• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

No fuel in the cylinder

un.romanista

Just got it firing!
Help :(
I am having some problems with my 1974 Nuovo falcone military model.
I brought it over from Italy. It stared on the second kick but it was a bit erratic so I did some adjustments on the carburator and I got it to run smootly. Two days later I tried to start it again with no avail. I took the carb apart and I cleaned it. There are no blckages but I do not get any fuel in the cilynder. The spark plug is always dry.
Does anybody have an idea?
Any help would be appreciated.
thank you
Luigi

Have you tested the fuel line by disconnecting it from the carb and see if you have flow? Try it, then go from there.

Thank you for your reply Rafael. Yes there is a gas flow. Infact the basket were the floats are it gets filled with fuel. I have checked and cleaned all the jets.

Doesn't seem likely that all the jets are clogged after having run normally so recently. What model delorto is it?

Did you try priming the carb by twisting the throttle 3-4 times wait a minute then try to start the bike? Besides cleaning the jets to see if you can get it running, order new ones as well.

Check the filters too.

Hi Rafael thank you for your tips I will try them tomorrow and I will let you know what model of dell'orto I have. After I put togeter the carb I noticed a very small O ring on the table. I cannot figure were it goes. Any ideas?
thank you Luigi

I bet it's the o-ring that goes on the bottom of the enrichening circuit pick up. It seals against the float bowel. Did you try twisting the throttle 3 times. Did you try the choke?

Once you have the carb name you can find a diagram on the DelOrto web site or search the web for one and look for the small o-ring.

The carb model is VHB29A D.
I am going to try and find the part list from Dell'Orto.
The small O ring goes on the "regolatore di miscela minimo" low mixture regulatror after the spring.
Tomorrow morning I will try again to start the beast.
By the way does the neutral indicator light have to be on when kick starting?
thanks again
Luigi

un.romanista said:
By the way does the neutral indicator light have to be on when kick starting?
thanks again
Luigi

Not if you are on the center stand, but it is good practice to make sure the bike is in neutral. The neutral indicator has no function in the ignition/starting circuit.

Hi does anybody know how to check if the inlet valve is stuck closed, because even if I put gas directly into the input manifold the spark plug comes out dry?
Thank you

Doesn't seem likely the valve would have a major failure or the adjuster nut come completely loose without intermittent symptoms. But you can take the valve cover off and rotate the engine to see of intake valve is moving.

Hi
still lost. I removed the valve cover and as you surmised there was nothing wrong with the inlet valve. I guess I will have keep on looking at the carb. It seems that the carb is reversed. I know that this is impossible however with the air filter off the fuel seems to spray toward the outside. I know a little bit about arbs because I also have a 1972 Eldorado, I did a carburators clean up and I got it to start and run smoothly at 1200 rpm. I think this Falcone wants to drive me crazy.
At this point if I were to find a reliable mechanic in the Montreal area I would give in and take it to his shop.
Thank you for listening to my rambling.
Luigi

Well if it's sanity that you want I'll come by and take the bike off your hands. :laugh:

The accel pump discharge on the VHB is not directional like the PHF/Ms. So, that sounds okay to me. Spray? IIRC, the fuel should gush around/with the slide needle as it rises.

Did you check for spark? You might get an Iridium plug after you sort this out, they seem to quicken starting.

Does this bike have an electric starter? I recall it having both, not sure. I'm thinking - if your kicking then the velocity may not be enough to get fuel into the combustion chamber??

Did you prime the carb as I suggested earlier. Waiting a couple of minutes before starting to allow the fuel to atomize and combust more readily.

:D :D :D
Today finally I got some life. It went for about 30 seconds. Maybe it is on its way to recovery. Tomorrow I think it will be the day. This military version has no electric starter. As soon as I get it going stady iI will start researching an electric starter.
Tank you very much for all your help.
Luigi

Well still no go. I now have fuel in the cylinder but I do not seem to have any spark. Last time it started it was back firing like mad. Once in a while I get a big bang but no running.
Help!!!

un.romanista said:
Well still no go. I now have fuel in the cylinder but I do not seem to have any spark. Last time it started it was back firing like mad. Once in a while I get a big bang but no running.
Help!!!

Not having spark is an electrical problem. Look at the tech tab at the top of each page. One section is electrical, and in that are Carl's schematics. You will find this https://www.guzzitech.com/attachments/ ... alcone.gif Pretty simple circuit for the coil. First you have to get spark. Then you need to have the spark at the correct time.

you are looking at a 500 cc single without a accelerator pump , so dont expect a wet plug just by pumping the kickstarter.
these engines should be easy to start.
my 13 year old daughter can kickstart my nuovo falcone. :mrgreen:

first check the wiring , you should measure 12 volts at the points. and at the coil.
check the advance mecanism is still functional . they can seize up.
also check the slide is fitted the right way in, you can actually fit it with the flat part aimimg the airfilter , but it will not run properly.

as for the ignition timing, i use this tool,

p4182210.jpg

thread it into the bolt hole at two o'clock above the flywheel,
it is 100 mm long , if the bottom of the tool aligns with the markings on the flywheel it should produce a spark.

:D Well the Falcone is flying sort of.
Turns out that the problem was the spark plug.
I got the bike to run (still a little erratic).
When I tried to put it in gear I was getting a grating sound so I adjusted the clutch.
This is when I discovered that by putting the clutch too tight I had disabled the kick start mechanism, so I loosened the adjustment and all is well. (It is true a kid could start it). It must be normal to have a little gear grating when shifting the gears, unless there is something else I have to know.
In any case all that is left is fine tuning the carb (maybe I will try to get a carb kit) and reduce to minimum the gear grating when putting the bike into gear. As I said previousely I also have a 72 Eldorado and it did not give me half the problems of the Nuovo Falcone. A piece of advice to anyone doing a carb job, make sure to blow the parts with a strong jet of compressed air.
Thank you for your help.

un.romanista said:
:?: Hi why would this engine back fire? Does anybody have an idea? Thank you

Backfire or exhaust popping? Backfire could be timing or an intake valve not properly adjusted. Popping, excess fuel and exhaust leak.

It seems that the mixture is too rich because there is black smoke coming out of the exausts. I do not seem to be able to get the proper mixture. Any solutions out there? Possibly the jets are finished. Any idea where to get a carb kit?
thank you

Back