• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Newbie Help! V7 Clip On Advice / Guide?

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
With that said, I bought a V7 III 2017 Stone and I'm looking into switching out the handlebars to clip ons, but when I start to research what to do, I feel like I'm at a lose of what I need to purchase to do this correctly. Is there a guide or a post of what I need or where to get started?
Well, howdy and welcome to the GT Forum & Guzzi Famiglia! Hope you'll add your info to the Registry here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v7-registry-picture-thread-add-your-bike.9108/

Also, you are super close to my shop in Orange; https://gtmotocycles.com/pages/service -- happy to be of help. We are affordable and simply one of the best in the U.S. for Guzzi Service, and tops in mods.

Clip-ons can get complex fast. I happen to have a V7 III Stone in the shop right now with clip-ons. It's really a user preference, and rearsets; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gt-v7-iii-sato-rear-sets (to me) feel the most natural (I'm ~6'-0"). You can swap to the Racer cables, only the clutch is needed in our experience. That said, a lot of people are quite happy with these bars; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/lsl-7-8-speed-brooks-bar -- puts you very similar to the Racer, with no issues other than it is best to use the Racer clutch cable as the angle off of the clutch perch from the Stone/Special etc is not ideal. Also, with most clips-ons, you'll have to steady and unweight front the bike to slide the forks down, unless the clip-ons are of a hinged design (rare for the 40mm fork size) for installation. All said, I'm happy to be of help and/or get you all of the correct parts as needed.

Feel free to write me direct email; Info at GuzziTech.com

Hope to meet you soon, and check in on the small block ride thread in this section as well.

Post often.

Advance warning, I'm brand new to any mechanics and motorcycles in general, but I've always wanted to start doing my own mods and maintenance myself so i'm more intimate with my new motorcycle. So figure I start small on an easy mod, and clip ons "seems" easy enough (hopefully haha).

With that said, I bought a V7 III 2017 Stone and I'm looking into switching out the handlebars to clip ons, but when I start to research what to do, I feel like I'm at a lose of what I need to purchase to do this correctly. Is there a guide or a post of what I need or where to get started? Do I just buy any clip ons and it should work, do I modify the cables shorter since the handle bars are lower or do i have to buy new cables and install those too, or is there any warnings or things i need to look into / research to learn how to do this?

Bonus question! What's everyone opinion on switching to clip ons, its it best to switch the foot pegs to offset backwards to feel more comfortable when leaning forward more, or is the standard location for the foot pegs doesn't feel awful when leaning forward on clip ons?

Well, howdy and welcome to the GT Forum & Guzzi Famiglia! Hope you'll add your info to the Registry here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v7-registry-picture-thread-add-your-bike.9108/

Also, you are super close to my shop in Orange; https://gtmotocycles.com/pages/service -- happy to be of help. We are affordable and simply one of the best in the U.S. for Guzzi Service, and tops in mods.

Clip-ons can get complex fast. I happen to have a V7 III Stone in the shop right now with clip-ons. It's really a user preference, and rearsets; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gt-v7-iii-sato-rear-sets (to me) feel the most natural (I'm ~6'-0"). No one makes shorter cables, so you have to get creative with the routing. That said, a lot of people are quite happy with these bars; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/lsl-7-8-speed-brooks-bar -- puts you very similar to the Racer, with no issues on the cable length and/or routing. Also, with most clips-ons, you'll have to steady and unweight front the bike to slide the forks down, unless the clip-ons are of a hinged design (rare for the 40mm fork size) for installation. All said, I'm happy to be of help and/or get you all of the correct parts as needed.

Feel free to write me direct email; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Hope to meet you soon, and check in on the small block ride thread in this section as well.

Post often.
Thanks Todd for the quick reply!

I really like those Sato rear sets, I'm also very close to six foot. Which offset option felt best for you in your opinion?

For the clip-ons, I like the look of the clip-ons that don't have the bar running through at the top. I had a hard time following what you meant by "you'll have to steady and unweight front the bike to slide the forks down," can you explain that further? By hinge design clip-ons, is that like risers?

Thanks Todd for the quick reply!
I really like those Sato rear sets, I'm also very close to six foot. Which offset option felt best for you in your opinion?
For the clip-ons, I like the look of the clip-ons that don't have the bar running through at the top. I had a hard time following what you meant by "you'll have to steady and unweight front the bike to slide the forks down," can you explain that further? By hinge design clip-ons, is that like risers?
Welcome.

Offset for the rearsets? Out of the box were very good on the one I've done at my shop (not my bike).

Unless the clip-ons are of the design like shown below or two piece (either are nearly impossible to find in 40mm too BTW), you have to remove the forks partially to get the unhinged/regular ones on. It's not easy and a bit precarious unless you are set up to do it (lift or wheel chock, center-stand etc.). Honestly, it's quickest and easiest to have it done at my shop unless you really want to attempt it yourself. I've seen many people do more damage than good when trying it as a newbie.
Additionally, know you'll have the two big holes in your top triple tree clamp once the risers are removed. I'll try to snap and post a photo tomorrow when I am at my shop. From here, email is best for me; Todd at GuzziTech.com -- I don't often catch every post here. Hope you'll add your bike to the Registry. Enjoy it.

HingedClipOns

Additionally, know you'll have the two big holes in your top triple tree clamp once the risers are removed.
Pic below. If you don't like this, the Racer "keyguard" can be added as also shown below.

7151FE44 350C 420B BC88 3F709F5CA554

V7racer key speedo

Pic below. If you don't like this, the Racer "keyguard" can be added as also shown below.

View attachment 16612

View attachment 16613

Hi @GTM®,
I am in the middle of converting my V7 850 2022 from normal naked handlebars to clip on bars. Can you please tell me if the racer clutch cable / throttle cables / front brake line are a direct swap between V7 III and V7 850?

The green V7 in the attached picture looks so tidy!

This is not where you ask GTM questions.

It is impossible for Todd to monitor every thread and every post.

Go to the STORE tab, then click on the left top lines and select CONTACT, and follow the instructions regarding pre-purchase information.

This is not where you ask GTM questions.

It is impossible for Todd to monitor every thread and every post.

Go to the STORE tab, then click on the left top lines and select CONTACT, and follow the instructions regarding pre-purchase information.

Hey, Scott!! Thank you for your reply! I asked here because the thread was already created and the subject was on. Sorry If I've created any incovenience, still getting used to forum.

The not so good part is that I am unable to buy from GTM, even tho I'd love to, because I am located in Europe, and the taxes for anything imported from outside the EU are crazy high.

It seems that all the good stuff and quality knowledge when it comes to automotive is located in US. Sometimes I hate Europe...

I understand. You are fine. This is a good place to start. It’s just you specifically called out Todd (GTM) and I can tell you that you may not get a response most likely this way.

People like to think that Todd sees everything which he cannot.

Also, he cannot answer every question asked if him, especially if it doesn’t involve a purchase of something from him as he is a businessman too and has expenses to meet and needs to remain profitable. He would spend all day every day just answering questions!

Hopefully, somebody who has done what you are looking to do, will chime in.

I just get frustrated when people think Todd or anybody else here, is just a free resource to fire whatever questions they have and then they actually get mad or miffed when they don’t get an immediate response to their wants. If it’s regarding products Todd sells, then he has asked hundreds of times for people to follow the instructions I sent you earlier. That’s all.

Good Luck!

One suggestion…

Check the parts numbers in the 2 models. If they use the same part number, then you have your answer.

The online parts book is available for free at AF1 Racing’s website.

Last edited:
Back