Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

No start with an ECU error on the dash

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by grmaster1, Jul 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. grmaster1

grmaster1 Just got it firing!

The dreaded “no start” happened today

For some reason, I’ve been watching the battery voltage for the past three days, and it went down from 14.2v (with high beams and fogs on) to 13.8-9v. That’s the only thing that was off...

Tried to start it, after riding for 30 miles in 30C weather and parking for 5 minutes, heard a cricket-like noise and perceptible buzz, the dash flickered, and nothing.

Once again, the same, with “service” message error and an icon never seen before: “ECU error” with a picture of a plug

One more time, clutch in, side stand up, and it started fine.

Is it that famous “startus interruptus” or?

Any ideas, fellow Stelvio riders?

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Check for corrosion on the battery connecting surfaces. It may look OK, but take the connections off, clean with a mild abrasive to ensure good contact. I've seen this before and that is the fix. If that doesn't do the trick, remove the connectors from the ECU and clean with contact cleaner. This is the one I use https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRC-Contact-Cleaner/999964587

grmaster1 likes this.
  3. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Sounds like the battery is about to fail, unless you find the connections are loose.

grmaster1 likes this.
  4. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque High Miler GT Famiglia

In addition to what John has suggested, I would remove your battery and take it to your local auto parts store. They will have a load-test meter and can check the condition of your battery for free. Your surface voltage may be 13.?+ but when you put a load on it, you may have dead cell(s).

Also, I caution you about repeatedly cranking the bike over with electrical voltage issues. From first hand experience and also helping several others, the stock relays are not very tolerant of low voltage conditions and they will arc out and fuse the contacts. This reveals itself with headlights that no longer come on when running and other such anomalies.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    grmaster1 likes this.
  5. grmaster1

grmaster1 Just got it firing!

Nice suggestion, I will check it out.

I’ve also heard that some people put in second “ground” from the battery and run direct wiring from the battery to the starter “to combat issues” that may arise...

Is that really necessary?

6. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Wire is not direct to starter but to the power side of the starter relay. See https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/modern-no-start-issue-solution.4908/ The yellow wire doesn't always deliver sufficient voltage.

grmaster1 likes this.
  7. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

The other thing to check is the earth to the ECU. If this short wire is not making a good connection to the frame you can get the "unplugged" logo on the dash, and it causes all sorts of problems.

grmaster1 and john zibell like this.
  8. canuck1969

canuck1969 GT Reference GT Contributor

grmaster1 likes this.
  9. Tracey

Tracey Just got it firing! GT Contributor

I had a similar, intermittent problem with my 2014. I checked this forum and double checked everything listed. I also added the extra ground.
    Finally after a road side breakdown because the battery drained itself I found a fuse that had a broken post. It was the main line (40 amp) fuse under the seat. The fuse looked normal until I pulled it. About half of the fuse post was burned and created an intermittent open circuit. I know it's an odd failure but worth a quick check.

grmaster1 likes this.