• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Vibration in My Left Footpeg

mojohand

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Near the end of a 3000-mile trip, and I jsut encountered a new vibration in my left footbeg. Feels like intermittent fibrilating. Checked for loose stuff--the gear shift feels a little loose, but so does the rear brake pedal...thinking that's normal. A bit paranoid about CARC and wheel bearings and other such.

Anyway, since my center stand is broken (another, previous thread), any ideas on what to check?

Thanks Graham & Ed.

More detail--it's not constant...it seems to increase with RPM, maybe? Dunno. Thought maybe it was related to the broken center stand (the deploying lever broke off), but it seems solidly on. The side stand's front bolt is tight, but maybe the rearward came loose Will check it in the a.m.

Best!

When I switched out my Norge's stock foot pegs with those from a Goldwing, I discovered that the side stand then made contact with the new left peg and I could feel a lot of vibration being transmitted from the engine mounted side stand to that peg. Once I welded some extra metal, just a dab, to the side stand mount, which prevented the side stand from fully retracting, it no longer made contact with the new peg, and I had no more vibration felt.

Did you change out the pegs or is something that is connected to the engine making contact with the left peg? Since you no longer have a usable center stand, have someone hold the bike while you check.

My wife complaints about vibration in the left passenger footpeg. Could it be from a muffler, which is mounted nearby?

3ackok wrote:
My wife complaints about vibration in the left passenger footpeg. Could it be from a muffler, which is mounted nearby?
I got the same comment from mine last week too. The exhaust is mounted on the pillion footpeg casting.

Maybe a clue there. Both rider and pillion rests are mounted on that side plate along with the muffler. Maybe check the muffler mount and the side plate itself.

For my wife to complain it must have been quite bad, but at the same time, I noticed nothing.

I was toying with the idea of rubber bushes to mount the exhaust (a la Commando?)

I've started to notice a similar vibration on my Breva. I'm blaming it on the sidestand which has some play in the pivot "bearing", allowing it to intermittently touch the left hand footrest. If I press hard on the footrest, the vibration gets worse, and if I lift the footrest up slightly, it disappears.

I'm planning to bush the pivot to reduce the play, or if this doesn't work out, I'll grind a little bit off the bottom of the sidestand so that it can't touch the footrest.

Yours may be a similar situation. Might be worth a look.

I went through this same scare a while ago. In my case I checked stuff I was going to do anyway in prep for a trip, checked valves, TPS,tb balance, then motor mounts etc. I always had bike on centerstand. Well duh, I'm a idiot, centerstand was loose and tapping exhaust intermitently. I tightened stand, lubed springs and anything else I could find. Never had the problem again. You say your center stand is broken. Remove it or replace it. Just an idea.

I'm thinking the center stand is the culprit. Happens around 5K RPM. I'm taking it to Steelhorse Classics this week in hopes that the center stand replacement will be in soon.

Well, my vibration in the left hand footpeg is cured! As suspected, the culprit was the sidestand, vibrating against it. I just skimmed the edge of the sidestand foot with a cut-off wheel, removing about 2-3 mm. Sidestand cannot hit the footpeg now, no matter how hard I try. And the vibrations are gone!

Too bad it happened at the end of a 4,000 mile ride, and not the beginning. Might have to go and do it again!

I find this hard to understand. The sidestand on my Norge is at least a couple of inches away from the footpeg, no way it could ever touch. I thought the Breva was the same in essence.

Brian UK wrote:
I find this hard to understand. The sidestand on my Norge is at least a couple of inches away from the footpeg, no way it could ever touch. I thought the Breva was the same in essence.

Two types of sidestand, Brian. This is the USA version, much more substantial than the rest of the world.

Back