• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

NGK Spark plug caps

mark1960

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I have ordered the NGK spark plug caps to replace the original guzzi items on my Stelvio. Being a novice has anyone made this change and can advise. How difficult is it to get the original boots off ? Thanks in advance

Mark, you can either cut or pull hard and they'll come off the wire with some loose strands exposed. Trim flush again with the end of the wire, and thread on the new boots. I'm keeping a few here these days, already replaced 2 sets on Stelvio' locally.

Thanks. I want to sort out any potential weak spots now rather than when I am out on the road somewhere.

I don't know about the US , but the NGK SB05E plug caps don't seem to be available in Canada. But an SB05EP is , the only difference appears to be the addition of a waterproof sealing cap on top of the plug cap. By the way thanks to Pete for the number. I have ordered two of the EP'S as after adjusting valves ,T/Bs and TPS, I now too have one plug cap repaired with RTV sealant and electrical tape
FBC

mark1960 said:
How difficult is it to get the original boots off ?

They unscrew off of the wire.
I assume the NGKs screw on as they typically do.
I'm sure you need longer wire for them to work. Not sure there is enough wire on the stock system to stretch.

Stock wires fit fine, if just a little snug on the right side cylinder wire.

Also, our Forum friend Mattin posted about the NGK X4K spark plug cable & cap set as shown HERE and below. I'm having a hard time sourcing them here in the States.

Attachments

• NGKLX4K.jpg
    NGKLX4K.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 1,515
  • NGKLX4Kon8V.jpg
    NGKLX4Kon8V.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 1,506
I like the looks of those. I may be interested in a pair if you find a source, even though I already have the good caps.

Aaah! Guess what happened to us last night riding back from Cornwall, heavy rain - went to one pot - I assumed that it was the rain and as soon as we got home exposed the plugs to check the theory, sparking from top of the l/hand cap across to the head, nothing to do with the rain.
I've asked Haywards the question (w/tee etc) as I knew I had seen it as an issue on the forum, I'll let you know what they say.
Ray

Good old Haywards........
Hi Raymond,
This has been known in the past, I will have a set in the post to you this morning.
If this is to happen do not ride it on one cylinder as the cat in the exhaust gets extremely hot and if you have a hugger this can have a bad affect on it.
Hope all is going well and that you are still enjoying the bike.
Regards,
Ed Upward
Service and Parts Manager
Haywards of Cambridge
Huntingdon Road
Cambridge, CB3 0LQ
England
Telephone: 01223 276128
www.haywards.co.uk

I'll let everyone know what they send when they arrive.

Interestingly on this topic I purchased a pair of plug caps 'Just in case' for the US 8VG before I left Oz. Now the last set I bought were in boxes marked SB05E but I didn't actually check the numbering on the caps themselves. When I bought this pair I carefully looked at em when purchasing because the boxes were a bit tatty and the SB05E has a centre ellectrode fitting that is designed for a plug with the wider, screw on, tip. A bit more looking and digging revealed that the CORRECT cap is in fact the SBO5F and checking the caps themselves, (Sorry about that.) shows that these are the ones required for the PBM8R (?) plugs as used in the 8V motors. My apologies for any confussion.

Pete

pete roper said:
Interestingly on this topic I purchased a pair of plug caps 'Just in case' for the US 8VG before I left Oz. Now the last set I bought were in boxes marked SB05E but I didn't actually check the numbering on the caps themselves. When I bought this pair I carefully looked at em when purchasing because the boxes were a bit tatty and the SB05E has a centre ellectrode fitting that is designed for a plug with the wider, screw on, tip. A bit more looking and digging revealed that the CORRECT cap is in fact the SBO5F and checking the caps themselves, (Sorry about that.) shows that these are the ones required for the PBM8R (?) plugs as used in the 8V motors. My apologies for any confussion.

Pete

Pete,

I called NGK USA and according to their Tech dept the SB05E is the correct part number for the 8 valve motor. The reason for this is the stud on the top of the plug is non removable. If the stud was removable and you were using just the threaded part on top of the plug you would use the SB05F.

Todd,

Unless you can find someone in Japan that will export the NGK X4K wire and boot assembly we won't see any in the US anytime soon because they are not imported to the US, no one in Europe will have them either. They do not export the 105 deg plug boot either that is installed on that wire assembly.

I told the fellow that us Guzzi riders in the US would really like that wiring assembly and he made a note to send to the powers to be but said something like this would take a year or better to happen. :roll: :roll: :roll: So if you Google the part number and can read Japenesse you are in better shape than me. BTW, if you are able to get some of these wire sets, I will take 4 total.

I managed to pop out the Guzzi plug caps looping 5 amp wire wrapped around the top of the cap. This is where my nerve went. I examined the caps and could see no splits or cracks. I smeared ACF-50 grease around the spark plug tunnel and soaked the caps themselves in ACF-50 fluid. I'll wait until the next service and get the dealer to change them. I'm doing the RBLR 1000 in 4 days time and I had visions of cocking it up and having a non runner. Quite happy knowing my limitations :D

Replacements turned up from Haywards yesterday, I have a late 2009 and the part number on the one that failed and the replacements sent is 640760. Re comments about resistance these are marked 5000ohms. I'll stay with these and keep the other one sent as a spare on the bike, if it happens again to the replacement I'll go the NGK route.

btw here are the UK part numbers
SB05E 8374 Black 5 kΩ 14mm
SB05E 8511 Red 5 kΩ 14mm

Ray is right. You do need the E suffix not the F ones. As I found out when my warranty replacement caps on my US 8V both went tits a few hours after I started riding it.

Luckily Todd had some replacements!!!

Pete

??? for Todd, Wayne or someone that has changed the OEM for the NGK replacements.

I ordered the NGK SB05E caps. These do not have angled female end like the OEM caps, did I receive the proper set (strait w/no angle)? The NGK caps will require cutting off the threaded connector that the OEM cap and HE lead use for mating the male/female ends, is this correct? Last, but not least, there appears to be no way the wire will be long enough let alone make the bend and fit in the channel on the valve cover. Did finding the extra length require a leap of faith that it will fit or did some fishing uncover some needed slack? I hesitate to cut anything as I am leaving in a couple days for a long trip and I just had a bad cap that required putting the "original" style back on until MG sends new ones. Errors would leave me not starting on time if I cut stuff and then can't make the NGK's fit so I just wanted to double check before I kicked myself in the nuts by buggering my trip with these.

TIA and Cheers

Bob

Bob, the caps and wires fit/work just fine under the cover. The right side is a little snug to the coil, but all is good in the several I've done. Pete was here and left with a set installed on his G8V as well.

Yup. I've not had any problems with either length of the HT leads or the fitment of the caps??? Push 'em on, bend the lead into the valley in the cover, pop on the cover and screw it down. That's all there is to it.

Pete

Thanks for holding my hand :eek: :lol:, but when in doubt, I just wanted to "measure twice" before cutting once.

Cheers

I had to fiddle around a little with one side to find the slack, but it wasn't an issue, the wire was just wrapped around something. There should be plenty there.

Back