• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge Oil Pump replacement.

Petrov

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Hey guys I have an 07 Norge, reading all these posts about the oil pump made me paranoid.
How hard is it to replace it?
Also breather tube (the one that pukes oil into the airbox), is there a way to get rid of it or have it puke oil in a catch bottle or something?

Hi petrov, not too difficult and worth doing for peace of mind. My crank and con rods wore out all of a sudden with a heavy replacement cost.
Best to check it out

Hi Petrov, I replaced the engine breather from the air box into a small bottle under the seat and blocked off the hole in the airbox. The result is a clean, dry airbox, the other upside is that is doesnt put oil mist into the throttler bodies, there was a service bulletin that came out a while ago about having to clean them to stop stalling. Also dont overfill with engine oil.

Yeah I checked out my VIN number it is in the dreaded range.
Looking at the manual, what special tools will I need? Crankshaft pulley looks like? Is there a generic universal one? MG one is really expensive.
Also looks like I will need to retime my bike if I do this?

If you are not the original owner, have your VIN handy and check with a dealer to see if it has already been done.

Can't be re-timed. Controlled by the phase sensor.

Phase sensor? So how do I change the oil pump?

Phase sensor identifies cam position. Have you downloaded the maintenance manual from the resources section? You shouldn't destroy the crank pulley in the process of removal. There are index marks on the crank and cam sprocket that are alined on assembly.

Looking at the manual as we speak, so after I take off the alternator cover there will be a timing chain with 3 sprockets. Bottom one for crankshaft top one for cams? I am just worried that I will screw up the timing between the cam shaft and the crank shaft. Or as you said they are keyed so once I take them off they really shouldn't budge while I change the oil pump and I just put them back on?

Looking at the manual as we speak, so after I take off the alternator cover there will be a timing chain with 3 sprockets. Bottom one for crankshaft top one for cams? I am just worried that I will screw up the timing between the cam shaft and the crank shaft. Or as you said they are keyed so once I take them off they really shouldn't budge while I change the oil pump and I just put them back on?

Petrov,

I don't know your wrenching abilities or experience. What we did mention is the crank sprocket and cam sprocket have a mark on them. On removal and install it is helpful to have the crank mark at 12 o'clock, and the cam mark at 6 o'clock. If you are asking these types of questions, you may be better off having the pump replaced by an experienced Guzzi shop.

My "local" guzzi dealer told me that I have to run 40 weight oil in my Norge.
I did valve adjustments on both of my Japanese 4 cylinder bikes before along with carb balancing.
Downloaded the guzzi service manual and reading up on the pump. I appreciate the advice.
We have a new Italian bike dealership opening a block away from me, they will have guzzi factory guys come to train the techs on the 18th, perhaps I should take it to them if I am in over my head.

The dealer that recommended 40 wt oil is definitely not the place to take it. Hopefully the new guy will inspire more confidence. BTW, an independent shop that has experienced Guzzi mechanics should be able to handle the job since you are well out of warranty.

I was looking at my steering stem and the plate on it with the bike info and the plate said 3-2007 , this means it was made in march 2007? I think that that is outside the bad oil pump range?

Hi Petrov, I replaced the engine breather from the air box into a small bottle under the seat and blocked off the hole in the airbox. The result is a clean, dry airbox, the other upside is that is doesnt put oil mist into the throttler bodies, there was a service bulletin that came out a while ago about having to clean them to stop stalling. Also dont overfill with engine oil.
Kevin, this may be a lost cause, but I rerouted my breather to a bottle under the seat next to the battery. What did you do you to get it to stop misting the underside of the seat and smoking on hot rides?

I don't get misting under the seat or smoking on hot rides. The bottle is sealed except for a tiny breather hole. Every 6 months or so it collects about a teaspoon of creamy oil which i dispose of. Still no problem after 100,000kms
I improved my arrangement slightly - the tube extension now passes through a grommet slightly smaller than the OD of the tube, and I stuffed some scotchbrite and a bit of cotton up in the cap of the bottle. I get about a tablespoon after every ride, however, I put a bit more oil in to make up for existing oil leaks where I need to replace seals. Teenagers, am I right?

Last edited:
I improved my arrangement slightly - the tube extension now passes through a grommet slightly smaller than the OD of the tube, and I stuffed some scotchbrite and a bit of cotton up in the cap of the bottle. I get about a tablespoon after every ride, however, I put a bit more oil in to make up for existing oil leaks where I need to replace seals. Teenagers, am I right?
Just keep the oil level about half way between low and full on the dipstick. Any more and it will blow out oil.

Just keep the oil level about half way between low and full on the dipstick. Any more and it will blow out oil.
My only concern is that mine was upgraded to the car-style dipstick, so I’m not entirely certain how accurate it is compared to stock. Typically, I’ve been running about 1/4 oil showing on the narrow part, and it still blows oil. It’s not showing signs of compression loss, or at least nothing that I would recognize!

My only concern is that mine was upgraded to the car-style dipstick, so I’m not entirely certain how accurate it is compared to stock. Typically, I’ve been running about 1/4 oil showing on the narrow part, and it still blows oil. It’s not showing signs of compression loss, or at least nothing that I would recognize!
After a couple of weeks of riding with a Forbidden Hot Sauce bottle under my seat, I decided to reroute the breather back to the airbox. There was a LOT of pressure pulsing through the hose into that bottle! So, I replaced the original breather hose off the back of the airbox and into the same bottle. Pressure isn’t as high, and surprisingly, there doesn’t seem to be as much forbidden hot sauce filling the bottle at this point.

Attachments

• BF460762-C5B8-4D8B-BAC7-55E3E1CFD3F8.jpeg
    BF460762-C5B8-4D8B-BAC7-55E3E1CFD3F8.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 638069DA-9D7B-4092-89B5-F9202BEBF7F4.jpeg
    638069DA-9D7B-4092-89B5-F9202BEBF7F4.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 3AD53FBF-604A-49B6-A359-466AFEB8C383.jpeg
    3AD53FBF-604A-49B6-A359-466AFEB8C383.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 7
Back