• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New rider from OZ

bodge

Just got it firing!
Howdy
Just purchased a 1990 Lemans 1000.
Have lusted after a Guzzi since I was 18. Over 3 decades now.
Went for this model as I like the looks and the basic design.
And I like to tinker. Very interested to talk with other owners as to what mods/work is considered worthwhile/needed. My bike was recammed by a shop in Melbourne
I am thinking that electronic ignition, would be a good idea. Has anyone fiited such a thing?
In any case, hi, i will try to join in where I can.

Love the LeMans. Definitely using a Dyna III is good. Also the Dyna coils help. You can even add the rev limiter. Mine pulls so strong, she doesn't think she has a red line so I added the limiter to protect the engine. Also if you still have the stock H pipe, a more open one helps. Todd has them available. I kept the stock airbox and filter to make jetting easier, but since you have had a cam done, that may change things. The Mk V is a great bike. You will enjoy her.

Gidday bodge. (now how'd ya get that name ) lol.
You are going to really enjoy this forum, the Dudes are real helpful , and there doesnt seem to be any bs.
Your bike sounds cool . At last you've got one eh? That must be a nice feeling for you . Whereabouts in Aus are you ?
Im in Tauranga NZ.
After 40 odd years of riding allsorts of bikes I decided to get a Guzzi. Never ever ridden one before .I'm impressed .I like the rawness of mine , although at the moment I'm encountering some electrical problems , which I hope to iron out before summer , then I'm outta here .
Mine has got the dyna 111 ignition module , but not the dyna coils . Appearantly the module is a huge upgrade from the old mechanical points , condenser , and stuff .She's also running Mikuni 38's. The engine does not run smooth as a baby's bum and I strongly suspect that inside it there are numerous other goodies that wizz around .She sounds beautiful .I bought my Guzzi a few months ago , somewhat like yourself, always had bikes , but never a Guzzi. I bought a 1985 SP 11 , but to me it is a heap different, doesnt look at all like an SP. There's nothing tourer or cruisey about it . I think its been altered to be like a Lemans . She performs "splendidly magnificently". ( easy to tell someone's age by the type of language ) .I bought it sight unseen . A bit risky I know , but I'm more than happy with what I've got. Ive been meaning to ask on the forum , Do Guzzi's like to be revved to 5000 most of the time (thats where mine really comes alive ) or is it better to nurse them along like a graceful old lady ?
Regards Supaflee

5000RPM? - just coming into Joyville. Man, stop being an old lady and ride it!

oz1200Guzzi ,, she'd just had a crank job before I bought it and I'm wondering if I should be taking her into that region yet or not , dont worry , If its 5000+ that they like , thats where she'll be . Ive only just completed 1000ks since the crank was done . I deliberately kept her below 3000 rpm till I'd done about 950ks , then I gave her a bit of a handful .
My question is really one of safety for the engine , not my ability to enjoy .

With the crank it is better to spin it fast and freely, maintaining high oil pressure rather than lug it or load it.
You can keep the bike reving freely using half throttle, "rolling it on" as oppossed to wacking it open.

Even when it is fully run in you will find it most pleasant playing in the 4 - 6,000 rpm range, and rarely ride below that except when in traffic in town.

Thanks for that . There's where she's going to be from now on then ,, between 4 and 6 thousand .
Ive gotta drain about a litre of oil out of the crankcase , she's been filled up to 4mm above the top of the crimped part of the dipstick where the high and low oil level marks are on it .
Why would someone do that - WTF ?

Back