• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Newb Intro and Laminar Lip

dugkim

Just got it firing!
Hello everyone! New 2009 Stelvio 1200 4V owner here. Pretty excited about the bike and have lurked here for some time. Looking forward to getting to know those on this forum, which looks top notch. I traded my '04 Aprilia Futura for the Stelvio, from owner bobw.

I am 6-4 and have tried all available OEM configurations with the windscreen and seat height adjustability, but still get some turbulence/buffeting. In researching here, people either cut the screen down or opt for the Givi larger screen. I had fitted a Laminar Lip to my Futura with great success and reached out to the today to see if they are planning on making a lip for the Stelvio. I got this response from them minutes after I hit "send":

-------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2011 1:59 PM
To: Douglas Ryan
Subject: Re: Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 4V

Ok, volunteer someone to ride a Stelvio over to Southern California so we can fit something onto it (or manufacture a new piece specifically for it). Perhaps during their lunch break :p

Or, in lieu of having the bike here, send us the stock shield. Just insure it for it's amount and let us know what that amount is so we can do the same on the return trip.

Safe and pleasant rides,
Leo

----------------------------------------

So any Stelvio riders in Orange County or Los Angeles County willing to serve as test bike for a Stelvio solution?

Also, has anyone tried adding washers (nylon or rubber) to either the top or bottom two attachment points to change the angle of the shield? I may start here. If there's a thread I am missing where this is discussed, please shoot me the link.

Looking forward to getting to know folks here and certainly contributing where I can.
Doug

I am 6-3 and have the standard screen with the MRA windscreen spoiler. This is incredibly effective. They don't list one for the stelvio but the DL1000 suzuki v-strom one fits reasonably well. They only come tinted though so I have cut a replacement spoiler out of polycarbonate. Hope this helps. Cheers, Peter

I'm willing, just as soon as my Stelvio's back on the road (wish I had it today -- it's cooolllllld). Santa Ana is about an hour away.

Hi, I've got the Givi screen and the clear MRA spoiler (they come in tint or clear in Europe). What a difference, much less buffeting and wind noise. Not a 100% cure but more than acceptable. For comparison I'm 6'2" and have the seat in the highest position and the screen has about 3/4 of an inch to go before it's fully up. Surprisingly stable and windblast free at 120+.

No, not KM's... :p

I'm 6'2" and have cut about 6" off my screen, I tried the Givi and didn't like it so went down that route. The screen looks neet and I get as near as damn no wind buffeting whatsoever

P1000884.jpg

To be fair I did it an inch at a time until it became acceptable.

May seem radical but is very effective

Ian

I'm 5'9" and I have a lot of buffeting as well - have the GIVI screen which is better than stock but still have the buffeting or high wind noise depending on the height setting (noisy when the screen set low with less buffeting or more buffeting and less noise when the screen is up high)

I may give the cut down trick a try but the stock screen is lower than the GIVI so not sure that would help much, the add on spoiler may be the way to go or it may come with the territory - buy an ST 1300 if you want a nice quiet and still ride!? I'll stick with the Stelvio....

6'3" here.
I'm pretty happy with the Givi shield as is.

I had a Laminar lip on my 2004 EV windshield. Last fall, on a trip through Florida it came loose. It is laying along the road near Panama City. It was a waste of money on that bike.

FWIW....there are several variables along with the shield, including your reach to the bars, your helmet, whether you where earplugs or not, your arse to your head measurement...

On the helmet front...I've worn Arai for years and years. After a slide at the track, I needed a new lid and went with a new Shoei RF1100. It's SO quiet comparatively, that I forgot to put ear plugs in the other day (always ride with them) and I didn't notice the noise until well into the ride.

I also notice that the better aerodynamic shape made a big difference in the flow as well!

IBA 270 said:
FWIW....there are several variables along with the shield, including your reach to the bars, your helmet, whether you where earplugs or not, your arse to your head measurement...

You are completely correct, the variables are staggering. One persons dream solution may not work for anyone else. Also one persons tolerance of turbulance will vary dramatically from anothers. The only way is to try it yourself.

5' 11" here. The Givi screen has been working well for me. A bit of buffeting but I find it depends on which direction the wind is coming from (along with all the other variables folks have mentioned here). I do have a RF1100 and not only forget to put in earplugs on occasion, I forget to put the visor down!

Until a bug makes it over the screen and drops into range :).

Big E said:
I'm 6'2" and have cut about 6" off my screen, I tried the Givi and didn't like it so went down that route. The screen looks neet and I get as near as damn no wind buffeting whatsoever

P1000884.jpg

To be fair I did it an inch at a time until it became acceptable.

May seem radical but is very effective

Ian

Ian,
The bike looks really good with the low screen. I'm 6ft and have the seat on high to reduce the knee bend and I have the Givi screen on full height an can ride visor up at speed, so the set up is vey screen 'heavy'

How does the short screen perform, assume you get the wind blast but your head is well above the turbulance? What about bugs and rain, how does the screen perform with these 2 occupational hazards?
Do you ride with a pillion, if so any impact on them?

What did you cut and finish the screen with?

I too tried the Givi, didn't like it so it's tucked away in a cupboard.

The cut down screen offers me very little windblast whatsoever, bugs don't seem a problem, I usually ride with my visor up and the Mrs hasn't noticed any difference but behind my bulky (fat) torso that's not surprising.

It's like most things, you've just got to try it. You could get a piece of 3mm ply and cut a template to see if improves things and then if it does then cut the screen down to match (Don't blame me tho if it doesn't work for you)

The screen was cut using a small bandsaw then finished with a fine wet'n' dry.

Cheers

Ian

Having tried all OEM configurations involving seat height and stock windshield adjustment, I thought that I would try shimming out the two bottom bolts and then shimming out the two top bolts. What I found was that shimming out the bottom two bolts approximately 1 inch drops the air onto my chest and shoulders, leaving the clean air around my helmet. This will work perfectly for the warm weather riding. Additionally, on Sunday I rode a buddy's Stelvio with the larger Givi shield. It too worked perfectly and will be a great solution for the colder weather riding. I think problem solved and withing cutting the OEM windshield.

IMAG0333.jpg

IMAG0329.jpg

dugkim said:
Having tried all OEM configurations involving seat height and stock windshield adjustment, I thought that I would try shimming out the two bottom bolts and then shimming out the two top bolts. What I found was that shimming out the bottom two bolts approximately 1 inch drops the air onto my chest and shoulders, leaving the clean air around my helmet. This will work perfectly for the warm weather riding. Additionally, on Sunday I rode a buddy's Stelvio with the larger Givi shield. It too worked perfectly and will be a great solution for the colder weather riding. I think problem solved and withing cutting the OEM windshield.

IMAG0333.jpg

IMAG0329.jpg

I think (could be wrong) that by spacing out the windshield from the faring of the bike, more air is getting behind the windshield equalizing the air pressure giving you less buffeting.

I know when I open the vent on my GTR or old Goldwing windshields the buffeting disappeared.

The same holds ture with my California Scientific Windshield on my Stelvio.

Wayne Orwig said:
6'3" here.
I'm pretty happy with the Givi shield as is.

I had a Laminar lip on my 2004 EV windshield. Last fall, on a trip through Florida it came loose. It is laying along the road near Panama City. It was a waste of money on that bike.
Same here, was on a trip with my wife through the Adirondacks and whoosh off it went, just about took her head off only to be run over by a dually hauling a fifth wheel. You have to keep an eye on the dual lock tape cause after a while the foam that it attached too degrades and calls it quits. Get the MRA spoiler, just about the same price and is fixed to the windscreen and can be adjusted to accomodate your preferences.

Cheers

Back