• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge charging system

Wistrick

Cruisin' Guzzisti
As my heated grips seem to be not working as well as before, I checked the dash voltage on the bike with the following results.

bike off 12.1 v
bike @ idle 13.1
3000-5000 rpms 13.2 (drops to 13.0 with grips on.)

isn't charging voltage suppose to be more like 14.0 volts, is the dash voltage gauge even accurate...

Dan

The dash meter can be low due to resistance in the wiring harness. Use a good DMM and get the reading directly from the battery.

so now that I have determined that the charging system is fine..where should I begin to look of the source of problem with low heat on the grips...do the run though a bunch of other stuff maybe causing voltage drop???
the grips are but out so little heat that on high I can barely feel them...when I first bought the bike I couldn't even tolerate the heat on high......

Dan

Wistrick said:
so now that I have determined that the charging system is fine..where should I begin to look of the source of problem with low heat on the grips...do the run though a bunch of other stuff maybe causing voltage drop???
the grips are but out so little heat that on high I can barely feel them...when I first bought the bike I couldn't even tolerate the heat on high......

Dan

Try cleaning your connections with contact cleaner. A small amount of corrosion may have developed. It may not even be enough to see, but it only takes a little to drop voltage.

I still haven't been able to fix the low heat problem with my grips....Its my understanding that on high there should be 12v at the grips....correct???? and on medium and low they are pulsed like a heated jacket controller....why the heck are they tied into the ecu?? do they turn off at low voltage or a certain temp...gonna go check voltage at the grip terminals in a bit will report back...BTW I cleaned all the contacts and switch the left plug for the right plug no go....sure is acting like low voltage.....

Dan

Peel back one of the grips slightly to expose the terminals, and measure the voltage drop between both battery posts and each of the grip terminals in turn (use the highest heat setting). The lower readings will indicate the voltage drop in the circuitry. Anything excessive will give you a clue where to start looking.

Take the time and trouble to remove the starter cover to expose the ground strap connector from the battery, clean it up and refasten you should be reading more then 12.1 V on the dash readout with the bike not running unless your battery is going south. It is a known source of trouble.

Are u talking about the two wires that are visible when u take the cover off...??? I found corrosion under the positive battery terminal....used a flapper wheel to clean and shine...also added a 4 gauge wire from the starter mounting bolt to the neg on the battery to beef up the ground....also bought an 12v meter so I can test voltage at the grips....when it decides to get above 35 today i'll go get everything back together....

Dan

Remember also that there is 2 different charging systems - one for the battery and one for everything else. The dash readout is for everything else and is strongly affected by the size of the cables used (too small - barely enough to get the job done). You can monitor the battery charge voltage using your meter directly on the battery itself.

Feel free to correct me if I got that all arse about...

Back