• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge 1200 oil pressure

norgeman

Just got it firing!
Hello all, I have a 1200 Norge manufactured on 07 05 2007 according to the date on the triangualr web just behind the headstock and registered in July 2008.
It has about 35,000 miles on it and recently the oil pressure warning light has been coming on. Had the switch replaced (although the dealer fitted one for a later model) and the light still comes on but only when warm and at low revs.
Put on a pressure testing gauge kindly loaned to me by a local motorcycle dealer with a workshop.
The reading I get are:
Cold engine pressure at 2,000rpm at fast idle after start up is 2.5bar (35psi) then as idle drops to 1,200rpm pressure of 2 bar.
As the engine (and oil) warms up pressure at idle gradually drops to 0.5bar (10psi).
Increase engine speed to 5,000rpm and 6,000rpm, pressure builds up readily to 2.5bar, and when engine speed drops to idle pressure settles at 0.5bar.
So max pressure when warm is 2.5 bar, minimum pressure when warm is 0.5bar.
Do I have low oil pressure at all engine speeds, only at idle, or what?
I have heard of oil pumps failing on early Norges, which I aren't ruling out, but it would help if I knew what pressure I should be getting. Any help gratefully received, thank you.

0.5 bar (7.25 psi) on idle does seem a little low, and might explain why the light is showing on idle when warm.

I had a lot of trouble with a Breva 1100 oil switch, replaced it several times until finally I installed the correct part number version. Don't understand why they are different types for different models, but you should insist that the dealer install the correct one. The problem just might go away.

7 psi is much too low for a plain bearing engine. Pressure at idle should be closer to 20 psi (about 1.5 bar) Running (above 2 K rpm) pressure cold as much as 60 psi, with a hot engine about 40 psi. Either the oil is too thin, the pump is bad, the main bearings are shot (clearance too wide letting the oil out too easily) , or the pressure regulator is faulty. My bet is on the oil pump.

Thank you to the members who replied, I am pleased to say that the fault is now fixed. The gasket between the base of the crankcase and the crankcase extension had failed at the point where the oil galleries in the crankcase from the pump meet with the galleries in the crankcase extension and pass to the filter, oil cooler and rest of the engine. Replaced the gasket (which was £3.50GBP) and pressure back up to over 60psi at idle and over 80psi at speed.
If your oil pressure light flickers on, it might be worthwhile checking that gasket before spending 3 or 4 times that on a pressure switch.
Hope this is of use to somebody else, John

norgeman said:
Thank you to the members who replied, I am pleased to say that the fault is now fixed. The gasket between the base of the crankcase and the crankcase extension had failed at the point where the oil galleries in the crankcase from the pump meet with the galleries in the crankcase extension and pass to the filter, oil cooler and rest of the engine. Replaced the gasket (which was £3.50GBP) and pressure back up to over 60psi at idle and over 80psi at speed.
If your oil pressure light flickers on, it might be worthwhile checking that gasket before spending 3 or 4 times that on a pressure switch. Hope this is of use to somebody else, John
John, thanks a ton for this info. Great to have documented here.

In my case the symptoms of a faulty oil pressure sender was a random warning light that could be cleared for a time by stopping and starting the engine.

As for a warning light at idle once engine is warm, this has nearly always been a blown out section of gasket around the sump spacer oil feed passage.
I have a set of gaskets stored away just in case but 13 years and still holding.

Back