• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New V7/85 65hp for 2021

Vincenzo... but if they’re smart they’ll pull the plug on the V9, and drop some good Le Mans stylistic cues on it.
The original 1100 Cals in the late ‘90s/early ‘00s made 59 rwhp stock. Exhaust and tuning got them to 65 up to 72 rwhp. The V85 engine puts it square in the hunt to the big block, and a great deal lighter. However before getting too excited, the big block can get to 90 rwhp now with not much effort.
I really would’ve love to have seen a monoshock like the V85TT. I still might have to do the one I’m thinking of.
All in all, the next logical step and not too surprising really.

Really - it’s impossible to imagine what is driving the direction of all but a few very focused companies, once those &$#@%€£¥§ Marketing guys or the Pencil necked Bean counters get involved - I can all go to hell in a hand-basket in short order !

Ps: And I’m not for a minute saying I could do a better job, but I would build something I would personably like to ride, not try and imagine what the Public wants to ride...

Hmmm, the angle on that rear shock is really quite different , what is that going to do the the ride, softer ??
old school motocross days they called thay "lay-down" shocks. A cheap way of getting more travel and a plusher feel from the pogos.

If you look close, there are close wound coils at each end of the spring, not sure if my v7 springs are wound like that.. ill have to go home and look. so the spring is soft at both ends with a stiff bit in the middle...

So does this mean that MG effectively have 3 different small block 850 engines? Are they all the same basic engine with small tweaks, or are they actually different engines? Why such large(ish) power/torque differences in what are, ostensibly the same (or very similar) engine?

So does this mean that MG effectively have 3 different small block 850 engines? Are they all the same basic engine with small tweaks, or are they actually different engines? Why such large(ish) power/torque differences in what are, ostensibly the same (or very similar) engine?
I would call it two, the Mk III engine and the V85TT engine (which is considerably different hence the power increase). By their wording, the V7 III (& V9) may go away completely.

Maybe the euro5 is one of the reasons behind this engine upgrade on the V7...? This also means an annual tax increases from 58€ to 129€ here.

Wonder if the prices remain roughly the same, around 8k for the stone and 10k for the special (€).

Have to say, that special looks very nice.

If you look close, there are close wound coils at each end of the spring, not sure if my v7 springs are wound like that.. ill have to go home and look. so the spring is soft at both ends with a stiff bit in the middle...
They are not, and you have the coil winds opposite in your wording. Funny how Guzzi is resorting to 60/70s dirt-bike "technology" for the rear shock geometry. :smirk:
Galluzzi's wording on IG was "The new V7 850 now has much needed updates..."

The local shop told me they quit making the roamer leaving the bobber and quit making the mgx. Thats too bad. I thought the mgx was pretty cool.

Maybe the euro5 is one of the reasons behind this engine upgrade on the V7...? This also means an annual tax increases from 58€ to 129€ here. Wonder if the prices remain roughly the same, around 8k for the stone and 10k for the special (€).
No, the Mk III motor was designed to far exceed Euro5. On pure displacement, I would expect to see a cost increase. I imagine they may sell NOS V7 Mk III still.

The local shop told me they quit making the roamer leaving the bobber and quit making the mgx. Thats too bad. I thought the mgx was pretty cool.
Per above, I expect to see the V9B go away as well, as it was a sales flop/failure in large.
The MGX was over-priced and a bit of an ill-handling beast for the otherwise solid 1400... as the Registry shows; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/cal1400-registry-pics-thread-add-your-bike.11538/ -- most of the MGX purchases were fire-sale pricing, at least all of the ones I am aware of. I was one who signed up for early purchase when it was announced, but the OTD pricing far exceeded US$25k, which I would be quite upset had I spent that.

Per above, I expect to see the V9B go away as well, as it was a sales flop/failure in large.

I do not doubt you, but i have to ask why you think the V9 flopped. Was it based on price point in the market (as i would assume).
and if so, is placing the V9 engine into the V7 family going to create the same issue ?
This WILL raise the price of the new V7 and performance numbers are still coming from an air cooled twin. and the standard market seems to be getting more and more options...

I do not doubt you, but i have to ask why you think the V9 flopped. Was it based on price point in the market (as i would assume). and if so, is placing the V9 engine into the V7 family going to create the same issue ?
No offense to those that own them, for me (and I did own one that I V7-ized); Styling, small fuel tank, lazy engine, odd wheel sizes/handling, and terrible seat/peg placement. The engine is from the V85TT, not the V9. If you haven't ridden a V85 yet, you'll understand the minute you do. With little debate, this makes my 820cc kit a bargain (for all those that own one now), if the MSRP for the new V7-850 is over or near US$10990 for the base Stone as I expect it to be. If it's less, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I would call it two, the Mk III engine and the V85TT engine (which is considerably different hence the power increase). By their wording, the V7 III (& V9) may go away completely.

My guess is, V7III and V9 will go away as soon as stock is depleted... whenever that happens to be. I'd be surprised if they hadn't already stopped production of those models some time ago.

__Jason

I don't get why it's quoted as having 65 bhp when the V85 has 70 something.
It doesn't, see the dyno charts. This is the same engine as the V85TT...

I like it and it looks like Moto Guzzi is moving in the right direction. Not far enough in the right direction to sway me from my current V9/7 conversion though. Actually the new V7 850 looks like it’s just a factory V9/7 conversion, with the V9 engine not the V85. I’m looking forward to what else they are doing with the 853cc engine.
I can promise you it's the V85TT engine. A simple timing chest cover swap is all that's needed on the engine. The wider swingarm/wheel from the V9 was added finally. Wish they had just used the V85TT mono-shock set up... though visually I can understand why they didn't.

Maybe the euro5 is one of the reasons behind this engine upgrade on the V7...? This also means an annual tax increases from 58€ to 129€ here.

Wonder if the prices remain roughly the same, around 8k for the stone and 10k for the special (€).

Have to say, that special looks very nice.

Are you talking about the tax disc cost which equates to North American tag or plate fees ?
It doubles when you go from 750 to 850 wow !

Back