RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, Welcome to the GT Forum! GuzziTech is now back to our origins; We hope you enjoy the Guzzi Global Community Forum here. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: If you are posting on numerous sites on the web, please stop back and follow up. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Note all of our products and custom bike builds are now on our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com - Store tab above. You need a different username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. NOTE: We are not Amazon, we are a tiny one man operation with several business going at once - Sign into the Store to check on orders before contacting us. Thanks for your patience on orders. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx®) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine from 2000~2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work via our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our Seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

Norge Windscreen and Peg Options

Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by Bulldog9, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Bulldog9

Bulldog9 Tuned and Synch'ed

Just picked up a lightly used (but poorly cared for) 2014 8VGT. In search of a little more leg room and taller windscreen, I thought that my options were the KD Knight pegs or Buell Pegs, a Cal Science or Givi windscreen, which is a shame because all those parts look like @$$ IMHO. They are pricey too. After searching a bit, I found a few options and am very happy with them and the savings. How often does that happen?

WIndscreen: MG 25" Screen...................... I found the stock windscreen about an inch too short. In the full upright position I had to duck my head an inch to get in the perfect pocket. I Had a Cal Sci on my Concours and FJR and liked them, but really liked the Guzzi shape which works well but looks great. I found that MG makes a tall screen for the Norge that is 25" and has that same shape. In the lowest position the new screen is about an inch higher than the stock at full extension. This puts a solid stream of air in the lowest position and at 3/4 I am in a pocket of QUIET......... It maintains the stock look and is $100 cheaper than the Cal Sci.
    mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=51&products_id=3108

FootPegs: Gold Wing Pegs......................... I think the Italian Designers have little legs........... Or they like a super tight seating position. Seems like this is the case on all current MG's with the exception of the Stelvio or Cali, and even the Cali is tight for a big cruiser. Too tight for me. I have the KD Knight pegs on my Griso and find them FUGLY......... But it is a Thug so dont mind it. Not so on the Norge....... I want to keep the clean look and lines and design, so I wanted to keep the silver peg and black rubber. If you look at the stock pegs on the newer Norges, you will see that it has a 1"+ block of rubber. After looking around, I found a set of 2005 Goldwing Pegs, they are flat, quality construction, have a small drop and are much thinner, give a little wider surface for stability and are over an inch lower, look great, and without all the complications of lowering the brake and shift lever. Plus they are $50. I found a set on sleaze bay, but these are just like them.

aliexpress.com/item/Front-Footpeg-Rider-Peg-Footrest-for-Honda-Goldwing-GL1800-2001-2010/1959337257.html?spm=2114.40010708.4.77.lpcAnV

I love the result and the $150 in my pocket.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

Instead of lowering pegs, my recommendation is to raise the seat. You will probably discover the stock foam is too soft resulting in your being on the seat pan after a couple hundred miles. A good closed cell foam seat an inch or two higher may do what you are looking for in that area.

3. SullZ

SullZ Just got it firing! GT Famiglia

I removed the rubber from the stock pegs. Much more user friendly.

4. Bulldog9

The stock seat may feel like you sink to the pan, but you really dont sink all that much. Did 400 miles today, and after the first hour or so things were fine seat wise. The pegs are unreasonably high on the Norge, and the 1" rubber added to the peg and squishy seat makes it even worse. I just came off a Gen 1 FJR which has almost an identical seat height as the Norge but the Norge's pegs are at least 2" closer to the seat. The flat goldwing pegs fit and look perfect and opens up the seating position to be about equal to the FJR. $50 easy fix. No need to tear up the stock seat. YMMV

5. abbienormal

abbienormal High Miler GT Famiglia

Those of us short of leg do not want to raise the seat. I find the 2012 Norge seat much less comfortable than the thinner 2007 Norge seat. I am intrigued by the GL1800 peg idea as I also thought all the lowering pegs were lacking in looks.

JJ Eckerman likes this.
  6. Bulldog9

Installed the goldwing pegs and windscreen and both really make a huge improvement. Measuring from the floor to the top of the rubber, the Stock peg was about 15 5/8" The Goldwing pegs measure 14 3/8" so about 1 1/8" inch drop and really feels so much more comfortable. No interference with the side stand and no need to adjust the brake or shift levers. The gap between the pin and peg is too large for the spring to work, so will need to address this in the future.

7. King of Fleece

King of Fleece Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

We're all different. I blow thru the stock foam in about 100 miles. The 2014 seat is also sloped much too forward for my taste.
    I've done several Norge seat rebuilds and I'm happy with the result. I also change the look a bit to what I feel is much more attractive.
    I have a pic on my business Facebook page. www.kingoffleece.com has a link

8. romanowski

romanowski Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

It sounds as if you have discovered a great fix for an issue I have been living with since 2012! Do the Honda pegs bolt in with the existing fastening hardware? Could you please explain a little more about the spring fit?

9. Bulldog9

Yes, just take the old off and put on the Honda pegs. On my bike, the spring is too short on the peg side of the pin. The side of the spring that presses against the peg is about 1/2 the length of the one on the Norge frame. You can either source springs with equal length 'legs' or do what I did, I JB weld a 1/4" spacer to the inside of the peg. You could also go without springs if necessary.

The pegs look 100% stock, are nice and flat and have enough rubber padding to absorb whatever small amount of vibration may be there.

10. abbienormal

Photos? Pegs and springs?

11. Bulldog9

[​IMG]

Here are the pegs, take out the pin to see the spring ;-) What a hassle to post a pic, GUZZITECH needs to get a clue.

12. abbienormal

It does look like a lot lower and much better reach for the brake pedal. I see another project. I use Windows and have no problem posting photos. You just have to use the "Upload a file" link next to "Post Reply". That will put it in the message either as a thumbnail or full size.

13. romanowski

Thank you for such a simple solution!

14. romanowski

I found brand new GL1800 pegs that the Honda owner removed in favour of Foot Boards. I bought the pair for $35.00 CDN! I discovered that RS Honda spring fits in perfectly on the Norge LS. The LS Honda spring requires a hole to be drilled on the Norge RS. See photos.

Attached Files:

15. polkpr

polkpr Just got it firing!

I'd like to try these out on my 14 Norge but dealing with a credit card directly with a company in China scares the crap out of me. Has anyone actually ordered these? And if so, what were the results. Thanks,

16. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

I fitted the Goldwing pegs some time back, but couldn't get the springs to work. Having seen the above, I'll have another go. I find them more comfortable than stock, they look better and are cheaper than all the adjustable aftermarket ones too, the Honda guys don't seem to want them.

17. romanowski

I wouldn't give my credit card number to China either! There are a lot of original Honda pegs to be picked up locally. As Brian said the Goldwing riders don't want them - they change them out for foot boards. A good used set should go for $50.00 or near there. Try sourcing them on a Goldwing chat room.

Cheers
    Walter

18. Bulldog9

Ebay and Paypal..... too easy ;-) Besides, China already has all that stuff anyway ;-)

19. abbienormal

I have used my credit card quite a few times with Chinese companies. No problems so far. :wait: If possible I do it through PayPal using my credit card for double protection since I don't really trust PayPal to stand behind a problem.
    However, if that is really a turn off price the entire assembly from Honda online. I checked Ron Ayers online and with the springs and shipping they were $72 of which $6 was the springs so not a lot more than China and you get OEM Honda. Currently my friend in the Gold Wing club thinks he has a line on some so I'll wait a few days before I order.

20. Dale Baker

Dale Baker Tuned and Synch'ed

Abbie, can you post the OEM Honda part numbers for the pegs and springs? Are the rubbers and backing plates also ordered separately? Thanks, Dale