Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum, by FACT NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - it should be common sense, but sadly needs to be stated; BE COURTEOUS! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

Norge 1200 faring repair

Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by Alex Simon, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Alex Simon

Alex Simon Just got it firing!

Hello everybody

I'm the happy owner of a Norge 1200 with 20k kms on the dash. Everything's ok except the lower fairings that have some cracks. I've searched about the material of the fairings but still had no luck. Even so, I found something called J-B Weld that claims to fix all kinds of plastic miraculously. Did anyone try this out? And which one to use, the plastic bonder or the plastic welder? I sent a message to the company trying to know the difference but still no luck.

Thank you for your help.
    Alex

2. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

3. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Alex, contrats on the Norge and welcome to the GT Famiglia. Hope you'll add your info to the Norge Registry; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/norge-registry-add-your-bike.11529/

I've used JB weld on the fairing tabs many times with great luck/success, as long as there's so load on the tab when in place. There might be better solutions as Mike links above, but for us in the US, JB Weld is easily obtainable via local parts stores or Amazon.com -- I have recently found JB's putty, and I'm quite happy with it, though it does set rather fast.

4. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

There is also a process called plastic welding. Kits to do this are available. I'm sure there must be a shop in Portugal that does this type of work. Also 3M makes products for repairing plastics. I've used 3M products to repair splits in plastic panels. They do have outlets in Europe.

5. Alex Simon

6. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

The material is ABS. You can get a bottle of stuff to weld this at most model shops. In the UK it's called Plastic Weld.
    Just put a drop on the crack with the end of a screwdriver or similar, and let it sink into the crack. Make sure it's held together for a few minutes. You may have to do this a few times on a long crack but afterwards the repair is almost invisible. Had to repair a couple of lugs on mine.

7. Alex Simon

Thanks Brian. I'll try to find something in a model shop. Maybe it makes those weak spots a little stronger, it's annoying how fragile the lower fairings are.

8. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

One nice thing about the three bond kit is that it comes with some fiberglass cloth to reinforce the repaired area.
    If you use some other version of glue I would suggest also using something to reinforce the repair.

9. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

Model shops also sell sheets of ABS in various thicknesses, so it is possible to weld a reinforcing piece behind if you think it would help.