends in Poole and then off to Ringwood (Bransgore) to visit some pals (Mondo & Joy). On the way back from Bransgore down a new forrest single lane road (Read track) the bike lost power and ground to an unexpected holt. Pitch black mega windy and raining. My mobile had packed in and I was just 2 hours from boarding time for the ferry.

I walked down the road to a house which turned out to be very nice and friendly, let me phone Mondo & Joy and push the bike onto their drive for safety. Stayed overnight at Mondo & Joy's and the next day got recovered to Wareham to discover that the bike model had been subject to a recall notice to remove a relay which was superfluous but if not removed could prevent the starter motor from disengaging once the starter button was released.

Needless to say mine had not been removed and yes on this occasion the starter motor had remained engaged for about 10 miles, during this time it had become an electrical generator until the sprocket had been sheered off. This would have been fine until I stopped but no the starter then fed the electric current it had generated back into the bikes electrical system and blew a few main fuses grinding the bike to a holt.

Bummer, but it came with free breakdown and the dealers was only 30 miles away so the problem was quickly diagnosed under sniggers of should have bought the bike from us kinda stuff. I eventually convinced the jobs worth Workshop manager to take one of the starter motors off one of his three new Stelvio's to get me back on the road so I could continue my journey home. Cost me £120 to convince him, Still I guess he had no reason to bend over backwards to a passing biker and I saved the hassle of having to come back in a couple of weeks once my bike had been repaired under warranty.

stelvio001.jpg

stelvio002.jpg

stelvio005.jpg

stelvio006.jpg

stelvio007.jpg

stelvio008.jpg

stelvio009.jpg

stelvio010.jpg

stelvio011.jpg

Welcome Nomad, quite a first ride!!!!!

What I find amazing is that a dealer would sell a demo bike after such a short time - especially when exchange rates are so volatile, a replacement might cost them heaps more... but I know nothing about the motor trade and I suspect they made money on the deal - good deal for you though :woohoo:

As you can see the board is getting firing again after a major out, hopefully we can resurrect some of the tech info from various sources and re-post it, we were just getting a head of steam up in the Stelvio forum, so it's good to have new perspectives from new owners - post often, great pics!

Yes, welcome Nomad! What a story, and great photos! Now that I have a few great photos of you and your S, might you send me your info for the ->Registry<-CLICK THERE.

As Mike above says, post often, and keep the pictures coming as well. I look forward to meeting you in person next year.

Hi Gang

Ross Verdon in Staffordshire is one of the good guys:)
He has surrended his MG dealership, finding it hard to compete on price and size of dealership with Speedaway Mc just down the road in Oldbury.
He is selling off the lot:( but some deals to be had if you want a Guzzi:)

Loftyjohn

I totally agree Ross is a top bloke, and reason he didn't do mod is simply that MG didn't keep him informed after he surrendered his dealership. I would certainly buy from him in the future, and recommend him to any potential buyer.

Even though he didn'y have to he has contributed towards the payment I made for the repairs. As I said Top Guy.

Nice photos Tony, thanks! I started an all-new thread for you to add them under as well. ;)

Welcome Tony - pleased to meet :)

Now, I can't resist this of course — you're making some (understandable) publicity for your rider's nest in one of the nice places of France ... do board members and/or Guzzisti qualify for a prix d'amis? ;) ? (I do notice your website doesn't seem to say anything about Guzzi or the Big S ... as yet?)
Oh, and how far exactly are you from two of the top attractions of the region — the garlic festival and the town of Condom? :silly:

BTW, there's another nice hotel in another famous biking region, run by former Guzzi dealer Frédéric (took up being a chief again) and his wife Sandrine, called Les Grillons du Setton on the Lac des Settons in the Morvan. I know they're cooking up some Guzzi event in spring ;)

okayokayRJVB wrote:
Welcome Tony - pleased to meet :)

Now, I can't resist this of course — you're making some (understandable) publicity for your rider's nest in one of the nice places of France ... do board members and/or Guzzisti qualify for a prix d'amis? ;) ? (I do notice your website doesn't seem to say anything about Guzzi or the Big S ... as yet?)
Oh, and how far exactly are you from two of the top attractions of the region — the garlic festival and the town of Condom? :silly:

BTW, there's another nice hotel in another famous biking region, run by former Guzzi dealer Frédéric (took up being a chief again) and his wife Sandrine, called Les Grillons du Setton on the Lac des Settons in the Morvan. I know they're cooking up some Guzzi event in spring ;)

Thank you for the welcome ;) Publicity is not my reason for being on the forum though as you say it does lend itself easily to mention it my business on a bike forum. It wouldn't make good business sense to buy a bike just to access a specific forum.

I ride a Triumph Rocket 3 and an FJR 1300 besides the Stelvio so I enjoy a diverse 2 wheel experience. I do mention all these bikes on my bike blog

Sadly neither the Garlic Festival in Montelimar, Rhone Alps and Condom which is 170 miles south and east of us of us are really in our region...

I had not heard of Les Grillons du Setton until you mentioned it so googled it, very nice it is in North France so quite a way from us down here in the Correze.

Regarding a mates rate for Guzzisti here at www.ridersrest.net I am sure it could be arranged - I do a similar thing for for the R111 club and the FJROwners club even though I think you would be hard pushed to better our prices or welcome.

How can I tempt you... I can organise a run if we can get a group of Guzzisti together to include:

Book for 3 or more nights for a group of 5 or more people and you get the following for just 60 euros (usually 65€) per person per night inclusive:

All bed linin, and Towels.
Evening meals
1st Night choice of :Curry, Spag Bol, or Chilli
2nd Night BBQ
3rd Night set 3 course evening meal
All French Beer and Wine included -- Yes drink is included
Explore the beautiful Auvergne - Limousin - Cantal regions.

I would lead rides to locations such as:.......example

Oradour-Sur-Glane - The Martyred village
Millau Bridge - The Tallest Bridge in the world (Long day 350 mile round trip)
Puy Mary - (1,787m) le Volcano du Cantal
Rocamadour - the village climbing the cliff
and many more destinations of your choice...

So all you would need to think about would be getting here, your fuel costs, and lunches (though after an English Breakfast and the propects of one of Wendy's evening meals you could get away with a light snack).

If you just want to come down on your own I could do a 10% discount (accom only) if you stay 2 or more nights.

Now that is Publicity... :woohoo: You did ask B)

RacerX - please let me know if this is breaking forum etiquette and I will edit the post accordingly...

Hey Tony ... that's great, my remark had been a little bit tongue-in-cheek, I wasn't really expecting you'd take this up so seriously (and generously) :)

BTW, it hadn't even occurred to me that you could be here mainly for business - you ride a Guzzi, that's all the excuse you need ;)

But, I'll be sure to mention this to the GuzziBouffe list of which I'm a member. (Most of us are around Paris or Orleans, so it'd be somewhat of a bigger trip but nothing is impossible :))

RJVB I am a biker at heart and enjoy the company of other bikers. This is my first Guzzi so I am intrigued to meet other knowledgeable guzzisti

Orleans is not too far away from us I am equidistant between Limoges and Brive.

I note that you might also be a member with the Pennine Branch of the MG club UK - I was born in Grimethorpe, Nr Barnsley. The Lovely Wendy comes from Padiham Near Burnley... Ride safe.

Hi there tony,
:woohoo:

I am booked in as you know for 4 nights next September.......does that 10 percent discount extend to everyone who is a Guzzi Geezer ?......very generous if it does.....look forward to hearing !

Cheers Nigel

Nigel

I am sure we can extend the offer to you and Janette and it extends to anyone who asks ;) I will deduct 10% from the cost of your room, don't forget to bring some Bike mags B)

Hey Tony,
:woohoo:

That is fantastic, thanks at lot for that, brilliant I am really looking forward to next year....hopefully without any cam issues ha ha.
With regard to bike mags, I'll put an old collection together and post some down to you !

Cheers for now
Nigel

forum etiquette

nomad wrote:
Now that is Publicity... Please let me know if this is breaking forum etiquette and I will edit the post accordingly...

While RacerX is in the other room sleeping, I'll give you the drum - we're a friendly bunch (especially in the "real" adventure forum) and board etiquette only really goes as far as racial, political and personal slander, so any publicity for an offer that includes cheap booze, good riding and Guzziesque hospitality is just fine and dandy. We do however like to keep topics on an even keel as it makes it easier for future readers who are searching for stuff - threads that bounce all over the ship are a pain when it comes to a thread subject index which might appear at some time.

In fact I might take you up on the offer of an accommodation and ride chaperon one day!

Bonjour,
Je viens de lire ton aventure de retour en France avec ta nouvelle Guz.
Je suis moi aussi propriétaire d'une Stelvio et quelque fois mon demmareur reste engagé, ma moto n'a pas fais l'objet d'un rappel mais je vais en parler a mon concessionnaire......
Sinon j'habite à 60 km de Lyon, Valence,Grenoble précisement à Beaurepaire et chat quelque fois sur ce site ou j'ai fait la connaissance d'un des administrateurs avec qui nous avons échagé nos motos, ce qui fait que je suis allé en Californie en Aout/Septembre avec ma femme où aprés avoir pris possession d'une bonne vieille Calif EV nous avons fait quelque 4000km dans cet état: Super!
J'ai acheté ma Stelvio au mois de Mai et n'en ai pas encore vu une autre sur les routes de France (encore moins aux US ou les Guz sont rarissimes
A plus

Translate for the English folks:
Hello,
I just read your adventure back in France with your new GUZ.
I also own a Stelvio and sometimes my starter remains engaged, my bike was not subject to a recall but I'll talk to my dealer ......
Otherwise I live 60 km from Lyon, Valencia, Grenoble precisely in Beaurepaire and chat some time on this site, and I met one of the directors (RacerX) with whom we exchange our bikes, so I went in California in August / September with my wife or having taken possession of a good old Calif. EV we have done some 4000km in this state: Super!
I bought my Stelvio in the month of May and I do not seen another on the roads of France (let alone the U.S. or GUZ are rare
Until later.

For the non French..... googled.....
"Hello,
I just read your adventure back in France with your new GUZ.
I also own a Stelvio and sometimes my demmareur remains committed, my bike was not subject to a recall but I'll talk to my dealer ......
Otherwise I live 60 km from Lyon, Valencia, Grenoble precisely in Beaurepaire and chat some time on this site or I met one of the directors with whom we échagé our bikes, so I went in California in August / September with my wife or having taken possession of a good old Calif. EV we have done some 4000km in this state: Super!
I bought my Stelvio in the month of May and I do not seen another on the roads of France (let alone the U.S. or GUZ are rare
A more.

Like the translation for A+, lol.

Welcome Vincent , maybe you'll see a few Brit Stelvio's next summer.

Back