• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Stelvio Owner

Campagman

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Evening everyone, just joined the forum as I got my 08 Stelvio last weekend after trading up my Honda Transalp.

It's a black model, 4000 miles with engine bars, running lamps/sump guard/heated grips/hand guards/full panniers/top box etc, new tyres and a full service. Pics attached (prior to hand guards being fitted).

I've got lots of reading to do on these pages, see what I can learn.

Only ridden it 80 odd miles, but did ride one in Italy last year near the factory, and had a test ride on another one for an afternoon a few weeks back
Some initial questions I have to answer (would welcome any pointers, but I guess most are already answered somewhere here)
What are the standard tweaks (air filters, rear cans etc, mapping mods etc)
Fuel ecomony - the computer I hope reads way too low (31 mpg)
I may look a taller screen, Givi?,a lot of buffeting even on high screen/low seat, I'm just on 6ft
Heated grips are not too warm
I need to learn how best use the torgue/gears - alot more than the TA, also need to learn how to handle the dead weight when putting in garage.
Where do I put my autocom unit, the underseat tray is obvious but limiting. also whats the spare plug connector near the aux power supply
Zumo mount needs to be sorted
Hugger has to arrive and be fitted
Need to sort a front fenda extenda (seen that thread already)

Need to find other ownwers in Cheshire (home) or Somerset (work)

Thats about it for now

Attachments

• moto_guzzi_stelvio_006.jpg
    moto_guzzi_stelvio_006.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 588
  • moto_guzzi_stelvio_001.jpg
    moto_guzzi_stelvio_001.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 588
Welcome to the board and the big bad world of Guzzi ownership from the dark side. Congrats on taking the plunge.

Lotsa tech heads to answer questions here - post often.

Congrats, looks very nice in black. Mine is still stock so I can't help with modifications.

Cheers!

Bob

Welcome :D

Looks a nice bike, seems like the previous owner had his fingers in the accessories bucket already so must have been a good buy. :lol:

Ref the screen; Givi seems to be the only aftermarket screen, it makes choosing easy :? Having said that I'm 6ft and buffeting isn't a problem so perhaps tuning the screen will help until you get the Givi.

Fuel consumption isn't great, made worse by a small (for this type of bike) tank :( work on around 150 miles safe range and you won't have to worry. I think I can squeeze 170miles out of it but as by then it's arse clenching time, I don't ;) ...Which is a pity as it's without doubt the most comfortable bike I've ever owned.

The power plug under the seat is just that, (pity they didn't put one on the dash as well) probably useful for heated clothing.

I've got an 09 so don't need the mods, there's plenty to read up on here so happy reading and riding B)

Congratulations on your new bike.

I wouldnt get hung up on learning to ride on the greater torque than the TransAlp, the Stelvio thrives on revs and you wont see it's best side until you get used to letting the revs get up beyond the 6k mark. It felt wrong to me at first but your brain reprograms eventually (pity the ECU doesnt).

Just remember that the mpg on the computer is in American gallons so add 10% to what you are getting at the moment for Imperial capacities. At motorway speeds mine lights the fuel warning at 125 to 130 miles and runs to 150 no problem (indicated 38 mpg on the computer). When riding on proper roads with plenty of gear changing and rolling on/off throttle work the UK mpg had been as high (or is that low?) as 50 mpg, and that is far from hanging about!!

I am in Preston Lancs so I am not too far away if you get desperate?

Ackers

Hi

I'm in Dorset if you're passing.
On fuel economy and the fuel gauge.
I have twice run the tank dry on 195 miles.
The fuel gauge seems to operate as follows:
Both segments black - full to half full
Lower segment black - less than half full
Mine changes from 2 black segments to one black at around 100 miles thereby confirming a theoretical max empty tank range of around 200 miles.
My orange fuel warning light comes on at around 120 miles and I'm therefore pretty comfortable upto around 180 miles.
My riding is inevitably over mixed road types and I dont cane it!
Good luck.

Campagman said:
Fuel ecomony - the computer I hope reads way too low (31 mpg)
I may look a taller screen, Givi?,a lot of buffeting even on high screen/low seat, I'm just on 6ft
Heated grips are not too warm
I need to learn how best use the torgue/gears - alot more than the TA, also need to learn how to handle the dead weight when putting in garage.
Where do I put my autocom unit, the underseat tray is obvious but limiting. also whats the spare plug connector near the aux power supply
Zumo mount needs to be sorted
Hugger has to arrive and be fitted
Need to sort a front fenda extenda (seen that thread already)

My fuel economy was in the mid to low 30s, then suddenly jumped to the high 30s around 4000 miles. Not sure why but it was mainly error in the readout. It is now much closer at around 40MPG.

Givi makes a taller shield. Helps a bit.

I have aftermarket heated grips. They are actually TOO warm on high.

I put my Autocom unit on the left side of the airbox, with a little plastic around it to keep it dry. There was just enough room to bundle all of the wires and such there. That way I kept the tool tray open.

I have two RAM mounts on mine. On for the GPS and the other for my PDA. Hard to beat the RAM mount system.

Congratulations on your Stelvio. Fuel range is a tad short, I've added 2 small fuel cells , 8 more ltrs.,to the top of my hard bags to supplement range. Have also just added a California Scientific windshield. Suspect they are not practical to ship to the UK but you may want to take a look at their web site as they have interesting info on selection process. I'm sure you have heard about the cam/follower recall. If not lots of info on the site about it, at 4000 kms your bike will have been done I expect. Good luck with it and am interested in hearing about all your planned mods.

kmartin said:
I also have a California Scientific screen, and love it.

I've got the CalSci screen too, it's great even with the seat set high.

I added a 4.5 gallon Tour Tank for fuel range, should be good a stress free 300-320 mile range.

Attachments

• IMG_0046.JPG
    IMG_0046.JPG
    938.9 KB · Views: 531
Givi screen stops buffeting for me @ 6'2", Firstline in North London will do you a good deal.
K&N filter a must (1002) as with any serious bike.
I bought a Mistral pipe from Italy, good service from them and a nice bit of kit not too loud with a certificate of conformity to keep the interfering killjoy scum happy, e-mail info@mistralspecialparts.it, his English is much better than my Italian.
Petrol consumption 2 up (always with this bike) is 36 mpg worked out myself rather than off the display. I'm hoping this will inprove as the engine runs in, only done 1100 so far.
Problems, seat slides rider forward all the time and the stepper motor messes up the injector balance, tick over and over-run.
Also the tanks too small but you knew that when you bought it!
A good piece od advice given previously on this thread and to me earlier is don't baby it, it's not a Hardly Worthit and they love to rev.
Enjoy!
(btw red ones are faster :evil: )

Ray1150 said:
Givi screen stops buffeting for me @ 6'2", Firstline in North London will do you a good deal.

Got one from M&P, just before Christmas, excellent service from them. Not tried it yet, still have snow on the ground :( . It just clashes with the MG hand Guards when on full lock though.

Ray1150 said:
K&N filter a must (1002) as with any serious bike.

Do you have a more precise part no, any mods required? assume the injection systems takes care of the extra air?

Ray1150 said:
I bought a Mistral pipe from Italy, good service from them and a nice bit of kit not too loud with a certificate of conformity to keep the interfering killjoy scum happy, e-mail info@mistralspecialparts.it, his English is much better than my Italian.

Mind me asking how much and is it much lighter, I've also heard of a ZARD rear can.

Ray1150 said:
Enjoy!
(btw red ones are faster :evil: )

Apparently red is always faster - RED shift maybe :D

Back