Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Newby here.

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Yukon42, Feb 22, 2021 at 3:13 PM.

1. Yukon42

Yukon42 Just got it firing!

Been thinking really hard about obtaining a V85TT Adventure as it has many things I want in an Adventure bike. However, after reviewing this forum and finding that many of you V85TT owners have fueling problems causing the engine to overheat; I am beginning to rethink the possibility of ownership. I live in Las Vegas and have ridden many brands of air cooled motorcycles over the years in 110F heat with no problems; I find the V85TT reports concerning.

I have narrowed the field of Adventure bikes down to the following:

Ducati V4S Multistrada: Demo'd this the other day and can only say WOW! But the price is rather stiff even though you get a lot for your money.

Harley Davidson Pan America: They just released the particulars of this bike so I will have to take a look when they arrive in May and take one for a spin. Price is better than the Ducati, but do I really want to be a Beta tester for a brand new HD engine design?

BMW R1250 GSA: Not much to be said here except that everyone has one; still a bit pricey.

V85TT: I like everything about this bike except the report of bad fueling/overheating. Haven't taken one for a spin yet but I will soon.

I currently have a Ducati 950 Multistrada that I have ridden from Las Vegas to Dawson City in the Yukon Territory (that's way up north for you geographically challenged folks LOL). Not one problem with it. However, I would rather have a shaft drive than a chain drive on a large adventure bike. I believe the shaft is less maintenance and certainly cleaner.

So what say you V85TT Adventure owners? Do any of you love your bike?? I've read the con's, any pro's out there????

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Matthew Nuttall likes this.
  3. Bisbonian

Bisbonian Cruisin' Guzzisti

I think there was one guy who had a bunch of comments on his bike.

Mine doesn't like to sit idling in traffic during 100 degree days but I wouldn't expect it to. As long as I keep moving I've had no problems.

4. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

Ducati: I love Ducatis, but... First non-desmodromic Multistrada. $$$$$. Ask what a service costs, exactly. You will have a stroke.

Harley: Seriously? Two Words. Buell Ulysses. This bike is doomed to failure. Count on it. If you buy it you better plan on keeping it until it dies because resale will be worse than pathetic.

BMW: I love BMW's but... Again, ask what a service costs exactly. After you pick yourself up from the floor, then ask about recalls and rear brakes that leak from the factory. BMW is NOT the same company they once were. They globally source everything now and their quality has gone down the drain. Also, the BMW stands for BRING MORE WALLET. Everything on this motorcycle costs $$$. Everything.

V85TT: A lovely, "Adventure style" motorcycle. Light, agile, fun to drive, excellent acceleration, performance and handling. Everything you can use and nothing superfluous. I have ridden one for quite a few miles, but I don't have one yet, I ride a Stelvio NTX. But in a year or two, the right 1500 mile V85 specimen will come my way and I will grab it.

That's my 2 cents worth...

john zibell and Mayakovski like this.
  5. vagrant

vagrant High Miler

Yukon 42 you are reading something that doesn't exist into the buying decision. This bike fuels as good as anything on the market. It will get hot as any air-cooled sitting at 100+ outside but not riding. And unlike most others, your nuts won't be roasted!

Mayakovski likes this.
  6. Yukon42

Well how come I keep seeing people complaining about the CEL light illuminating due to overheating?

Mayakovski likes this.
  7. Yukon42

Service on the new V4S can't be any worse than a Panigale V4 can it? Certainly the valve adjustment won't be nearly as time consuming as the desmo service. First valve check isn't due till 36000 miles; hell I see people that don't put 36000 miles on their bikes in several years!

Guess you haven't read any of the specs or reviews from people who have ridden the Pan America (there are a few already).

Can't deny that the GS has it's problems I guess; still considered the "gold" standard in the ADV market though.

I almost bought a Stelvio back in 2017, but hearing that MG was cutting that model I decided to go with Ducati 950 Multi. Love the Multi BTW; just not the cost of service! LOL

Looking forward to riding a V85TT and especially a 2021 model with a bit more power and tubeless rims.

8. scottmastrocinque

I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. I haven't read that and I surf the forums on the net daily.

Also, Moto Guzzi has issued 2 recalls on this motorcycle and if there was an issue with overheating, they most certainly would have recalled that too.

Seems to me you are looking for stuff to worry about that you don't need to. My 2 cents.

9. scottmastrocinque

Look,

I don't know what you are seeking here. You already have all of your opinions locked up tight as a drum. Why do you pretend to want input?

You sure make a lot of wrong assumptions.

I read a ton. Daily. I own a motorcycle repair facility and I am a professional mechanic. I also own 8 motorcycles of my own, and I have owned all of the brands you are contemplating and I was the General Sales Manager for 5 years for BMW Motorcycles in San Diego, CA at Brattin Motors.

It's obvious from your comments that you really don't want input and I'm not going to engage you further just so you can argue with somebody.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 8:44 AM
  10. Yukon42

Sorry if I offended you here. I'm not looking to argue with anybody and I do appreciate your input. I'm well aware that most folks who post about their bikes on forums are either seeking information regarding repair or complaining about problems they are having. It was my intent to draw those who have GOOD things to say about their V85TT. I humbly refer you to the last sentence in my original post.

Thank you all, who have responded.

Cheers.

11. scottmastrocinque

All of us who responded have ridden or own the bike. We all told you that it's a great machine.

John Zibel is a Moderator and a Master Mechanic. Vagrant owns both a V7 and a V85. I'm a professional mechanic and I have riden the bike for a day and I own a Stelvio and have owned several BMW GS motorcycles.

Don't know what else to tell you.

Good Luck.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 9:57 PM
    Mayakovski likes this.
  12. Yukon42

Thank you for your reply. I am definitely going to give the V85 a go. Thanks again.

scottmastrocinque likes this.
  13. scottmastrocinque

I think you'll be really happy with it. It's a wonderful motorcycle.