• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

NTX, Tank removal (Problem).

Well that’s certainly one way to fix it.

Mine were overtightened from the get go and when I finally got them apart, I took a very fine drill and drilled out some shafts parallel to and right along side and around the insert. I did 4 shafts at 3, 6, 9, and 12 o’clock.

I then squirted super glue into those shafts I drilled which allowed the glue to spread around the insert. When it dried, the inserts no longer rotated and as long as I don’t try to torque those nuts, it will probably last forever.

I don’t know why people tighten the hell out of those because they only hold the side wind deflector on and this doesn’t require any real force.

I don’t know why people tighten the hell out of those because they only hold the side wind deflector on and this doesn’t require any real force.

I don't know what the mechanism is, but I have often had threaded joints that I put together with minimal torque need 10x that torque to get them off.

Oil filters are one example. Lots of funny dynamics going on with the material, temperature, rubber gasket, etc, but there's been times when I know I put on a filter hand-tight, 3/4 turn from gasket contact, and when I go to take them off, I have to use a wrench with a long handle and pull until it hurts to move it.

Or like my Centauro front axle clamp screws. You could put those fine-threaded steel screws into the aluminum slider, recognizing that they don't have to be really tight, they're just holding the axle from moving ... and when they had to come out to change a tire, you could wallow out the hex socket, even with a good-fitting wrench, trying to get them out.

Maybe something like that happens with these. Differing materials .... ?

Lannis

Lannis,
The imbedded fastener assembly in mine looks to be stainless steel to stainless steel ......... so there shouldn't be any kind of galvanic oxidation or similar? I believe that it just would get overtightened, and it was a pretty poor design to begin with so it easily stripped/spun from the plastic surrounding it when trying to loosen.

The smaller part in the picture below is the part that's "imbedded" in the plastic. It's much more "rounded" than it should be. Even if it were a simple square nut, it would have MUCH more holding power.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_f3c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_f3c.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 3
Stainless steel to stainless steel--that is a combination waiting for seized threads if overtightened. It would not take much torque on those small threads to be too much for stainless.

Back