RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, Happy 2019! Note all of our products and custom bike builds are now on our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com. You may need a new username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. NOTE: We are not Amazon, we are a tiny one man operation. Thanks for your patience on orders. GuzziTech is now back to our origins; Enjoy the Guzzi Community Forum and Resources here. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx®) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine from 2000 until 2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work via our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our Seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

Norge 8V plug fouling

Discussion in 'Chat & Tech Info' started by Mattbro, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Mattbro

Mattbro Just got it firing! GT Contributor

I recently purchased a 2015 Norge 8V. At the time of purchase while the mechanic was test riding the bike the left cylinder stopped firing. The plug was changed correcting the problem. I passed it of as "bad gas" since it had been at the dealer a long time. Fast forward 3 months and 2500 miles and the same cylinder stopped firing and the plug appears fouled. Up to this point, the bike ran great getting 47-50 mpg. Tune up was performed @ 1700 miles so I am surprised it would be a tuning problem already. Thank you in advance .

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

3. Kubbie

Kubbie Tuned and Synch'ed

I was thinking plug wire or possible coil issues.

Mine was running fine for almost 200 miles on a non stop ride, Stopped for a potty break, came out. started the bike and it started missing on the (I found out later) right cylinder. Stuck my ear down near the head and you could hear it arcing to the valve cover. Plug was a little sootie but not bad.

Warranty replaced the plug and wire.

4. Duane Beery

Duane Beery Just got it firing!

Did you check the plugs for color? Are they black with soot? Oily? Completely white? That might help you get started. If oily probably bad news. If black running extremely rich, maybe O2 sensor. Completely white running lean maybe plugged up injector or air leak somewhere. There are vids on youtube on cleaning injectors and finding airleaks. Good luck

5. moszkow

moszkow Just got it firing!

Regarding your plugs fouling, my own experience of cylinders misfiring or totally shutting off on my Norge 8v, the culprit has been the plug wires. The passage they pass through on top of the valve cover is enclosed which creates tremendous heat. I was replacing these wires every 5k miles of riding. Finally, I came up with a solution. Every new plug wire that I purchased, I would tightly wrap it with electrical tape (with slight overlap). Particularly the area near the cap where it plunges deep into the spark plug cavity. Since then, I've had no issues of the plug wires fouling. The life time of the plug wires almost doubled. This might not be your situation but it's possible.

Leon