• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge spins but won't start

cmgies

Tuned and Synch'ed
First time I have ever had the Norge not start (excepting a time when I didn't keep the battery up on a long non-riding). Everything worked just fine yesterday. Drove to work. Did an errand mid day. Drove home in 90+ degree heat. No signs of any problems whatsoever. This morning I roll it out of the garage and turn on the key. Normal dance of the lights and so forth. Hit the starter and it turns over just fine but just doesn't want to fire very badly. It would sort of stumble and run at very low RPMs and then die. If I tried giving it some throttle (have never had to do that in the past), it would die right away.

Thoughts?

I put it on the battery charger and drove the car to work.

Michael Gies

Have you checked/replaced the fuel filter? If it is one of the half plastic ones, it may be leaking out. You get enough pressure to start, but not to keep running. And while you are in there, check the fuel hoses too. I've not heard of this partial failure before, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

Actually, sounds very much like I was told my Norge was when being prepped for initial delivery to me. Turned out to be the half plastic fuel filter which was cracked to begin with. Replaced with metal (I believe & hope), no problems in the 25k miles since.

I don't know if every Norge came with the half plastic half metal fuel filter but my 07 did. When I replaced it at about 12k miles the plastic side was soft and bloated. I can't say for sure if it would have ever failed but I thought it a good idea not to test my luck. I replaced it with an all metal one that I got from MG Cycle. Cheap compared to be stranded in the middle of nowhere far from home.

Given that those half plastic filters were not designed to be immersed in petrol/gasolene, I think you can be fairly sure it will fail one day - when you are in the middle of nowhere, and have a full tank. :evil:

Ok. I just replaced the fuel filter on Sunday. Rode it to work on Tuesday and it wouldn't start on Wednesday. This, as I said before, after starting about 5 times on Tuesday.

Other theories?

Michael

When you are in the no start situation, do you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the ignition on?
You said also that you tried with throttle open too, how open? It could be the stepper motor playing up but normally if you try with the throtle just cracked open, no more, it starts.

Back