• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New to the world of Guzzi with a (new to me) neglected V50II

APAudVid

Just got it firing!
Hey Guys!
First time on the forum and glad to be here!
Been doing a ton of reading and research but still have lots to learn!
Ok, quick long story short, I’m (or was?):) a vintage Honda guy. I was out looking for a CX650 when a Moto Guzzi V50II had found me. I have always admired the Guzzi’s, though the thought of one always seemed a bit out of reach. This one was within reach and all there (for the most part) and neglected (not abused)… Neglect is something I’ve come to get used to with the Honda’s and I know the drill with them. Clean the carburetors, tank, fluids, etc and for not a whole lot of money, I can get them back into spec and have a nice ride….
I got the V50II a few days ago, and have yet to do a thing to it. Looking for advice and still researching I guess.
Before I turn a wrench (or and Allen key) I wanted to get on the forums for some advice.
So, if I may ask…
Fluids, I’ve got 10/50 for the engine (I’m guessing non synthetic?) 90 weight for the transmission, 140 w with a ½ oz Magic? (I’m looking for and oil reinforcement) for the rear end, and if I cross referenced right, DOT 4 brake fluid? Dextron for the forks?
The engines got good compression, and it goes in and out of gear with the clutch seeming to work as advertised. I think the brake calipers will need a good cleaning or rebuild. Not sure how involved that will be….
What is the story on the battery? I have seen a few different thoughts on a suitable replacement battery. For non riding testing, can I use a car battery or lawn and garden battery? This V50 is the year of the Bosch electronic ignition…
I did find an online shop manual for the bike and have been reading it quite vigorously, though I know your insight will point me in the right direction!!!
(actually any help or other random thoughts would be great!)
Really looking forward to this new journey and thanks in advance!
Adam

Re: New to the world of Guzzi with a (new to me) neglected V

Hi Adam,

Something for you to read if you haven't already found it in your research:

http://guzzista.wetpaint.com/page/Older+Small+Block+Issues?

Anything to do with oils and things like tyres abnd batteries are quite controversial. I'll write what I do but I'm sure some mortified member will contradict me. I'm past caring and avoid the paranoia. :p

I run 20W50 rather than 10 but I can't see any harm really. If you are into classic bikes I'm sure you have been involved in a ZDDP level / SG rated oil debate. Diesel oil works fine too due its ability to withstand the loads on a flat tappet engine.

Gearbox, some form of 80W90 or there abouts.

Rear drive uses 85W140 with 10ml of moly disulphide additive. Some owners use full synhetic. I don'tbother but I do find that the additive reduces the operating temperature. I purchased 450 gramsw of tungsten disulphide (similar stuff) from these guys: http://lowerfriction.com/ That's a lifetime supply. :cool:

Batteries! :shock: There will be some here who will spare no expense and buy an Odyssey super duper plus or something similar. Nice if you have the cash, if not the lawn mower battery thing works and fits fine. 12N24-3 or a U1R-7 from Walmart if you are in the US.

I can hear the cries of horror now about how the bike will dissolve and your sphincter will be scarred by sulphuric acid giesers but so be it. Bring it on!!!! :twisted:

Rod, not going to Guzzi heaven but intending to have fun with like minded souls on the outside track. :D

Back