• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oddball Norge speedometer behavior

ITSec

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Strange days indeed...

I encountered a rather odd activity from my speedo earlier today. After starting the bike, I began riding away. I looked down after turning onto the street from the parking lot, and realized the speedo needle was pinned at the top end of its travel (I was actually going about 50). As I slowed, the needle dropped, but remained well above a normal and accurate reading. The LED max speed indicator, by the way, continued to read normally so I discounted a sensor problem.

When opportunity allowed, I turned off the engine, waited briefly, then restarted. The sweep occurred normally, but the needle would not return fully to zero. Tried this several times, the needle moved down a bit more but still read about 15 mph when on but not running. After I reached home, I left the bike turned off for about an hour, then repeated this effort to reset the unit. After two or three more on-off cycles, the needle finally returned to zero after a sweep.

It's possible the stepper motor had a brief nervous breakdown, or a spike or momentary ground loss caused the unit to temporarily lose its mind. Not too sure how to troubleshoot this one, or whether to get a stepper on order...

I experienced this behaviour a couple of times on a 1100 Breva, when the ambient temperature was really hot. It went away, never to be seen again.

My Breva 1100 still does exactly the same as you describe if its parked in direct sun striking the dash, when parking the bike now I keep the dash shaded with my gloves or helmet. Sorted .

possibly dried out bearing(s) on the stepper motor. these are available for the discerning guru - Roblatt posted here about it some time back.

Try cycling the ignition switch several times. Each time the needle sweeps it should go lower until it zeros again. If it doesn't then Tony has the answer above.

Cycling the the ignition certainly works, but it's temporary and the problem will return. I ended up having the stepper motor replaced by a friend who's handy with a welder (soldering iron - don't go into meltdown).

I got the stepper from Tanin for a reasonable price. Carmo wanted to bleed me again so I went in search and found this guy, very helpful. I can't remember the cost but I bought 2 in case the other failed. The tacho and speedo have the same part number. I confirmed this by swapping them around a couple of time when I was in repair mode. When I had trouble locating a replacement, I swapped the tacho and speedo steppers just so I could ride without being concerned about breaking speed limits.

http://www.taninauto.com/

newest revision X27.689 motor is the new number for the stepper motor

for dashboard dismantling:
https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/posts/100936/\

other related links:
https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/dashboard-interference.12501/
https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/bns12-dash-repair.15418/

if you need/want more help just shout out

Robert

I saw those threads, but since the description of the failure there differed I wanted to get an idea of what else might potentially be the problem. I may order a couple of the stepper motors and plan for action at a later date. As of now, it has gone away like Michigan J Frog....

150px-Michigan_J_Frog.svg.png

No, I had the same symptoms. I just didn't specifically list what you listed because I didn't think of it at the time, there was much going on. In fact, my speedo now, which is the old stepper motor as I didn't swap them back after the test, is currently doing what yours is on a rare occasion. I do as John says and cycle the ignition to return to zero and then it's good to go.

I have a spare stepper and will swap it if the problem gets more regular.

If in doubt, swap the steppers and see if the tacho does strange things.

Robert

Back