• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge speedometer does not return to zero sometimes

Erik Schmidt

Just got it firing!
Occasionally when turning on the ignition on my 08 Norge the tach and speedo do their little dance, but the speedo sticks at 240 or some other speed instead of returning to zero. Every time the ignition is turned on after it sticks it resets at a slighter lower speed until it eventually reaches zero again until the next time. It happens about once a month and so far it is just annoying. It means I have to subtract whatever speed it is stuck on when stopped from the reading when moving to know how fast I am actually going. I checked the forum before posting and all I could find was stuff about fixing speed sensors from getting wet, and V7s having issues that sound similar. I am pretty sure whatever is causing it is in the instrument cluster, my bike does not get wet very often. Before ripping into the instrument panel does anyone have any other suggestions?

Are you sure that it's the speed sensor? Since this happens when needles are doing their dance it may indicate that maybe it's a stepper motor that needs to be replaced?! There are three stepper motors that run Speedo, rpm, and fuel gauge, all three are exactly the same. I had an issue with one that runs a fuel gauge needle, the gear teeth were broken inside the motor and the needle was all over the place due to this problem, sometimes stuck at one position, sometimes showing incorrect fuel level, etc...

Replacing the faulty stepper motor did solve the issue for me. :)

The gear is really tiny, here are some pictures of the gear:

And here's the link from where I've bought a new one:

aliexpress.com/item/4001193485939.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.35c74c4dB0CJjh

On my Breva 1100, if the dash is left in direct sunlight, after it does the "dance " the speedo gauge will stick, turning the ign on/off drops it 20km/h every time. I just make sure its covered or out of the sun.

On my Breva 1100, if the dash is left in direct sunlight, after it does the "dance " the speedo gauge will stick, turning the ign on/off drops it 20km/h every time. I just make sure its covered or out of the sun.

I've had to do the same. I may take a few cycles to finally zero.

That sounds the same as what is happening, including leaving it in the sun.

Exactly the same as my Breva 1100. One solution is to carry a rag with you and every time you park, cover them, or take them to bits and rebuild them. Not for the faint hearted. With a care and patience most people could do it, with the result of working clocks. I sure that there is a thread elsewhere on this forum showing a step by step guide.

Exactly the same as my Breva 1100. One solution is to carry a rag with you and every time you park, cover them, or take them to bits and rebuild them. Not for the faint hearted. With a care and patience most people could do it, with the result of working clocks. I sure that there is a thread elsewhere on this forum showing a step by step guide.
Haha, what is the fix, lubing with sunscreen?

The fix was, the needles probably went back in a slightly different position and didn't catch any more due to heat distortion caused by the direct sunlight. The reason I took the clocks apart was because I thought that misting and crap weather had caused corrosion to the circuit board as I couldn't find the reason why warning lights were coming on. I didn't find anything, so the search was narrowed down and the unexpected bonus was clocks that didn't stick.

Back