• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge 1200 8V oil drip & intermittent miss

Guzzi2Go

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Guess I’ll be showing my lack of knowledge again on the N8V but here goes. My new to me N8V has been putting a drop or two of oil on the garage floor, after a long ride, from just in front and to the left of the rear wheel . Looking at the area I’ve found a clear plastic pipe, capped hanging down as well as the area in general is oily and , of course, covered with road dirt sticking to the oil. I’ve heard about a drain tube for the breather box on some models, is that what the tube is?
Next question, just recently, at idle, I will get a random miss fire. Not consistent but it is new. Any suggestions as to things I should be looking into?

That is the drain. Take the cap off and drain it occasionally. Keeping the oil level in the middle rather than at the full line will reduce the amount of oil which collects.
How old are the spark plugs? Are the caps and wires in good shape? A TPS reset and throttle body balance would be a good place to start if not done recently.

That is the drain. Take the cap off and drain it occasionally. Keeping the oil level in the middle rather than at the full line will reduce the amount of oil which collects.
How old are the spark plugs? Are the caps and wires in good shape? A TPS reset and throttle body balance would be a good place to start if not done recently.
Thanks I’ll chk the plugs, etc. the bike has 45k km, I’ve put 2,000 km since my purchase. It had a safety for the registration transfer but probably has not had a good turn up yet. Below is a pic of the pipe I was talking about.

Attachments

• BFC699A2-A2DA-4ED2-AE82-BC4D195AB02F.jpeg
    BFC699A2-A2DA-4ED2-AE82-BC4D195AB02F.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 14
Another thing, check the valve clearances. They recommend every 10,000 km for this and spark plugs (I usually go longer). I balanced my throttle bodies last fall and the difference in performance was stunning.

Thanks I’ll chk the plugs, etc. the bike has 45k km, I’ve put 2,000 km since my purchase. It had a safety for the registration transfer but probably has not had a good turn up yet. Below is a pic of the pipe I was talking about.

That tube is the airbox drain. It should have NOTHING in there.

Oil in the tube indicates that you are “chasing” the full mark on the engine oil dipstick. Do not do this. Your engine oil is FINE anywhere between the MIN and the MAX. lines but always best somewhere in between. Trying to fill the engine oil to the very full mark further enhances oil being blown up and out the engine crankcase vent and into the airbox, where it pools in a giant puddle, gums up your steeper motor and ruins your idling, and also goes down that drain tube where you can see it.

Drain the tube overnight and open up your airbox lid and wipe out all of the oil in you airbox. I would also spray carb cleaner into the steeper motor inlet inside the airbox, to remove any oil already down in your steeper motor. (Use SEARCH about cleaning the steeper motor)

That tube is the airbox drain. It should have NOTHING in there.

Oil in the tube indicates that you are “chasing” the full mark on the engine oil dipstick. Do not do this. Your engine oil is FINE anywhere between the MIN and the MAX. lines but always best somewhere in between. Trying to fill the engine oil to the very full mark further enhances oil being blown up and out the engine crankcase vent and into the airbox, where it pools in a giant puddle, gums up your steeper motor and ruins your idling, and also goes down that drain tube where you can see it.

Drain the tube overnight and open up your airbox lid and wipe out all of the oil in you airbox. I would also spray carb cleaner into the steeper motor inlet inside the airbox, to remove any oil already down in your steeper motor. (Use SEARCH about cleaning the steeper motor)
Thanks for the tips Scott. I've been reading a lot of talk about not filling to the max so its definitely something I'll pay attention to. The oil though does not seem to be coming from the drain pipe as is is getting deposited all over the rear swing arm. I think I'll have to take off the side panels and give it a through inspection to see if I can locate the source.

Check the oil return lines on the rear of the valve covers near the throttle bodies. They crack and leak. I changed mine a couple of years ago.

Another thing, check the valve clearances. They recommend every 10,000 km for this and spark plugs (I usually go longer). I balanced my throttle bodies last fall and the difference in performance was stunning.
As the bike is new to me and the maintenance records I received with the bike don't list plugs, air filter, valve adjustment or carb sync these are all items I'm going to attack shortly. checking the TPS settings will be a new experience for me so there is going to be a bit of a learning curve there. I've been reading up on tank removal to access the air box so this this will another learning experience. :)

Last edited:
You do not “check” TPS settings on this model. They are only “reset” via a sophisticated electronic tool. If you do not own one, Todd (GTM) sells an excellent one in the STORE tab.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to reset a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) without one of these type electronic tools.

You do not “check” TPS settings on this model. They are only “reset” via a sophisticated electronic tool. If you do not own one, Todd (GTM) sells an excellent one in the STORE tab.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to reset a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) without one of these type electronic tools.
That’s what I understand ie impossible to reset without one. No I don’t have one yet but I do need one. I’ll look at the one Todd has in the store. Thanks

Back