• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge rear brake problems

Great input, thanks. As I said in an early post, I have e-mailed my question to a site called "Cycle Tech" to which no answer as of yet.

I have spent most of the day reviewing the brake system and can not find any thing wrong, albeit the limitations of my test devices may not show up the root cause. I will take the system apart Sunday to review the MC, calipers and all fittings.

The suggestion to remove the rear brake system from the ABS is something I have given a lot of thought to this.

Will report any findings worthwhile.

Thanks again for all of the inputs

While its a long shot have you made sure the bearings in the CARC are OK by doing the standard wheel bearing test? If the wheel is flopping about it will drive the pistons back into the caliper and the brake will feel very spongy until it pumps up again.

Just a thought. Otherwise try having the ABS re-calibrated with Navigator.

Pete

Pete, good to hear from you been worried about you.
Thanks for the input. Question for you: Have you found evidence of any master cylinder problems which could lead to air ingestion?

To answer your question about the wheel bearing test. Yes I have checked the wheel bearing and the caliper mount bolts, everything seems well. I bled the brakes,again, last week(new dot 4 fluid was used to refill) left the bike on the lift. Yesterday I checked the brake lever travel. The travel was more than twice as long and very soft. The fact that the bike was not on the road has me very concerned about the entire system. I have a set of rear calipers(Brembo) taken from a BMW I will check the fitment today, it is worth a shot.

Pete, it good to hear from you and trust that all is well.
PM sometime about the CARC breather.

Thanks
Larry

I've put up the question on my French forum (here), and just got a helpful reply. The issue is apparently due to air bubbles building up around some ABS pump valves; MG are aware and have modified the purging procedure. I'm hoping to get more detailed information, but someone with time on his/er hands could delve into the tech bulletins to see if there was indeed an official communication on this ;)

FWIW, the updated procedure calls for doing the purge with a functioning ABS system — i.e. the engine running and the ABS light OFF.

RJVB said:
FWIW, the updated procedure calls for doing the purge with a functioning ABS system — i.e. the engine running and the ABS light OFF.

How does one get the ABS light to go off when the bike is just idling in neutral ??

Either you turn both wheels at the same time to get at the minimal distance travelled at the minimum speed to satisfy the ABS

or

you ride a bit and then get the bike up the lift/whatever and do your purging thing.

Yes, must be the dog's bollocks for the dealers, but mine shrugged it off saying they'd simply finish the job outside or something of the sort.

RJVB said:
Either you turn both wheels at the same time to get at the minimal distance travelled at the minimum speed to satisfy the ABS

or

you ride a bit and then get the bike up the lift/whatever and do your purging thing.

Yes, must be the dog's bollocks for the dealers, but mine shrugged it off saying they'd simply finish the job outside or something of the sort.

OK got it now !

Carefull, our 2007 Norge has experienced the rear brake issue from the purchase date. Bleeding of the brakes every 3-4 thousand miles was required, replace master cyclinder, abs pump and hose seals. Finally at 25k the whole system locked up and caused major damage, melted down a caliper, lucky no one was hurt.

Attachments

• DSC00405sm.jpg
    DSC00405sm.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 270
While I may not have found the only smoking gun, I have aleast found one problem. The bleed valve, brake line connector. After waiting for some time to recieve an answer from Brembo(has yet arrive) i decided to "spin a few wrenches". I found that the metal/rubber washers found on the top and bottom of the bleed valve were damp. When I removed the unit the rubber portion of the washers fell out in small pieces almost dust. I cleaned area and checked for scaring and galled areas on the valve, none found. I didnot have a gasketed washer, so I am using a copper washer top and bottom. I have not put a lot of miles on yet(approx 200+) I still have a soild pedal. I can not say for sure that the bleeding problem is gone, but I am feeling better about it. Thanks for the interest and comments.

Sounds like something one might detect when bleeding (if you know what to look for, and probably before you actually start the operation)?

A thought about disconnecting the rear ABS: I'm not sure the system will appreciate. Disconnecting the rear brake lines from the system should not interfere with wheel-blocking detecting (which is based on a comparison of wheel speeds). But I'd do some serious testing under controlled circumstances the ABS computer reacts to the fact that one of the loops it controls has been opened (i.e. any control command it might send concerning the rear will have 0 effect). Maybe it will just do its work, but I can imagine any kind of abnormal reaction from loss of the front brake to all-out front braking.

I have a 2007 Norge - 80.000 km on the clock. Rear brake is working fine but it is not a "high" performer but does the job.I'm still using the same kind of brake pads as from the beginning and have no complaints.Brake fluid hasn't bee, changed yet - checked on moisture content and still OK so I'll have it changed next year.Same brake lines too.
So sorry can't help. Coming from a Honda I only noticed that you have to realy push on the pedal to have a braking effect whilst on my Honda it was better "finetuned" but that is just getting familiar with it. Luckily a MG has a very good engine brake effect brake - I love to use (abus) it . Take care. Marc (Belgium)

After reading all this and having nothing better to do today I bled my mushy feeling, non working ABS rear brake on a 2007 Norge. Wow! What a difference. ABS now works like a champ and I am enjoying a good hard feeling rear brake. No voodoo in doing the job, found it to be quite easy to do on the rear. Harder on my back and knees though.
I was surprised at all the bubbles coming out.
Tomorrow, the fronts which feel OK but what the heck.

Thanks for the input GuzziBoB. The problem is not a wooden feel, but a spongy feel. The ABS does not come on and I have changed the pads to a less aggresive grade.
What I do not understand is why is this happening only to the rear brake The front brakes are running "HH" pad compound and they work great, enlighten me to some thing I am doing wrong or not aware of.

Thanks
Hi, I have 2008 Norge, purchased a month ago, rode it first time today. Same problem: very soft long path rear brake lever. Going to twist unnormaly my ankle to apply brake. Got the schematic of mechanical config. Will try manipulate the MC rod and nut

Hi, I have 2008 Norge, purchased a month ago, rode it first time today. Same problem: very soft long path rear brake lever. Going to twist unnormaly my ankle to apply brake. Got the schematic of mechanical config. Will try manipulate the MC rod and nut

Try bleeding the system first. Soft long travel may indicate air in the line.

Back