• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

nuovo acquisition

tobinh

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
a while back there was a thread here about a Nuovo Falcone for sale in my province - very rare here!

turns out... it never sold. I posted in the NF facebook group - I've wanted a Guzzi single for ages now - and the very same gentleman from the ad contacted me with the following photo:

April 2021

the price was agreeable, and so was my 'friend with a truck', so it was road trip time:

20221126 103236 1

20221126 153909

and a happy result, into friend's garage (I don't have one in the part of BC I'm living now):

Mewithnf

and the tinkering begins:

Nfstraighton

Lucky you! I almost bought a super clean example at Vintage Bike Days at Mid-Ohio racetrack a few years back. I’ve always wanted a MG single too.

Looking forward to updates and comments.

Congratulations!

and a happy result, into friend's garage (I don't have one in the part of BC I'm living now):
Well congrats my friend! I’ve ridden and raced several, and one day I’ll own one.
My good friend Paul owns Guzzino.com - might be of help to you. I helped my friend Michael (right in pic below) retrieve one bought from Paul, forever ago now. It was sold to someone else without me knowing.
Be sure to document all of your progress and processes here please! I’ll be following this thread. Enjoy it, sure you will.

E62B4CE6 4F3B 4FBA 9141 F48E59D201AE

Thanks guys, I will certainly keep the thread going with lots of pictures and updates. I could not start it yesterday, but I didn't have much time to tinker. Today hopefully the old lump will make some noise!

result!

managed to get some tinkering in, and it fired straight away! wait, no - it was *on fire* straight away...

Nfmeltedwire
while tinkering I killed the battery, and decided to hook up a little unit intended to jumpstart cars. worked great! until I got a bit distracted and stayed on the starter button for a bit too long...

after a few moments with my 'wiring tool box', the loom was rebuilt and... still no joy. pulled the plug to look for spark - dry, no fuel smell. pretty clear what the problem was at this point, but the spark was also very weak. gap was very wrong, so fixed that, also found the lead to the plug was quite loose in the coil, and the plug tip was partially unscrewed (I didn't even know they unscrewed to be honest). sorted all that, and spark was much improved.

checked compression while I was there, tho I was pretty certain it would be fine from the feel through the kickstarter, and it is.

tried starting again, predictably no joy, so off came the airbox and...

Nfdirtycarb

Nfdirtycarbbowl

is your carburetor supposed to be furry? most jets were completely blocked, our classic 'ran when parked' syndrome. since I have no ultrasonic machine in my current location (this is a real 'tinkering in a borrowed shed' situation here, hence the clutter in the background), it was out with the teeny brushes, bits of wire, starter fluid (makes an okay carb cleaner) and ... result!

rum and cokes all round! ... should be prosecco really but the working conditions seem to suggest rum and coke somehow.

the video cuts off right before I mutter 'well, guess the clutch is coming out'. it's not disengaging at all, as I suppose you can hear. still, the engine sounds great, so I'm confident the engine internals are in good shape.

I absolutely love what you are getting into here. If it is a wet clutch, don't try to make it release with the engine running. Put it in gear and try to break the plates free by rocking the bike in gear with the engine off. I love singles. That was all I rode through the 90's. They connect us to that place when we were kids and got totally fascinated by internal combustion. A single cylinder, with 2 valves and a single carb taking you down the road at 70 mph is simply magic. You will fall in love with this bike. I find it hard to conceal my envy :inlove:

well, no luck today. lots of exploration:

Nffootpeg

indexable footpegs?

Nfclutchcover
our area of inquiry

Nfclutchin
everything looking very nice in here, a bit dirty maybe, but this machine has limited filtration

Nfclutchrem
cobbled together removal tool, worked great!

Nfclutchdisks
the disks were stuck together completely! I thought this was the whole issue, but after careful cleaning and soaking in clean engine oil... no change.

ah well, no luck today and time for bed. the clutch is so thoroughly frozen together, I'm sure there's some assembly issue. we'll find it!

Most likely caused by putting automotive oil into her. Any oil rated “high mileage, energy conserving, or anything remotely like that” will cause your exact issue. The additive package in those oils will do this. Seen it a dozen times.

You need to make sure to use a JASO MA2 rated motorcycle oil. Then the plates will not fuse like that.

Best not to try and separate the plates as the friction surfaces have been contaminated. Just put in new plates and be sure to remove all previous motor oil.

I personally would replace the clutch pack (soak the plates overnight in a ziplock bag of clean fresh oil to impregnate them), then run for a couple minutes, drain oil and then refill again with fresh, just to ensure that the offending oil is all diluted and flushed out. IMHO. 😀👌👍🤞

Did you get the clutch plates separated without issue ?
or is it still a solid pack ?
well I wouldn't say 'without issue' exactly, but they did come apart, and I was confident they were going to work properly when I put them back together. the previous owner mentioned hard shifting, I suspect he's been in here, maybe some assembly issue will become obvious once I pull off the basket.

or... maybe it's still the plates stuck together despite my cleaning/lubing, and I just didn't shock them apart hard enough... 🤔

Most likely caused by putting automotive oil into her. Any oil rated “high mileage, energy conserving, or anything remotely like that” will cause your exact issue. The additive package in those oils will do this. Seen it a dozen times.

You need to make sure to use a JASO MA2 rated motorcycle oil. Then the plates will not fuse like that.

Best not to try and separate the plates as the friction surfaces have been contaminated. Just put in new plates and be sure to remove all previous motor oil.

I personally would replace the clutch pack (soak the plates overnight in a ziplock bag of clean fresh oil to impregnate them), then run for a couple minutes, drain oil and then refill again with fresh, just to ensure that the offending oil is all diluted and flushed out. IMHO. 😀👌👍🤞
ahhhhh okay. I have been flushing with motorcycle oil, but very possibly this has occurred in the past. will do!

Back