• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Nuovo Falcone Wheel Bearings

leafman60

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I finally got those wheel bearings out and matched.

For the rear wheel-

They are double-row ball bearings - number 3203 -.

Dimensions are 17MM inside, 40MM outside, 17.5MM thick.

Cross reference is to :

SKF 3203 A 2RS1 or equivalent.

For the front wheel-

They are single-row ball bearings - number 6203 -.

Dimensions 17MM inside, 40 MM outside, 12 MM thick.

Cross reference is to:

SKF 6203-2RS1

The original bearings were not sealed but the above referenced bearings feature modern sealed construction that avoids problems with grease contaminating the brake shoes.

These are some very heavy-duty bearings for wheel application.

The originals also have a separate shield that taps into the wheel bore to help contain grease into the bearing shell. An fibrous grease absorber ring is also fitted in the wheel hub to catch errant grease and prevent it from contaminating the brake shoes.

The bearings are difficult to remove since they are thick and fit tightly. There is an inner sleeve between the two bearings on a wheel and there is no edge onto which a drift or puller tool can be affixed for removal by driving or pulling.

I had to use a friction tool - Motion Pro 08-0260, 08-0268 . This tool employs a collet insert that fits into the inner bore of the bearing. A wedge-ended driver rod is driven into the split collet to spread the collet into the bearing bore. The wedge driver is then struck with a hammer etc to drive the bearing out along with the collet that is wedged into the inner bearing bore.

This tool works great but I think it may damage a bearing so removed. Hence, once removed with the tool, I am not sure a bearing can be safely re-used.

Since I was replacing the old with new, sealed bearings, this was not relevant.

The new bearings can be gently tapped or pressed into the bores with a suitable mallet or press along with a properly-sized bearing driver or improvised socket.

The double row bearings aren't cheap if you use premium brands. My local bearing shop wanted $55 each for SKF's. I ordered a full set of SKF 3203's off ebay at about $35 each.

I've learned to always use Timken, SKF or some premium brand. I've had trouble with cheap bearings, especially in wheel bearing applications.

The stock bearings on my Civile have few miles on them but, at 40 years old, the grease had hardened and some of the balls seem to scratch. Besides, I like the idea of sealed bearings in applications where you don't want grease to contaminate your brake shoes.

More pictures coming.

Original 3203 bearing with separate grease shield

Motion Pro bearing tool, 08-0260, 08-0268 -driver and collet

Collet inserted in bearing

Driver fitted into collet split, placed on floor and driven to spread. The wheel lifted up and bearing driven out.

Driver, inner sleeve, bearing, bearing grease shield, collet.

For future refrence, heat the hub with a soft flame on the stove or with a heat gun and the bearing will fall out, same for re-install, just drop frozen bearing in hot hub. 200F is fine

Yeah, that's a good alternative. I just don't like putting heat on my hubs like that. I know that the hub can get hot anyway from the action of the shoes. I do try to set the wheel out in the sun for a few minutes before using the removal tool and the bearings come out without too much friction.

Resurrecting this thread. . . .

Many thanks for providing the SKF part number for the front and rear wheel bearings.

Does anyone have the SKF part number for the cush drive bearings?

Re heating the hub. I bought a cheap electric hot plate that I keep in the garage. When changing wheel bearings, I place the hub on the hot plate and let it heat soak for 30-60 minutes while I do other things. This is a lot more effective than using a torch or heat gun, and a more efficient use of time as well. I've found it's helpful to leave the new bearings in the freezer overnight to ease installation.

Jake B. on the NF Facebook group found SKF part numbers for the cush drive bearings. To summarize:

Front Wheel: SKF 6203-2RS1 (quantity 2)
Rear Wheel: SKF 3203 A 2RS1 (quantity 2)
Cush Drive: SKF 6204-2RSH (quantity 2)

I just ordered these from Motion Industries (U.S. distributor with some stores local to me). I could have saved a fair bit buying on-line (i.e., eBay, Amazon, etc.), but I appreciate having these businesses around my area, and I should have them in hand tomorrow.

The SKF designations have changed as follows:

Front Wheel: SKF 6203-2RSH (quantity 2) ==> $12.57/each
Rear Wheel: SKF 3203 A 2RS1 (quantity 2) ==> $59.99/each
Cush Drive: SKF 6204-2RSH (quantity 2) ==> $15.67/each

Back