• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New to Guzzi!

henerythe8th

Just got it firing!
Just bought my first Moto Guzzi yesterday!

2011 Stelvio.

I am excited to learn about the new bike.
I do most all of my own work and will be parting with my Suzuki V-Strom soon.
I've eyed the Stelvio since it came to the states.
Went to a motorcycle show over the weekend and purchased one a couple of days later, yesterday.

I would like to put crash bars/engine bars on the bike as well as an alloy skid plate/sump guard (the skid plate I may fabricate myself) the tubing bending is out of the league of my home workshop.

From the reading that I've done it appears that the Hepco Becker bars are inferior, I find others by Stucchi Luigi but they are out of stock. It seems that the MG bars have vibration issues.

What are the recommended bars?

Thanks for the help!

henerythe8th said:
Just bought my first Moto Guzzi yesterday! 2011 Stelvio. What are the recommended (crash) bars?
Welcome to the Forum, and congrats on the Stelvio(!). It should be a long time keeper for you I'll bet.
So if it's really a 2011 (2010 perhaps? Silver w/ABS?), then it should've come with crash-bars. Since they aren't on the bike, then the factory versions with a Stucchi oil sump guard (it has a hole for oil filter access) is what I'd recommend. MGCycle.com has the sump guard in stock.

Post again/often. Any pictures of the bike yet? Feel free to send them to me if you have any issues posting them via direct e-mail; Todd at GuzziTech.com

I also came from a V-Strom to a Stelvio, you'll not regret it ! I have the NTX (2010) version with the stock MG engine bars and bash plate and have no vibration issues. The later bars have the spotlight bracket included (rather than a separate bar) so may be better if they fit ? Enjoy the new bike.

I'd like to ask you guys coming off Vstroms what you think after living with the Stelvio for a while. I am looking to make the same move. I'm on a 2006 Vstrom 1k now, after riding a 1982 BMW R100RS for 30 years. I bought the Vee because I couldn't find exactly what I wanted at the time and it was a cheap way to sit on the bleachers...... but it's a pretty good bike (hate the chain drive) to be honest given when it was designed.

I originally wanted a Stelvio. I test rode a 2009 but didn't fall in love with it. I decided to wait for the updated version with the larger fuel tank and retuned engine. I have since test ridden a 2012 and it's what I've been waiting for.

But ...... I don't plunge into that kinda expense lightly so I'm looking for all the "support" and feedback I can find. So far what I've read is extremely positive.

That kinda expense is literally thousands less than a fully equipped Beemer. That said I am sure you are aware of the conversions you will have to make, IE; throwaway mirror/sigs, fog lamps, added heated grips, etc. Bur, for a long range, fast, comfortable cruiser able to tackle fire and logging roads, she can't be beat. And if you want her to purr like a pussy cat and growl like a lion, see Todd. :)

danketchpel said:
I'd like to ask you guys coming off Vstroms what you think after living with the Stelvio for a while. I am looking to make the same move. I'm on a 2006 Vstrom 1k now, after riding a 1982 BMW R100RS for 30 years. I bought the Vee because I couldn't find exactly what I wanted at the time and it was a cheap way to sit on the bleachers...... but it's a pretty good bike (hate the chain drive) to be honest given when it was designed.

I originally wanted a Stelvio. I test rode a 2009 but didn't fall in love with it. I decided to wait for the updated version with the larger fuel tank and retuned engine. I have since test ridden a 2012 and it's what I've been waiting for.

But ...... I don't plunge into that kinda expense lightly so I'm looking for all the "support" and feedback I can find. So far what I've read is extremely positive.

I have never owned a Strom, but have had the opportunity to ride borrowed bikes (both 650 and 1000 CC versions) fairly extensively. I liked the V-Strom. I found it (especially the larger version) powerful and nice handling, all-in-all a very competent motorcycle. The difference between the Strom and the Stelvio is two-fold. First, I think the Stelvio's shaft drive is awesome. For me, not having a shaft is a deal breaker in a motorcycle purchase. Secondly, the Stelvio has a lot more personality and for lack of a better word, "soul" than the Strom. This is just a subjective observation of course, but I feel an attachment to my Stelvio greater than any other bike I have ever owned. The Stroms are a little more appliance-like to me than the Stelvio.

I think you will be very happy with the Stelvio. Unlike Japanese bikes, you sometimes have to tinker a bit to get a Stelvio running exactly right, but once you have it properly set up, there is simply nothing like it.

Cheers,

Bruce

GT-Rx said:
henerythe8th said:
Just bought my first Moto Guzzi yesterday! 2011 Stelvio. What are the recommended (crash) bars?
Welcome to the Forum, and congrats on the Stelvio(!). It should be a long time keeper for you I'll bet.
So if it's really a 2011 (2010 perhaps? Silver w/ABS?), then it should've come with crash-bars. Since they aren't on the bike, then the factory versions with a Stucchi oil sump guard (it has a hole for oil filter access) is what I'd recommend. MGCycle.com has the sump guard in stock.

Post again/often. Any pictures of the bike yet? Feel free to send them to me if you have any issues posting them via direct e-mail; Todd at GuzziTech.com

White with ABS.
Had SW-Motech type pannier racks with Guzzi labeled Traxx bags on it.

vp2435887_2_large.jpg

http://www.empire-cycle.com/new_veh...2013J7I46I47JPMQ3806R0&veh=215667&pov=2435887

Thanks for the feedback Toadride and BravoBravo.

I am becoming pretty aware of the few areas of "need" for the Stelvio. I have found all bikes have some weakness that needs addressing, it's just a matter of knowing what the fixes are. My Strom was no different, it needed remapping and clutch upgrade work. I fully understand how a good remapping of a V-twin can completely change it's character, it was the same for the Vstrom, the stock mapping sucks. After dyno tuning with a PC3, whole new bike.

Bravobravo, I'd agree with you on the shaft drive. After living with a nice shaft drive for 30 years, then reluctantly going back to a chain, I want my shaft drive back again. I thought that in the first place when I started looking around for a BMW replacement, now I'm 100% sure of it.

I know what you mean about "soul" that's one of the things that kept the old airhead Beemer in the garage for so long. The big Vstrom has some character, but it's not in the same league. I think it's the same with the Super Tenere, the only other bike I'm seriously considering. I keep thinking which I'd like to own for the next 10 years at least and the Guzzi stands out in that regard.

To the OP, thanks for posting up the pix of your new ride. I haven't seen a white one yet.

I know it's not the same heap of gold the GS is, but it's still a tall stack of coins for this humble rider. ~$15k is no chump change.

Toadride said:
That kinda expense is literally thousands less than a fully equipped Beemer. That said I am sure you are aware of the conversions you will have to make, IE; throwaway mirror/sigs, fog lamps, added heated grips, etc. Bur, for a long range, fast, comfortable cruiser able to tackle fire and logging roads, she can't be beat. And if you want her to purr like a pussy cat and growl like a lion, see Todd. :)
I'm picking up a new 012 NTX Thursday . The mirrors are that crappy ?? I've heard some rumors . What should I be looking at for replacement ? I've never liked the mirrors on my Griso I'm trading in but they've held up ok . Its an 09 and never had any problems since new . I'm really excited about the Stelvio and looking forward to putting some serious miles on . The weather is finally coming around here on the west coast......for the moment ! cheers, Steve

Hi Henery

I was looking on-line at that bike. Ended up getting a left over 2009 from Moto International. I have 140 miles on it so far.

Welcome.

Ron

steve lindsay said:
I'm picking up a new 012 NTX Thursday . The mirrors are that crappy ?? I've heard some rumors . What should I be looking at for replacement? I'm really excited about the Stelvio and looking forward to putting some serious miles on . The weather is finally coming around here on the west coast......for the moment ! cheers, Steve
The stock mirrors/turn signals are garbage. Ring up MPHCycles in Houston (speak with Todd there), and he'll get you going. The Euro T/S fit into the stock bodywork, and if I'm not mistaken, the mirrors are the same ones on your Griso (off of the 1200 Sport). I personally really like that combo too.
You're going to love the Stelvio, and if you let it breathe and fix the fueling, you'll love it beyond words.

danketchpel said:
I'd like to ask you guys coming off Vstroms what you think after living with the Stelvio for a while. I am looking to make the same move. I originally wanted a Stelvio. I test rode a 2009 but didn't fall in love with it. I decided to wait for the updated version with the larger fuel tank and retuned engine. I have since test ridden a 2012 and it's what I've been waiting for.
Dan, I put quite a few miles on the V-Strom 1k, as a friend used to own one. He has since ridden my '09 Stelvio, and confirms it's much better of a bike in many ways... even outside of it's immense "character."
If you like what you felt on the '12 NTX (you ride it at Thousand Oaks by chance?), you'll love it even more once it's been set up properly, and lucky for you I'm not that far away.
I say buy it, you won't regret it.

GT-Rx said:
Dan, I put quite a few miles on the V-Strom 1k, as a friend used to own one. He has since ridden my '09 Stelvio, and confirms it's much better of a bike in many ways... even outside of it's immense "character."
If you like what you felt on the '12 NTX (you ride it at Thousand Oaks by chance?), you'll love it even more once it's been set up properly, and lucky for you I'm not that far away.
I say buy it, you won't regret it.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, it was at the T.O. dealership. I do understand the importance of getting a bike setup the way you like it, makes a huge difference IMO.

Yes, am looking for input on what's better besides the character aspect. I'm pretty well convinced the Stelvio will be the Strom replacement. It's direct competitor for me is the Super Tenere, that's the decision to make.

I like most aspects of the Stelvio better but I do wish I could buy it without luggage as I'd prefer to use the boxes I have now. I'm not entirely impressed with the Trax boxes. I don't know how easy they are to sell. Do you know if SW-Motech makes quick detach side racks for the Stelvio? I have those for my KLR and Vstrom and love 'em. That's really what I want on the Stelvio. I have searched but not found any yet.

I have taken note of your location, that is a good thing.

Maybe this stuff should be in a different thread, not sure.

danketchpel said:

I had my V-Strom set up very sporty with +25mm jack up links at the rear & the forks dropped 15mm with uprated springs. It handled well and turned very quickly, to be honest I didn't think I could get the Stelvio to be as 'good'. I was impressed immediately with the Guzzi's chassis, it's heavy but feels a lot lighter than it is. I dropped the forks about 15mm and replaced the rear shock for a Wilbers item to suit my weight (18st +, ahem...). My Stelvio is now as quick as my V-Strom was from A to B and is even more stable. The shaft is painless and it is sooo much more comfortable over distance. I had a little 3,000 mile loop around Europe last year and we had one fairly big day with 570 miles to cover. The Stelvio did it with ease and I was a lot fresher than I expected at the end of it and could have easily done another couple of hours if required. My two friends (GS1200 & K1200s BMW's) were not so comfortable and bleated on all night, almost putting me off my beer ! I'm getting high 40's MPG (UK) compared to mid 40's on the 'Strom and can get it into the low 50's with some throttle restraint. The Stelvio has bags of character and that is the one depatment it beats a 'Strom hands down. Go for it, you'll love it !

P.S. I was close to buying a Super Ten' Yamaha as it is a good, solid bike and my nearest dealer is only one mile away from my house. After two test rides of the Yam' I went for the Guzzi as it's more comfortable and is just more engaging. While I now have to travel 75 miles to my nearest dealer I do not regret the decision in the slightest. Very happy after 10,000 relatively trouble free miles - bring on the summer !

Thanks for the insight Bisonheed.

Your comments about comfort for the long haul is something important. It sounds like you had the right bike for the trip through the continent. I've driven it several times, I hope to ride it one of these days..... :-D

How I wish I could do a European delivery program, pick up the bike at the factory, spend 3 weeks riding all over the place, then have the bike shipped home. The European car companies offer this, I wonder if the bike companies do also?

danketchpel said:
Thanks for the insight Bisonheed.

Your comments about comfort for the long haul is something important. It sounds like you had the right bike for the trip through the continent. I've driven it several times, I hope to ride it one of these days..... :-D

How I wish I could do a European delivery program, pick up the bike at the factory, spend 3 weeks riding all over the place, then have the bike shipped home. The European car companies offer this, I wonder if the bike companies do also?

At one time, Ducati had such a program, but I have not heard of it being done for the last number of years. You're right. It would be a great idea. I have to think there must be some logistical and administrative problems which prevent it from happening.

Bruce

GT-Rx said:
steve lindsay said:
I'm picking up a new 012 NTX Thursday . The mirrors are that crappy ?? I've heard some rumors . What should I be looking at for replacement? I'm really excited about the Stelvio and looking forward to putting some serious miles on . The weather is finally coming around here on the west coast......for the moment ! cheers, Steve
The stock mirrors/turn signals are garbage. Ring up MPHCycles in Houston (speak with Todd there), and he'll get you going. The Euro T/S fit into the stock bodywork, and if I'm not mistaken, the mirrors are the same ones on your Griso (off of the 1200 Sport). I personally really like that combo too.
You're going to love the Stelvio, and if you let it breathe and fix the fueling, you'll love it beyond words.

Just got back with the new ride . 2012 Stelvio NTX and I love it . First time I've really been totally comfortable on a motorcycle for any distance . My 35 inch inseam didn't quite fit the Griso and wind buffeting was getting to this aging neck even with the add on windscreen . I couldn't believe how smooth this bike is . When I picked it up Gord at Valley Yamaha ( Chilliwack ) gave me a run through and the bike had a full tank of gas when I left . I can say the guys at the Valley Yamaha dealership are in the same class as the gang at MI and just as passionate about these bikes . I will get some pics up Todd and thanks for getting back with this info . As a matter of fact Valley have the revamped set for replacement and will probably do so at first service . Beautiful weather here this weekend and am going to take advantage of it . I'll report in soon and if anyone is pondering a Stelvio purchase and your a little taller than average , go for it , you will be damn impressed with this bike Cheers, Steve

GT-Rx said:
steve lindsay said:

OK , I'm curious about fixing the fueling and you say let it breath . Should I be looking at a power commander and if so , what type ?
As for breathing I'm certainly in for doing anything to improve the bike although throttle response isn't bad but not perfect . Much better than the Griso with the added sensors I guess . I'm on a learning curve here so please be patient :!:

steve lindsay said:
OK , I'm curious about fixing the fueling and you say let it breath . Should I be looking at a power commander and if so , what type ?
As for breathing I'm certainly in for doing anything to improve the bike although throttle response isn't bad but not perfect . Much better than the Griso with the added sensors I guess . I'm on a learning curve here so please be patient :!:
All options listed here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/235/2686.html - the twin sensors add a little complexity/cost, but the end result is quite impressive. If you think it fuels OK now, just wait until you experience it once you feed it the fuel it's looking for.
Feel free to reach out to me direct email with other questions; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Back