• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

No quality control at the Moto Guzzi:

beezer68

Just got it firing!
No quality control at the Moto Guzzi:

I recently purchased a new 2015 V7 Special and observed the following defects in workmanship:

The clutch free play was never initially adjusted by either Moto Guzzi or the dealer. They both made no attempt to inspect and adjust this system. On my ride home from the dealer, the clutch would not fully disengage, which made it impossible to shift into neutral at stop lights. I had to just sit there waiting for the light to change while smelling that burning clutch. When I tried to adjust the free play at the clutch handle it just didn’t feel right. Upon further inspection, I observed a rubber band between the end of the clutch release lever and the neutral switch. I assume this rubber band was installed at the factory as an assembly aid to keep the clutch cable connected. I also assume it was supposed to be removed prior to adjustment, but it never was. Once I cut and removed that rubber band I was able to successfully set the proper clutch free play and no more burning smell.

The throttle free play was also never adjusted by either Moto Guzzi or the dealer. I observed an excessive amount of “slop” at the throttle twist grip. The twist grip would move quite a lot before the throttle would actually open. When I peeled back the rubber covers at the adjusters, I observed that the ferrules and lock nuts were loose; they had never been adjusted. I adjusted both cables and locked the lock nuts, now the throttle works fine.

I did the first (600 mile) service myself. When I removed the valve covers to re-torque the heads I observed swarf between two of the nuts and the sluds. I removed the nuts and removed the swarf. I also observed more bits of metal on both the drain plug magnets.

I observed a leak at the final drive (transmission). I brought this to the attention of the dealer who confirmed the leak. I disassembled the final drive unit expecting to find a damaged seal, but to my surprise I found no seal at all, none, nada, zip. Really, how could Moto Guzzi leave out an oil seal?

The dealer didn’t bother to inflate the tires (front was at 26 psi, rear at 32 psi), or charge up the battery (I left it on a trickle charger all-night), or check the ECU for the latest mapping.

What manufacturer in the 21st century would allow such a piece of shit to leave their factory and bear their name on the side of the gas tank? Answer = Moto Guzzi.

What dealer in the 21st century would sell such a piece of shit? Answer = Elk Grove Power Sports, INC.

Upload 2016 2 21 15 0 16

Upload 2016 2 21 15 1 17

Upload 2016 2 21 15 4 56

Upload 2016 2 21 15 5 21

Upload 2016 2 21 15 5 59

Upload 2016 2 21 15 6 22

your right! been the same for the 45 years I've been buying them. I had an Johnson 35 HP outboard that had no seal in the lower unit and when the dealer did the first service he just ignored the fact that it was pure milk. I took it to another dealer to diagnose it and put a seal in. I have as yet to see a dealer adjust a clutch properly or inflate the tires. set up is a gallon of gas and goodbye. good news is once you do the regulator that is most likely bad it should be good to go for a long time. welcome to Italian bikes. be goad you didn't spend twice as much for a Ducati, KTM, or BMW with the same or similar issues.

PDI has been an ongoing issue with MG dealers. I don't believe one was performed on either of my V7s. Dealers seem to believe that the money they charge is just part of their profit and that they are not required to provide anything in return. Are their profit margins that slim? I don't know.

That doesn't explain the factory quality escapes. They just shouldn't happen.

I feel your pain beezer! I bought a brand new Speed triple back in 2008 and that bike was a piece of crap it had heaps of problems right from the start so no more Triumph for me.
As for the diff well that's just unbelievable Stupid Guzzi!!
I

Purchased my bike at Elk Grove Power Sports and had pretty much the same experience.

Looks to me like you got your bike in better shape then my bike. I've been sorting it out for over a year and have barely made headway. One thing after the next. I've never had this much trouble with any motorcycle. Funny thing about the bike, I love the damn thing. What a blast to ride.

It's back in the shop at this time for maybe the 6th time, this time for overcharging issues. Most often the bike stays in that shop for two or three weeks and then they call me to pick it up....... they most often do nothing at all to the bike.

'They have a can of WD-40 they use over there to spray on anything wrong with the bike, and then call you to come and get it.

When I drop my bike off the other day (Friday/Thursday) some guy was heading out with a V7 in the back of his truck. I wanted to run him down and talk to him. Was that you by any chance? I was the guy with the white Ford Ranger, white V7 in the back?

This really will be a fun bike; once these wrinkles are ironed out. I like the ergonomics; everything feels right where it should be. Plenty of power for me; handles better than I expected, but those mirrors suck. I really can’t wait to see what the next surprise will be. I’ll tell ya, I have been riding-repairing-breaking-crashing-touring motorcycles for over 50 years and I have never seen anything like bits of metal go over looked. I just can’t imagine something so damaging could go over looked. Maybe one of you could explain it to me. In the mean time I will enjoy my other toys. I am learning that Moto Guzzi the image doesn’t really match reality, too bad, it was once one of Europe’s most storied Italian Motorcycle manufacturer.

Most (but not all) of the problems the OP describes are the dealer's failures, not the manufacturer's. Under-inflated tires, mis-adjusted cables, etc., are what dealers get paid to do as the pre-delivery setup. However, there's no accounting for the missing rear end seal, that's a weird one. I've bought both a '13 V7 and a '16 V7II and I could add a few additional issues to your list. However, they were all easy to spot and fix. Once you've "personalized" your bike by doing what the dealer should have done, you will enjoy it immensely.

Most of the stuff all things that you can fix yourself and once you get it iron out it's actually a pretty solid bike.

Thanks for the heads up. Elk Grove is the local dealer for me also.

Nearly four decades ago I bought a new Alfa Spider from the local dealer (Turners). I even purchased the extended warranty. After a dozen or so trips to the Dealer for Warranty I realized that a Dealer that cannot do repairs right the first or second time is pretty much worthless along with my extended warranty.

Then I found a little shop that knew what they were doing and the Alfa sang Arias. I stayed with him as long as I had the car.

I talked to Moto International a couple of weeks ago and they're my first choice for new bike sales.

Still, I bought my Griso used. I can see the value in letting the first owner take the big depreciation hit along with fixing some of the problems. Yes I'm still fixing design/quality control problems on a 8 year old bike but I knew there would be some and the Seller was great.

As to lack of quality control I had a very bad experience with the most expensive Toyota back in '84. I look at "Quality Control" as something that "Marketing" does and sometimes it's more the amount of money spent on Advertising PR than actual Quality Control.

We should, I am just waiting for UPS to bring me some gaskets. (all the OEM parts are easy to get from great folks down in Texas) This really is a fun bike to ride; still looking for that sweet spot in the torque curve, seems to be 4500-5000.

Caveat Emptor! Dealers should be forced to place a sign in their showroom that states that they just want to sell you a bike and never have to work on it! Matthews Fun Machines, Matthews, NC. Sales staff is Dr. Jekyll, the service department is Mr Hyde!

Sorry to say but what everyone is describing is fast becoming the "Normal" instead of the exception.

Poor quality from the factory & inattentive dealers.

Motorcycles are just another business with far too many dealers.

I bought a Victory about 1-1/2 years ago but have had real good service from the dealer on any warranty issue's that have come up & in every case it was a fix it while I wait. There is also a great independent Vic shop that's just : Good, Reliable & Reasonable.

I'm waiting to see what Todd comes up with this year for the "Custom Guzzi" order concept he is working on before buying another bike.

Caveat Emptor! Dealers should be forced to place a sign in their showroom that states that they just want to sell you a bike and never have to work on it! Matthews Fun Machines, Matthews, NC. Sales staff is Dr. Jekyll, the service department is Mr Hyde!

If they posted such a sign, then they couldn't charge you $110/Hr nor rip off MG for warranty work they "performed" !

The automotive industry in general has its flaws. I have never come across one manufacturer (car, boat, motorcycle, etc.) that didn't have its version of headaches, whether it's from the manufacturer itself or the dealer. You could honestly say that about anything if you look hard enough...

The adjustments and a THOROUGH inspection should have been done by the dealer.
This doesn't excuse the manufacturer from missing a part but would have been dealt with before final delivery.
A letter to Moto Guzzi is in order.

The automotive industry in general has its flaws. I have never come across one manufacturer (car, boat, motorcycle, etc.) that didn't have its version of headaches, whether it's from the manufacturer itself or the dealer. You could honestly say that about anything if you look hard enough...

This QC issue is what did the American auto industry in a couple decades ago- Let the vehicle leave the factory with known defects and let the dealers deal with it after the sale. Don't waste time allocating a few employees to fix the issues before it leaves the factory. Once your reputation suffers, it's darn near impossible to get it completely back.

The adjustments and a THOROUGH inspection should have been done by the dealer.
This doesn't excuse the manufacturer from missing a part but would have been dealt with before final delivery.
A letter to Moto Guzzi is in order.

I emailed Customer Care – but got no reply.

I called Customer Care (answering machine) – but got no reply.

I send a copy of my demand letter to Piaggio – but have gotten no reply.

I spoke with the salesman – but he didn’t want to hear anything.

I spoke with the service department – but they didn’t want to hear anything.

I sent a demand letter to the dealership – I did get a reply, but it was not satisfactory to me.

I emailed the Superior Court of California – I got a reply, court date March 29, 2016.

my 13 V7 Special needed some personalization to. It wasn't terrible but I did need to adjust the clutch and throttle cables .
today I replaced the yellowed and swollen half plastic fuel filter and will replace my 15.5 volt regulator next week.
I replaced the rear struts (shock absorbers) at Christmastime
so add $500 to the selling price and you have a decent bike. Probably not "acceptable" to many of today's consumers but my first bike was an Indian and I went to college on a BSA so I'm used to fiddling

Back