• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New to me Stelvio

Ray Slocomb

Tuned and Synch'ed
I will be picking up a 15 Stelvio on Wed. in Ca. and taking it home to central Oregon. I'm an old fart at 72 but still ride a lot. After my last run on my FJR1300 in the Norcal mountains the riding position just doesn't work any more for my tired spinal column so I wanted a more relaxed position and haven't owned a Guzzi since the Convert I had a million years ago. I'll probably keep my wing but the FJR in down the road. I had 6 of them since 02.
I'm a life long wrench and have a small one butt m/c repair shop so I will be picking all your brains for tips and tricks to keep this happy.
Looking forward to being here.

Welcome, Many of the things you may run into are well covered here. Spend some time going through the Stelvio and CARC sections and you should be well aware of any topics you may need.

Hello and Congratulations!

The Stelvio NTX is simply an amazing motorcycle. I have loved mine every minute since new in 2012.

I’ve had Todd’s (GTM) full setup with the PowerCommander V and Dual probe Autotune for many years now.

https://gtmotocycles.com/collections/all-products/products/gtm-ft-pc-v-at300-ecu-flash-tool

My motorcycle has been the best running bike you can imagine. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade that I highly recommend (and I am the king of stock condition motorcycles). That’s really saying something for me to recommend an upgrade but this one really is amazing.

The other thing I did was ditch the “ultra-high maintenance” spoke wheels for a set of Moto Guzzi OEM cast alloys (I got the cool red Moto Guzzi logo stickers from the V7 Racer) which I bought from Todd. So much nicer and a breeze to keep clean and tidy.

I have a motorcycle repair shop too. We have several mechanics here (John Zibell above is one). If you have any questions, feel free to give a shout out.

Hope you come and post frequently. We Stelvio riders are lucky people indeed and it always nice to meet more!

Regards,

Scott

2886D343 D166 41C0 A883 1B29B1A9CC5B 08DB7A11 AC18 4308 9135 E3A595F425F0
5E34A61C 513A 4675 A536 0346076C848F

Last edited:
Got home after a thousand miles on the road with the new scoot in the trailer. Put it on the lift to start bringing service up to date. all is going well but nobody in my small town has the needed oil and I wanted to ride it today. I don't really want to use something else and the owners manual isn't much help.

The Owners Manual is quite clear:

“USE HIGH-QUALITY 10W - 60 OIL.”

Although I use Eni (Italian) 10w60 4T oil, I can because I bought a few cases way back when it was available in the USA.

I don’t believe you can get it anymore here but you can get Motul (French) or LiquiMoly (German) or Motorec (Swiss) online at Amazon.com shipped to you

I like any of those brands. They will all perform excellent in the Stelvio.

If you do a search on Amazon.com for “10W60 4T”, you will see several options available to ship to your doorstep. (Just avoid the scammers with their $20+ a liter prices.)

European manufactured 10W60 4T runs about $10 a liter.

What is important for the Stelvio, is that you use 10W60 4T oil. Manufacturer is not important, but that specific specification is!

Moto Guzzi has had a bulletin about this where issues had surfaced by owners not using the right oil.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. The owners manual says use high quality 10-60 oil and I found some in the next town closest to me so now I can go for a ride. When I buy something I always do the servicing so I know when and how it was done. All the fluids are new so now to check suspension settings and adjust for my girth and out into the sunshine. Thanks again for the help and I'll be back.

Just got back from 150 miles and all is good except the lock shop can't help with a spare key and the rear brake is useless. I cycled the ABS a number of times on my dirt road so when is cools off I'll try bleeding it again to see if I get any bubbles.
Don't know what to do about spare keys for the ignition or the boxes.

I don't now your what boxes you have, but a spare ignition key blank can be purchased from a dealer. It will then have to be cut by a locksmith and you will have to program that key to the dash.

I'll check with the dealer for the blank. The locksmith can cur it but How does one program the key.
The boxes are factory OEM

It is my understanding that to program keys on the Stelvio requires a dealer terminal like Axone or Navigator. (EDITED: THIS TURNS OUT TO BE INCORRECT! YOU CAN PROGRAM NEW KEYS VIA THE ONBOARD MENU)

Shame. On my 2009 Piaggio MP3 400, I can program new keys simply with the Master key, via a rotation of the keys in the ignition in a precise sequence for a precise time. So much more owner friendly but I understand why Moto Guzzi designed it that way.

Manufacturers realize the incredible expense that is incurred by dealers for their sales and repair facilities. Believe me, it is not cheap and you can easily lose your ass financially very fast; as evidenced by the number of closed MG dealers in the USA. The manufacturers tried to “protect” the revenue stream by directing customers to the dealer for these types of services. Those computer systems cost thousands of dollars (I know, I have a few) and people want for free, what dealers and repair facilities have paid $$$ for.

Kind of exactly what Todd (GTM) has experienced with his ECU flash tool and fueling upgrades. Somebody is always trying to steal your work and tools for nothing.

This is why it is critical to SUPPORT YOUR DEALER otherwise you won’t have one soon enough.

Last edited:
To program a key, read the owners manual. Or make a contribution and get the Breva11Serve manual from the downloads. The procedure is the same for a Stelvio, Your dealer may be able to get luggage keys as well or be able to find out the blank number.

I cycled the ABS a number of times on my dirt road so when is cools off I'll try bleeding it again to see if I get any bubbles.

What does “useless” mean?

The rear brake works excellent but unless you use the dash function to turn off Traction control and ABS (separate functions) then the rear wheel behavior is intervened by the computer.

I’m not sure you will get anywhere with a brake bleed.

Have you read the Owners Manual and familiarized yourself with the Service Manual? Not glanced at it but actually read it?

These will open your eyes about your motorcycle if you invest some time and effort instead if just asking questions that are covered in detail in there.

These manuals are all in the DOWNLOADS section for contributing members to the site. Join, read, learn.

Last edited:
Understand RTFM. after making the ABS function a few times and then bleeding got a bunch of air out and the brakes work fine. Will try to do my home work before asking questions.:)

I have the owners manual and will try to figure out how to download the service manual. I much prefer paper manuals but haven't located one yet.
I put about 500 miles on the Stelvio over the weekend and It's a lot of fun but I do need to make an appointment with the people at Russell for a seat rebuild.
Another observation is that for a bike that is suitable for some off road work it would be nice if it were geared a bit lower to save on the clutch in the slow stuff.

Geared lower? :eek:

The Stelvio will 'tractor' through pretty much anything in first without needing the Clutch, as long as it's got a decent Map in it, and the Throttle Bodies are correctly balanced and clean*.

If anything, I'd like it geared higher, but then I never go off-road.

As for Oil, remember you don't need (or want) Bike-specific Oils in the Guzzi, due to the Dry Clutch.
Mobil 1 is readily available in 10W-60, a lot of BMW cars use it, so you should be able to find it easily enough.

Don't fill it past the half-way point on the Dipstick (half-way between the upper and lower marks that is).
If you do, it will dump the excess through the recirc system, and into the Airbox, where it will find it's way into the intakes, and *gum up the Throttle Plates.

Ray, if you want to test out a Russell seat I have one for a Stelvio. I'm in Sisters OR.

Back