• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New V7/85 65hp for 2021

Difficult to find, but I did some digging. It's the same it looks like; Single 38 mm Marelli throttle body vs. the V85TT's 52mm throttle body/7SM2 ECU. Not a feasible swap either as the MIUG3 is ECU & TB combined as most here should know. Very unfortunate.
I jumped through the hoops on their new (corny) web page for the V7-850 PDF; motoguzzi.com/us_EN/models/v7/ -- Attached/below.
Pretty insulting to the historic nod for the model though. Wish they'd stop it.
The ECU is the Marelli MIU G4. This snapshot is from the service manual. The same ECU is listed in the owner's manual which also specs the diameter at 38mm.

ECU%20info-L.jpg

Last edited:
The III is way smoother than the 2015 V7, the V85 is way smoother yet! It makes sense to me (yes I know that's a stupid statement) that the lower HP V7-850 should be at least as smooth as the V85.
Having ridden both the V85TT is smoother. I think it has to do with more frame mass etc., It's a very similar situation to BMW's GS vs the R NineT models which have vastly different frames and overall weight, but the same engine.

The whole attraction of the roamer for me was it resembled the standard style bikes of late 70's early 80's I remember. I looked at the CB1100 and the Z900RS and was leaning towards the Z900RS until I remembered what I don't like about inline 4's. The vibration/buzziness.

So now I was back to a twin or a triumph triple. I found the roamer that looked like a good canvas to recreate that standard style I was looking for and most of the look was there. Plus I get the Guzzi V twin which I had always admired along with the boxer twin. I looked at BMW but the roamer really had the look and I felt it was something that would be fairly easy for me to work on...

I don't care that it only has 55 hp. It is torquey enough for crusing around backroads which is what I do with it. My only complaint is the noisy trans most loudest in 3rd. Ireally like the sound, my bike came with mistrals.

The local shop said poor sales is why Guzzi is dropping the roamer and mgx. I wasn't going for the bobber look so the V9B wasn't for me.

I didn't buy the roamer new, so didn't help with sales. There just wasn't enough of a market guys like me who wanted a bike with the vintage standard style look. The new motor in the V7 will inject some power in to it and that has to be a good thing.

My rule of thumb has been 75hp is adequate, 100 is entertaining then you get up into bikes like the 2008 Aprilia Tuono I had and you get into thrilling. So the 55hp of the Roamer is okay for what I use it for.
I have a Z900RS, it's extremely smooth. They put a counter balancer in that engine and tuned the bars with weights etc. and it doesn't have that super buzzy feeling like most inline 4s, which I hate.

I love Triumph's triples, excellent engines. I just traded my 2002 Speed Triple 955i for a V7 850 Special. The Speedy was a great bike to ride but my creeky knees & hips don't conform to the footpeg placement very well any more. I bought the Z900RS to replace it, far more comfy, about the same power and handling, with better brakes and nice retro styling. But I hung on to the Speedy for awhile not sure what to do. When Guzzi offered a $750 credit on a used bike trade-in, on top of whatever the dealer gave for the bike, well I knew what to do.

Well covered in this thread, start here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v85-tt-info.17940/page-4#post-141700

As a recap for this thread...
The V85 engine is an air-cooled transverse 90° V twin with OHV distribution and two valves per cylinder. Engine capacity is 853cc and can boast an output ratio of almost 100 HP/liter while delivering 80 HP and 59 ft-lbs of torque at 5,000 rpm (power @ crankshaft, not rear wheel), with 90% of the torque already available at 3,750 rpm. Part of the power increase is via new MM 7SM ECU/EFI w/52mm throttle body, with multimap Ride-by-Wire throttle control. This is the first Moto Guzzi small block engine that can easily reach 8,000 rpm.
What do you think the V7 850 redline can eventually be safely adjusted to, possibly 8,000 rpm? According to the manual it's currently factory rev limited to 7,200 rpm. It sure could use a little higher redline if it was safe and still making power up there. 8,000 would be just about right I think.

What do you think the V7 850 redline can eventually be safely adjusted to, possibly 8,000 rpm? According to the manual it's currently factory rev limited to 7,200 rpm. It sure could use a little higher redline if it was safe and still making power up there. 8,000 would be just about right I think.

You can't change the rev limit. The only thing you can change is the shift warning light on the dash, which have nothing to do with the actual operation of the rev limit. You can turn the dash light off entirely if you like - the rev limit will still be in place.

__Jason

I'll have to get one on my dyno to answer that Dan. I can raise it, but my guess is that it will not be making any power up there. The dyno on the V85TT is here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/gtm-v85tt-exhaust-now-with-dyno-run.19804/ - it's done ~7600 RPM.

I'll have to get one on my dyno to answer that Dan. I can raise it, but my guess is that it will not be making any power up there. The dyno on the V85TT is here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/gtm-v85tt-exhaust-now-with-dyno-run.19804/ - it's done ~7600 RPM.
Yup, understood. And with the 38mm TB it might start to taper off earlier, though riding it, it seems like it likes to rev.

Thanks for the feedback. It will be interesting to see what you discover once you get an 850 on the dyno.

These are the dyno charts Mistral posted which shows a pretty strong taper off at the top end after 7,000.

It would be nice to fill in that power dip at ~4,000 rpm, I suspect it's possible.

mgh-v7850short-p_03-L.jpg

mgh-v7850short-p_04-L.jpg

Last edited:
Yup, understood. And with the 38mm TB it might start to taper off earlier, though riding it, it seems like it likes to rev.
Thanks for the feedback. It will be interesting to see what you discover once you get an 850 on the dyno.
These are the dyno charts Mistral posted which shows a pretty strong taper off at the top end after 7,000.
It would be nice to fill in that power dip at ~4,000 rpm, I suspect it's possible.
Yes, welcome.
Looks like it starts to fall off ~6300 RPM. The 38 TB is the limiting factor for power period.
I'm positive the dip can be filled in with a full system and corrected fueling.

mgh-v7850short-p_03-L.jpg

mgh-v7850short-p_04-L.jpg

If a tune becomes avialable to fix that power torque dip at 4k rpm that would be great and to make it where these bikes dont run so lean. The 2021 runs obviously lean from the factory. Need a tune to run the exhaust I want on this bike.

Okay, I have a v7 iii and really like the idea of the 850, but was disappointed to see it has the smaller throttle body etc so not the beans that the 850 TT has.

I have this sneaking suspicion that the moment I trade in they will announce an 850 v7/le-man’s/roadster style bike with the full power unit. I’m pretty sure the guzzi marketing people are thinking along these lines…

Just a thought…

Okay, I have a v7 iii and really like the idea of the 850, but was disappointed to see it has the smaller throttle body etc so not the beans that the 850 TT has.

I have this sneaking suspicion that the moment I trade in they will announce an 850 v7/le-man’s/roadster style bike with the full power unit. I’m pretty sure the guzzi marketing people are thinking along these lines…

Just a thought…
how hard would it be to just add a larger throttle body? The bike is better than it was in the v7 iii, but still could use more power or at least better fueling, not so lean. After owning the bike for going on 4000 miles, the 2021 v7 stone 850, it rides good, but feels choked, short of breath when pushing it more. The fueling has hiccups too at low throttle low rpm under 5k rpm when just cruising.

Don't hold your breath. ;)
how hard would it be to just add a larger throttle body?
Who? Guzzi? Either way, extremely complex as the large ECU on the V85TT uses a lot of real estate and separate physically large throttle body as well. Not saying it can't be done, but for Guzzi would involve a costly change to a model that already sells well. I was hoping they would at least enlarge the (Scooter developed and used) throttle body size on the current ECU/TB combo, but they did not.

how hard would it be to just add a larger throttle body? The bike is better than it was in the v7 iii, but still could use more power or at least better fueling, not so lean. After owning the bike for going on 4000 miles, the 2021 v7 stone 850, it rides good, but feels choked, short of breath when pushing it more. The fueling has hiccups too at low throttle low rpm under 5k rpm when just cruising.

To address that hiccup, take a look at this thread:

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v7-850-evap-and-tip-info.21498/page-2

That hiccup was annoying enough when cruising, but I found it concerning in town; seems like it wanted to hiccup just as I was merging onto the square or making a sharp turn into traffic, the worst time for a bike to hesitate.

Sarah

Don't hold your breath. ;)
Who? Guzzi? Either way, extremely complex as the large ECU on the V85TT uses a lot of real estate and separate physically large throttle body as well. Not saying it can't be done, but for Guzzi would involve a costly change to a model that already sells well. I was hoping they would at least enlarge the (Scooter developed and used) throttle body size on the current ECU/TB combo, but they did not.
Hmm, wondering if this is based on a discussion with a dealer …? Can’t think why they wouldn’t cash in on a new 850 Le Mans or similar, maybe that’s just wishful thinking…

To address that hiccup, take a look at this thread:

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v7-850-evap-and-tip-info.21498/page-2

That hiccup was annoying enough when cruising, but I found it concerning in town; seems like it wanted to hiccup just as I was merging onto the square or making a sharp turn into traffic, the worst time for a bike to hesitate.

Sarah
Yup, after doing the anti-canister work my hiccup is completely gone. It also starts just fine when it's hot.

Hmm, wondering if this is based on a discussion with a dealer …? Can’t think why they wouldn’t cash in on a new 850 Le Mans or similar, maybe that’s just wishful thinking…
Please read the paragraph in red above. Guzzi has been my business since 2007 or so, and I'm deeply rooted in the brand as a whole. Hell, my photo racing the Dondolino below is hanging in the factory in Mandello, and I've spent days with one of the factory test pilots riding in the Alps there.
I agree on the 850 Le Mans, but I think it is/was wishful thinking. I can't comprehend how or why they would miss that opportunity. I was really hoping for a V100 Le Mans.

From the Piaggio/Guzzi Press release...

View attachment 21205
View attachment 21215

INTRODUCING THE NEW V7 850
1_hPLUQIJz2Iz7ltzB_RXS9SgVuBULtpRvlgKVFCvH2gzISCf-4dIsWeNLfunagMLYf8T9pPSMjw=s0-d-e1-ft

More than fifty years after the launch of its first unit, Moto Guzzi is proud to present a new and important evolution in the history of the V7, a prominent symbol of Italian motorbikes around the world.

The revamping is so profound that the progressive numbering in Roman numerals, which had characterized the various evolutions of the model since its return to the market in 2007, is gone. But the character and authenticity remain intact, as these values are destined to last over time and embedded in the genetic code of every Moto Guzzi.

View attachment 21206

Two versions are available: the patriarch, V7 Stone, with its strong and minimalistic style, is joined by the V7 Special, with its classic and elegant lines.

A new Moto Guzzi engine makes its début on the new V7, a close derivative of the one that powers the V85 TT. This is the most recent and modern drive built in Mandello, which guarantees better performance and overall greater efficiency in order to provide maximum riding pleasure, fun and reliability.

It has 25% more maximum power, going from the previous 52 hp at 6200 rpm to the current 65 hp at 6800 rpm. Maximum torque has also increased significantly, going from 44 ft-lbs at 4250 rpm to the outstanding value of 53 ft-lbs at 5000 rpm, with more than 80% of the torque already available at 3000 rpm.

View attachment 21207

Many new features have been introduced to improve stability and comfort, leaving the proverbial handling of the Moto Guzzi best-seller unaltered.

The frame has been evolved with the addition of steel elements in the headstock area, whereas the new pair of shock absorbers with greater travel and the new, two-tier saddle ensure greater comfort. With this same goal in mind, brand new rider footpeg support are used.

Moto Guzzi V7 Stone has the new, full LED light system with the headlight that includes a DRL in the shape of the Moto Guzzi Eagle, whereas the new instrument cluster is perfectly in line with the look of a minimalist motorcycle, entirely digital on a single, circular dial. The aluminum wheel rims, in the sporty style that equips the Stone, are also new; the rear rim is shod with a wider 150/70 tire.

Discover more at MotoGuzzi.com
Hello ; my brother and I just purchased today; two of the 2021 V7 Specials a blue and silver one; we both really like the classic styling ; and improvements should also add to our experience

Back