Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Oh No - Not Tires

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by abbienormal, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Mark Fechtel

Mark Fechtel Just got it firing!

It's a mystery, then. My rear tires have always worn evenly, which would seem to rule out the crowned road theory.

2. Dusty1

Dusty1 Just got it firing!

I'm getting 17,000 Kilometers ( 10563 miles) out of my front stock tire rear stock tire still looking new

3. roadventure

roadventure GT Reference GT Famiglia

You must have gotten a defective set of the OEM Dunlop D251tires. ;) The best I did was a little over 5K on the rear.

PaulDavies likes this.
  4. Tuono

Tuono Tuned and Synch'ed

Time to replace the Metzeler ME800's
    Front 35,892 kms
    Rear 20,087 kms

I'll be fitting Metzeler's again.

Regards

Tuono

John L likes this.
  5. John L

John L Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

My ME888's have around 13,000kms on them and are wearing well but I don't think I'll get anywhere near those figures.

6. Fast1400

Fast1400 Tuned and Synch'ed

My rear Avon Cobra went flat on me today after I hit a road hazard (tried to avoid but it was it or the ditch).
    About 2 minutes after I hit the hazard I noticed excessive noise from the rear of the bike (no helmet today, very hot up here in the Northeast) and 'squirrelly' rear end feel, the tire had broken its bead on both sides and gone entirely flat BUT I still made it home (about 10 miles) on that heavy rubber donut without any wheel damage at normal road speed. Not something I'd expect from a MC tire, the tire had about 3K on it and the tread and sidewall don't even look chewed up from being ridden flat for 10 miles but obviously not where the puncture is. I know fer sure that wouldn't be the case on my old '71 ElDorado.

7. JerrysGuzzi

JerrysGuzzi Just got it firing!

8. JerrysGuzzi

JerrysGuzzi Just got it firing!

I remember I 77 well. got lost in the fog one day, couldn't hear or see a thing.

9. CBJoe

CBJoe Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Just tried to plow through this whole thread to educate myself on best tire options. I have now gone through 2 rear Metzeler ME880's getting appx. 6k Miles on the first one and 5k on the 2nd (may do another 1000...but it's squared off pretty bad and I worry about wet weather riding). We mostly ride 2 up with gear and ad a duffel no the luggage rack.

I put an Avon AV72 on the Front appx. 3400 miles ago and have been fairly happy with it. I need to re-check the balance as speeds over 80mph seem produce a bit of vibration in the front (maybe time to use the dynabeads I have).

Tossing this out there as most seem to be talking about the AV72's and Excedra Max tires lately...but it seems there were good things to say about the Michelin Commander II 180/65-B16 81H Size tire in the past. I'm looking for a high mileage tire that wont square off on me so fast.

Anyone have any negative thoughts for heavy touring on the Michelin?

Regards, Joe

10. roadventure

I don't have any experience with the Michelin Commander tires, but was talking to another California owner who recently had them installed and says he likes them. Personally, I have always had good luck with the AVONS, which I have mounted now. Got about 11K miles out of the rear and the front will run to 18K I think.

11. CBJoe

CBJoe Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Do you run 2 up loaded much with those Avons?

12. roadventure

No passenger. But loaded with about 320 lbs of me and gear.

13. Josh Harvey

Josh Harvey Just got it firing! GT Contributor

What are people running for pressures with the Cobra's?

14. roadventure

40 PSI Rear
    36 PSI Front

15. rudylexus

rudylexus Just got it firing!

Hi, last year i bought Michelin commander and did a roadtrip to Skandinavië of 9000 km.
    This year a 6 weeks, 7000 km roadtrip to Romanië with the same tyres. So, more than 16000 km, 2 persons and lugage. There is still 4 mm left in the middle. They started a little cupping, but stil rides good. I am very pleased with them. Grtz Rudy
    P1020922.JPG

16. Mike Floyd

Mike Floyd Just got it firing!

Wow you are doing well. I am running Cobras and so far have about 7,000kms on the rear and about half worn. Front are Cobras too and it has 14,000kms and about two thirds worn. I don't work my tyres hard. The original Dunlop tyres wore out after no time at all (8,000kms) so I went to AVON Cobras and the first set I got about 13,000kms on the rear. I am at about 28,000kms since I bought the bike in January 2016. HAVING A BALL ON IT TOO.

Rosscoe674 likes this.
  17. John L

John L Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Original Dunlops on my Eldo lasted 11,000kms, replaced with Metzler Marathon Ultra 888's just replaced them at 26,400kms. Couldn't get white walls in time for a trip so went black, I quite like them and they won't need cleaning every time I wash the bike.:)

Attached Files:

bobw likes this.
  18. LuftWolf

LuftWolf Tuned and Synch'ed

I run 25 Bar Front & 27 Bar on the rear on my set of Cobra's. Excellent Tires!

bobw likes this.
  19. groundhog105

groundhog105 Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

How has that 180-70-16 worked out for you. I just bought the same tire but haven’t mounted it yet. Any problem with the TC with that tire?

20. Smartleynz

Smartleynz Tuned and Synch'ed

The 180 Avon has been great, hangs on well in wet or dry and has given consistent Ks on our rough Kiwi roads, I also changed the front tyre size DOWN to a 120/70ZR18 Pilot Road 4 GT, which has helped handling heaps, seems to turn in nicer with the 180 than the original tyre.Michelin Pilot Road 4's would be my tyre of choice if only they made a 16 or Guzzi had used a 17 "rim. I am happy with this combo but will probably try a Commander 2 on the back next time mainly to pair up the Michelins. I have also gone to a heavier weight Fork oil,, that also made a noticeable difference in and out of corners,10 weight from memory.35000k loving it.

Rickhinnz likes this.