• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New to GuzziTech looking at buying 1200 Sport

MrGPz

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
Hello All,

New here, I am thinking of purchasing a new 1200 Sport (2012).
Can anyone share their good/bad experiences with one of these.
warranty recalls etc

I've just sold my long term GPz1100 ('84) and also used to ride a '00 ZX12
I need to get into something reliable and not so fast.
I found the riding position of the ZX12 better for my 6' frame than the GPz, although i have done +60K miles on the GPz and only 20k miles on the ZX12.

Thanks in advance
Glenn

Glenn, welcome to the site, and in advance to the Guzzi Famiglia.

In reading through this site, you'll see Guzzi is still a very unique/exclusive brand. They are far from perfect as delivered, but once sorted (mostly minor things), you'll end up with a bike you can never part with. The 12S 8V didn't come to the U.S. for whatever silly reason, but the 8V motor has proven strong outside of a few minor early (~'09) camshaft issues, and little else. I haven't heard of one issue to date on the 12S 8V. If the bike fits you physically, (go test ride a Breva 11 or Norge 12 if you can't find a 12S to test, as they are the same frame) then you are in for a real treat.

I spent one third of my life on Sportbikes (mostly competitively), and tired of the clip-on bar position. Most every bike I own these days has handlebars again. The 12S is a solid street bike, but while the 8V is a very solid power plant for street use, it is far from any I4 power... just keep that in mind. A "Sport" it is not.

Of you have any questions not covered here, post again.

Glenn,

What Todd says is right. The Sport bit - is Italian for hooning around in the Northern Italian alpine roads on a bike that doesn't go incredible top speeds (roads don't allow for it anyway), has bucket loads of torque and character which is ideal for the twisties in that area, and puts a smile on your dial for hours at a time - now that is Sporty!

Hi,

thanks for the info,

About the "Sport" bit, I am after something that is good on the twisties and doesn't need to cruise at ballistic speeds.

There are Brevas and Norges in my area, so I'll take test ride to see if it fits.Hopefully I'll be able to join in soon as an owner..

What you'll discover is that it's a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow!
Bare

You may initially be surprised by the weight of the 1200 Sport, and the fact that it carries it high. The bike weighs well over 500 pounds, so it isn't a 'point and shoot' sport bike. It is a sport tourer, in my judgement much like the flying brick K bikes were sport tourers. They too were plus-500 pound machines.

Here in the USA, only the 2008 models were available, and those are powered by the venerable 2 valve per cylinder push rod engine, rated by the factory at 95hp at the crank. These engines were approximately 100cc larger than the engine on the Breva 1100, and I think (I may be corrected on this) came in a slightly higher state of tune.

I've been riding my 2008 model since April of 2010, and have emphasized the sport touring nature of the bike by adding a slightly higher bar with just a touch more set back (from Aprilia Mana - this is rather common fix), adjustable foot pegs from Twisted Throttle, and a Corbin saddle. Additionally, I travel with a Bagster tank cover and bag, and have installed Hepco Becker 30 liter Junior bags. Perhaps the best fix for my kind of riding was abandoning the sport rubber that came on the bike for Pilot Road 3 tires. They make the bike feel 100 pounds lighter, allow it to easily roll into turns, and hold a nice line (which can easily be corrected if the need arises.)

She just turned 45000 miles, and there's no bike I've owned that makes me anticipate the next riding season quite so much as my 1200 Sport (tourer)

Here's a link to a thread on Wild Guzzi that may interest you.
wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=64125.0

Bob

Welcome! As Todd pointed out, we in the US sadly did not get the 8V version of the 1200S, I have an 08 Model I just picked up in September it had 9K Miles on it--has 12K now, and I've been loving every minute of it--

The only issue I've had with this bike so far, is that the owner before me torqued and stripped out the Valve Cover heads and I had to take it to MPH here in Houston--2 hour Job and I was on my way again, Other then that? Nothing just pure fun-- My bikes prior to this one were a Ninja 250 then a KZ1000-- The 1200S is far from the fastest bike out there, but she's got enough grunt to surprise me and keep me happy :mrgreen: It's faster then my rebuilt KZ and pulls hard from low-mid range, granted this is the 2V version, and I've heard the 4V's are different beasts entirely. Longest trip I did on her so far was 1600 Miles in a weekend, my only complaint was my wrist, which can easily be fixed with the Mana Bars.

Redux,

I'm in The Woodlands - are you up for a ride? I've never seen another MG in my local travels!

Tom

Thanks for the information, I'll let you all know how I get on,

So, I had a quick look around a dealer today, there were 3 Grisos and one 1200 Sport.
There is a Griso demo but no 1200 Sport demo. I'm going back next weekend for a ride on the Griso, This will be more to get a feel for the V-twin "feel" than as a demo ride for the 1200. Who knows I might love the Griso instead. There is another dealer 200Kms away that has a Norge 12 so I might go there for a test ride of that.
Apparenty the model updates for the 1200 sport was 2009 and then 2011, there isn't a 2014 model update.

OK, 1200 Sport, do I get ABS or not????
Never needed ABS on my GPz, although it did have the easy ability to lock the front, or on my ZX12,
By the way I ride in dry and wet weather.

Well, test rode the Norge it was a 2007, and then a griso from another dealer,
Decided to buy the 1200 Sport ABS from second dealer, although the Griso was outstanding.
Bike was not in stock, so they had one shipped from the distributor, yesterday and it was ready today. I will pick it up on Friday....

Hi,
I have owned a Griso and now a 1200 Sport 8V Corsa. The Sports riding position is like heaven on earth in comparison to a Griso, real hop on and ride all day stuff.
I am 5' 11'' and the Griso was just too tight in the legs for me even with KD lowered pegs & levers which I touched down all the time.
My Sport is so good I am now thinking of selling my Cali as my wife prefers the Sport and when she is not with me it morphs into a hooligan bike and leads me very much astray, if I am in the mood.
If you like the 4V/8V motor then I can very much recommend a Sport.

If the 1200 Sport with 8v engine was available here in the States, I'm certain I'd sell my 2v 2008 model for it, after first returning the 2008 to stock ergonomics, and removing the HB 30L Juniors for use on the 8v. However, I'd be watching the '08 depart through misty eyes. She has been, and is, one good motorcycle. The Griso 8vSE 'might' also get sold or traded at that time, too, except I'm starting to like that bike so much more than at first. I think I'm a set of riser shims and a Corbin saddle away from a much more comfortable ride. I'm 5'7" so the seat to peg distance isn't too bad. Having said that, I have installed a set of adjustable foot pegs from Twisted Throttle on the Griso (and the 1200 Sport.)

Bob

Thanks, After riding the Griso demo bike and now having just taken possession of my 1200 Sport. I can say there should be room for both in my garage, but there's not so it is the 1200 Sport. The first 350 Ks on the Sport on long country roads, which I spend most of my time on, is pretty darn good.
Glenn

I'm 5'7 as well and the Griso is perfect for me...
I can ride all day long (done it plenty of times) and still fresh at the end of the day.

It's the GIVI 770 but no longer available.
It has been discontinued for 2 years now and it's a real shame too cause they do look good.

Back