• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Odd one - anyone got a Stucchi tail tidy?

GuzziHero

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I got one of those cool looking Stucchi tail tidies for the Orange Blancmange:

DSCF2701.jpg

(yes I know the pic is crap. And I have a smaller licence plate on order!!!).

Anyway.. just decided to wash the bike and... the number plate light isnt working now.

When you look at the light, there seems to be SOD ALL protection for the wiring - its just an exposed LED strip. The fuse it comes with isnt blown... can anyone give any ideas why it might not be working?

I am guessing that water could be tracking to the led light holder, in which case it MIGHT work again once its dry, but is there anything else I can look at?

Cheers!

usually 12V isn't going to short out under water, so you might have another problem. Can you check voltage at the LED strip? Usually LEDs will have some kind of a resistor in line with them. Check the connections.

Update - I think the light unit is useless.

I went battery + to light unit wiring +, light unit - to battery -

It sparked up as I made contact but it didnt light. So if it wasnt already dead, I killed it!

But anyway... on the bike the resistance on 2000 Ohms was 1540 ignition on, 570 ignition off. I apologise - I am not an electrically skilled person, I dont know what this means.

If nothing else, I have a backup system I can employ.

As my father said - Italian electrics work up until the first point of contact with water!

GuzziHero said:
I went battery + to light unit wiring +, light unit - to battery -

But anyway... on the bike the resistance on 2000 Ohms was 1540 ignition on, 570 ignition off. I apologise - I am not an electrically skilled person, I dont know what this means.

You had resistance when measuring between between battery + and light unit +, and had resistance between ground (earth) and light unit - ?

Making these measurements will measure for excessive resistance or corrosion, or an open in the circuit.. there should be less than a few ohms when making these measurements.. also, be sure to isolate the circuit whenever measuring resistance.

I'll take some tomorrow :)

I will also take a FULL set of ohms readings, then its easier to explain what I'm talking about. I think I have done a poor job of explaining myself!

Tests have been tickled... I don't know what the hell I tested yesterday but I got different results today!

Long story short - the 2A fuse in the Stucchi supplied wiring had blown. I thought I had resistance tested it yesterday and it came out fine but obviously not.

What made it blow, I'm not sure, but damping it down with a hose before washing it probably tracked water into somewhere.

Here is a pic of the LED set anyway:
DSCF2738.jpg

A bit crude, eh? And yes I know the plate is wonky - I have a smaller one en route.

Thanks for your help folks!

___
Kirb - I'm posting pics of the bike and tidy in the Griso pic thread in a moment.

From what I can see the LEDs are the yellow parts, the resistors are the black parts. I can't see the complete circuit, so there are two options...

The DC comes in from the center and goes left through the bottom copper trace to a LED, then in series with another LED, then in series with a resistor, then the final LED. This could then be wire jumpered over to the right side with LED, LED, resistor, LED and back to the wire harness. The copper traces are the current carry paths.

The other option is that the right and left side are in parallel, but that really doesn't matter to your situation.

Are all the components covered in some kind of encapsulating substance? This would keep out the water or the copper would be in trouble. What is that goo in the center? Can you remove it to check +/-voltage? Can you remove the LED assembly without harming it?

Do you have a diode checker on your meter. It often has a symbol like a triangle with a vertical line (>|). This can be used to check LEDs as long as the forward voltage (0.7V-3V) is lower than what your meter can force.

I had a short ride on a wet road today. It came with a 2A fuse, I put a 4A in after my ride and it blew instantly.

There is no protection for the entire light set whatsoever.

I need to work something out... I am wondering if theres something missing from the kit, because if not the entire thing is ridiculous.

The blob in the centre is the wiring coming in to the board, protected by just a thick gooey mass of hot-glue gun. Its bloody shameful, and a real pity since the mount is a beauty.

I'll look for a diode checker, my meter doesnt have one. I need to get some protection on the thing.

Bulb for illuminating the plate on mine has long since died. I'd presumed that it would need to be done for MOT but the tester advised not, it is a legal requirement but not part of the test.

It remains blown.

I have one of these, and never really thought about it until I read this.
I suppose if the led strip did go, you could always get an auto electrician to fit another one.
It wouldn't be that hard.
The problem I have with mine is the number plate holder is loose.
It seemed to be getting worse and worse, so I took the plate off and one of the rivet heads dropped on the floor.
I guess the vibration due to them all being loose must have caused it to break.
I've looped cable ties around it, but it still has an alarming amount of movement.
Not the best made accessory for the Griso, but definitely one of the coolest
:-D

Just something else to add quickly.
I took mine off today, and Oh dear, I suggest anyone else who has this item fitted do the same.
It's corroded and rusted at the back really badly.
You can't see it when fitted, but believe me, it's there.
OK so I've refitted the original mudguard and plan to have the Stucchi hardware refinished.
I'll also back it with some protective tape as well, before re-fitting.
:shock:

I've lacquered mine for now. I'll see what happens.

Oh Andy... did you get these, and if so what do they do? I suspect I got the wrong fitting kit as it does not make sense to me!

DSCF2752.jpg

I just installed mine about a week ago. The light seems to work fine, though the fact your already seeing corrosion worries me. The bracket in the upper portion of the picture is the one I used to mount my rear indicators onto. The bracket in the lower portion, I had no clue what it was for! It comes with ridiculously vague installation instructions, but it all seems to work, and I love the way it looks on the SE.

How did you mount it to the bike? I tried fitting it with the under-tail luggage bobbins, but it didnt match up with anything. Or do I have to mount it between the bobbins and the screw? Seems a strange idea, but its the only way I can get it low enough to clear the taillight.

I might have another go tomorrow.

I havent seen corrosion yet, but I did lacquer the entire lot after reading about it here. Oh, and my licence plate light started working again...

Back