Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Oh dear.......

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by pete roper, Apr 15, 2013.

1. pete roper

pete roper GT Godfather!

I think I may of convinced myself that I need to trade my Mana GT on one for our trip this summer. Cali 1400 Touring will be a lot more comfortable for Jude than the Mana. We aren't getting any younger............

Pete

2. ghezzi

ghezzi High Miler GT Contributor

I allways kid myself that I can lighten a Cali to something more respectable, that's not too far away from the other sport tourers on the market, but with a starting price of 380kg ?????????

My little legs just groan with agony at the thought ..............................

You could start with a set of Todds carbon wheels :D

3. pete roper

pete roper GT Godfather!

Nope! Its not, and never will be a Sportsbike. As a trans-continental tourer with an American flavour I reckon it'll be second to none. Horses for courses and tools for the job etc......

Pete

4. ghezzi

Yeah, I know what you mean Pete. I already favour cars that are quiet, smooth, comfortable, roomy and with all the creature comforts. Can't be arsed with noise and harsh ride just so I can dream of driving fast.

Always wondered when the day would come when I would see Goldwings and Harleys as objects of desire. NOT YET!

Would a Norge be a sufficient stop gap for now?

5. Chuck in Indiana

Chuck in Indiana Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I'm a firm believer in the proper tool is about 2/3rds of the job. It would be a mighty fine tool for a trans continental trip.

6. ghezzi

I see your point guys, and yes I would still buy a Guzzi Limo before any other brand.

So Pete, are you gonna ......................

7. GreggF

GreggF Just got it firing! GT Contributor

I would love to travel to and around The States and buy one there - USD $14,990 for the Custom and $17,990 for the Tourer, compared with for a bike locally AUD $21,990 and $24,990 ! With the exchange rate at present it would mean a saving of over 35%. What is involved in privately exporting/importing one into Australia if you rode it around for 3 months in The States ?
    I wonder how Guzzi justify the price difference ?

8. ghezzi

If you own it overseas for more than 12 months, import to Australia will be free of duties/taxes/GST etc.

You need to contact customs before you embark on such a project.
    But for the savings you could fly there now, buy, register and ride it around for 2 weeks.
    Store the bike somewhere (privately), fly back 12 months later and have your 3 month tour.
    Then return home and import the bike. Sssshhhhhhh! Be very very quiet.

Alternatively, you could try "Time Share" with Mr Roper and anybody else who wants temporary ownership.

9. pete roper

pete roper GT Godfather!

Well I pulled the pin and ordered one yesterday.

Unfortunately one can't bring any bike manufactured after 1985 back to Oz unless...

a.) It is a model never imported here.

b.) you have owned and lived overseas with it for more than six months. Simply owning it isn't enough.

c.) it is categorised as 'Rare and Collectable'.

These wonderful rules are designed to 'Protect our domestic industry' which needless to say doesn't actually exist and the only 'Benefit' is to local importers who can gouge on pricing, (Although market size and the tyranny of distance do play a part as well.).

Having said that I don't think I would want a Cali14 over here. Our roads and topography make my Mana and Griso far more sensible and appropriate tools for my riding needs. For a three month, big ass tour of the USA with Jude on the back I think it will be ideal.

Pete

10. ghezzi

Another alternative for GreggF is to locate a 2nd hand/demo stateside and swing a sell back deal.
    The price drop would be far less than hiring a Hardley Rideable for 3 months.

OH! Congrats Pete on the new addition to your famiglia.

11. ARVENO

ARVENO Cruisin' Guzzisti

To register a motorcycle you have to provide an US Driver license ,and proof of insurance.
    If you're not a US resident or a US non immigrant resident ( temporary resident ) , are you sure you can register a bike in the US on your name ?
    Maybe you can buy it, but not register it .

To obtain a US driver license you gotta be legally living in the Country.

What i said is not written on stone, it's based on my personal experience and "maybe" there is a way to register a bike in your name with foreign documents.

Good luck !
    Marco

12. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Not true, not for California anyway. I've owned and registered at least four motorcycles (all Guzzi of course) and ridden at least 100,000 miles in the USA, all on a Kiwi licence. Insurance is compulsory, but other than a premium hit for a foreign licence, no problem there either.

Think I'm about to do it again! (Shhh, don't tell the wife :evil:)

13. guzzi jon

guzzi jon High Miler GT Contributor

Hi Dave,
    Let me know when you are back in LA, would like to hook up with you again.
    Cheers,
    Jon

14. ARVENO

ARVENO Cruisin' Guzzisti

Sounds good !!
    As I said my comment was based on my experience....not written in stone , Here in the social republic of NY things are different.... and well...we all know that in California they are one step forward. ;)

Best
    Marco

15. pete roper

pete roper GT Godfather!

I managed to tag both my Griso in Texas and my Mana in Florida with an Australian licence. I needed a US address but that was all.

Pete

16. Niko

Niko Just got it firing!

[To obtain a US driver license you gotta be legally living in the Country.
    Good luck !
    Marco[/quote]

Not if you are a Mexican and own a leaf blower! :lol: