• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Newbie with 2001 California jackal

Christopher gonzalez

Just got it firing!
my father passed away and left me his 2001 California jackal the bike has been sitting up for awhile but I'm not sure if I should sell it or re build. Tried to start it today but sounds like starter is out if anyone could help me figure out what's wrong with it if greatly appreciate it thank you in advance

It may just need a battery. Sometimes with a completely flat battery even a jump start won't work. What work will it need? It could be less than a rebuild.

Well honestly I don't know last time I rode it everything worked fine. But the battery was completely dead I could hear the starter trying to do something but maybe it just didn't have enough juice to crank. I put it in gear and pushed the bike around and the rear tire rolled so I don't think the engine is seized up

The battery might recover with a trickle charge. Do not use a car charger as the charge rate is too high. If a battery charge doesn't work, you will need to replace the battery.

So to start with this... do you want to keep it for sentimental reasons and ride it? If not, sell it. If you want to keep it, this is what it will take to resurrect if it has sat at all; New battery, drain all fluids including the fuel tank and insure it is clean, same with the fuel lines, filter and check the fuel pump to insure it is 100%. If it makes any loud noises when you turn it on, replace it. Lastly, pull and send the injectors to a company such as RCEng.com.
Hope that helps, and good luck with everything.
Love to get the bike info for the Registry; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/cal-1100-registry-and-pic-thread.12601/

Like John & Todd said & I'll just add that if the bike has under 50,000 miles you will have a machine that will give years of good service.

Thank you everyone. Part of me does want to keep it because it does have a lot of sentimental value. I just don't know much about these bikes. I'd love to keep it and make it a cafe racer style I've seen some really beautiful guzzis turned into cafe racer just don't know how to find the tank etc. or where to find parts and stuff like that but it actually has a little bit over 18k miles

With 18k miles, your bike is not totally broken in yet. My 2000 Jackal gets better and better with every 10k miles I put on it. I'm at 43k now and it runs better than ever.

Obviously, I think you should keep it.

You could also look into MPH Cycles (16510 Park Row, Houston, 77084), as they are your nearest dealer. Really good folks as well.

If there's anything I can help you with, send me a PM on this forum and we can hook up.

-Jack (in Bastrop)

Sweet! Wow thank you so much jack really means a lot I'll definitely have to get with you, I think that just made my decision in keeping it. My father loved this bike. I'm just going to keep it and hopefully one day give it to my son. How are parts for these things? Pretty expensive? Hard to find?

Your Dad had good tastes in motorcycles.
@profwacko, MPH is no longer a dealer, but they still will work on Guzzis of course.
Christopher, the Guzzi community is generally a very tiny and solid group.
Parts are pretty easy, I have a handful of things in my online Store linked above, or there's MGCycle.com or for a great online dealer; AF1Racing.com in Austin.
Café projects are really intensive with money and VERY time consuming. Most never finish them even with the best intentions.
I say get it running, and enjoy it. Your Dad will be smiling down.

So glad you are keeping it! The Jackal is a great bike & very versatile.

Post some pics when you get a chance mine is a silver one.
If I ever get another shop built then I want to build a set of removable hard bags & Jackal will become Jake my camping mule.
I have gone off road with Jake a number of times & he does real good on dirt roads.
I don't ride it like a dirt bike just go slow & easy. There is a lot of National Forest land to explore in this country & what better way to see it than on an old Guzzi Mule.
IMG 0962

There's shine under there & it will come pretty.
Hope you will keep posting with your progress.

Great bike. Freshen the tires and fluids, tune it and run that baby. Those sleds last a long time and will give you a great ride as is. Your bike do as you wish, but I wouldn't change it. Your dad's bike, don't sell.

Back